Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyLevy View Post
    You got me scared again because I didn't try it with a person only with a chart. I'm going to test the damn thing again but can't do it for a few days. What distance are you testing at?
    I’m sure yours is fine if the chart was on point. I did one test at about 10 feet and another at about 5. Each had the same issue. I hope it’s the lens and not the camera, as that will cause any parfocal lens to do this.

2. Collapse Details
    My friend bought a new FS7 Mark II and an 18-110 and the lens was clearly very soft on his camera, but fine on my FS7. We checked very carefully, so he sent the camera back to Sony and they said the camera & lens checked out fine. However they sent him another pair anyway because he insisted and they were fine. I'm not sure what the lesson is about that except stick to your guns until you get something that works from Sony. If you can of course check it with another camera.

3. Collapse Details
    Are you recording in 4k? The lens is perfectly par focal in 1080HD on the fs7, but in my experience the electronic correction that is applied there is not available in 4k ( on the fs7) and the lens becomes much less par focal and more like a DSLR lens in terms of zoom and refocus.
    www.vanheestvisual.com
    FS7 / A7Sii Owner / Operator
    MoVi Pro

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes. View Post
    Are you recording in 4k? The lens is perfectly par focal in 1080HD on the fs7, but in my experience the electronic correction that is applied there is not available in 4k ( on the fs7) and the lens becomes much less par focal and more like a DSLR lens in terms of zoom and refocus.
    For me it happens in both 4k and 1080. This is on the FS5.

5. Collapse Details
    Im sure I read somewhere .. that it came down to which one you got.. some were "more" par focal than others.. Does Sony actually claim straight out its a par focal lens.. ?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Donny 123 View Post
    Im sure I read somewhere .. that it came down to which one you got.. some were "more" par focal than others.. Does Sony actually claim straight out its a par focal lens.. ?
    This is what Sony says: "unwanted image shifts from issues including focus breathing and axial shift and focus shift while zooming are significantly reduced by Sony’s innovative SMO (Smooth Motion Optics) design and construction."

7. Collapse Details
    I've had '0' problems with parfocal performance in both HD and 4K. If both the lens and camera are on spec the 18-110 delivers. I'm getting exactly the same sort of results as outlined in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1mx2AKjv2k

If you aren't getting the same sort of results take the whole thing back to Sony to get it sorted. Especially if it's under warranty.

It isn't the best lens in the world. It's a carbon composite construction body with metal internals like the new Fujinon MK series. For me for the price of the lens and the performance it delivers for that price has been a no brainer.

Chris Young

8. Collapse Details
    "significantly reduced " I,ll bet their lawyers wrote this one..

9. Collapse Details
    I use this lens on an FS5 and it is great. I have none of issues that have been described here. It has made my life my easier in the field.

One question: You did turn lens compensation 'off' correct? It should not be in the 'on position for this lens.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jc01108 View Post
    I use this lens on an FS5 and it is great. I have none of issues that have been described here. It has made my life my easier in the field.

One question: You did turn lens compensation 'off' correct? It should not be in the 'on position for this lens.
    Really? I wasn’t aware of this. Many of the reviews on this lens say it should be on, and some actually show before and after pictures of the pincushion and chromatic abberation being removed when turning it on. I’m sure those tests were done with the FS7 mkii since it’s the kit lens though. So on the FS5 correction should be off?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast