Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    GH5S color compared to GH5
    I've been hearing chatter that the two cameras color is different but I don't see much of a difference. I set the cameras to "Standard" with the same settings. White balanced and shot the chart. Pretty straightforward.

On the vectorscope, the gH5 does appear slightly more saturated. I can see that but it's really slight. Some of the colors lineup a tad differently but again so very slight. Yellow does look to be more accurate now.

Make sense the color isn't exactly the same since it's a new sensor but Panasonic did a good job in matching them as opposed to tweaking and improving.

GH5 GH5S Color Test.jpg
    Last edited by Erik Naso; 02-10-2018 at 10:04 AM.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    erik-

thanks for the effort and the sharing.

be well.

rob
    smalltalk.productions/nyc
    the story is never black & white
    it takes Smalltalk to reveal the color

smalltalk.productions

3. Collapse Details
    Erik,

Assume it will take awhile, but any idea when your review be posted? Still trying to decide whether to add a GH5s or just pickup another GH5.

4. Collapse Details
    The "S" version looks like it removes some of the green tint in the non-"S" version.

5. Collapse Details
    What's harder to notice in a chart test is that the GH5s color rendition seems to be "richer" across the board in subtle ways. (Sorry, I hate use a non-technical term like that, but I haven't gotten my hands on one just yet.)

Another thing to consider is that the GH5s will hold onto that color at much higher ISOs. After 1600, GH5 color starts shifting pretty fast.

6. Collapse Details
    I've found there is no colour difference between the two. As Joe says, it's more about the S holding onto the dynamic range for much longer thanks to dual ISO.
    Paul Leeming
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer/Actor
    Visceral Psyche Films
    www.visceralpsyche.com
    www.LeemingLUTPro.com

Mobile NL: +31 6 2095 2590
    Mobile JP: +81 80 8439 4635
    Facebook: Paul Leeming

7. Collapse Details
    We've found the GH5s to be both cleaner and provides a much better color/look at least when using V Log (haven't tried the other profiles). IMHO the GH5s is just a different beast than the GH5 when it comes to how it looks. Sold my GH5 last week and good bye to it and the never ending search for decent looking skin tones. The GH5s has been a great compliment to both our C300's and our Scarlet Dragon. Cleaner image and a much better starting point in terms of color. I can grade it without using a lut - just using curves gets me 90% there. It almost seems more like a Sony than a Panasonic look.
    Last edited by carlone; 02-13-2018 at 07:30 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by carlone View Post
    We've found the GH5s to be both cleaner and provides a much better color/look at least when using V Log (haven't tried the other profiles). IMHO the GH5s is just a different beast than the GH5 when it comes to how it looks. Sold my GH5 last week and good bye to it and the never ending search for decent looking skin tones. The GH5s has been a great compliment to both our C300's and our Scarlet Dragon. Cleaner image and a much better starting point in terms of color. I can grade it without using a lut - just using curves gets me 90% there. It almost seems more like a Sony than a Panasonic look.
    Can you clarify the differences you are seeing in the color reproduction? I'm taking from your comment you perceive a much bigger delta than what I hear form most users.

I ask because color quality is really my most valued attribute in a camera. I found the GH5 to be a major improvement over the GH4, but wasn't expecting there to be much difference between the GH5 and GH5s at "normal" ISO's. I'm also sitting a few blocks away from B&H right now trying to decide if I'm going to pull the trigger.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    What's harder to notice in a chart test is that the GH5s color rendition seems to be "richer" across the board in subtle ways. (Sorry, I hate use a non-technical term like that, but I haven't gotten my hands on one just yet.)

Another thing to consider is that the GH5s will hold onto that color at much higher ISOs. After 1600, GH5 color starts shifting pretty fast.
    I found the GH5S color shifts with a green push at the higher ISO levels.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by carlone View Post
    We've found the GH5s to be both cleaner and provides a much better color/look
    Can we camp here a bit?

I shot for dozens of hours last year on the GH5, and this is all from unscientific first impressions, but the GH5s *does* seem to have a better look. Please understand I am saying this without even running a side by side, but the footage I am getting back - not just talking low light - seems more pleasing and natural to the eye. The camera has barely been out so I've seen very little info or comparisons online regarding this, but I'd love to hear more from you or others regarding the overall aesthetic of the GH5s.

It is subtle, but I do notice it. Maybe it's placebo. Maybe it's just the environments in which I've filmed. Or maybe it's legitimate effect of a totally different sensor that just happens to be the same (approx) m43 size. I'll need to do testing on my end but your comment caught my eye.

Paul, have you noticed any change in DR in your tests?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast