Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Introduction to the Z90, NX80, and AX700
    In case anyone is interested, the first chapter (32 minutes) of my five-hour PXW-Z90 master class training video series can now be streamed at Vimeo.
    Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
    http://www.dougjensen.com/

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    This is even better than I anticipated! It will appeal to amateurs and pros. Now I just have to raid my retirement account and buy a Z90.

3. Collapse Details
    Nice watch.

Can u disable the momitor cutting out when u hold the camera close to your body?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Nice watch.

Can u disable the momitor cutting out when u hold the camera close to your body?
    Thanks, Morgan. If you don't want the LCD panel to cut out when the EVF proximity sensor detects your body, face, etc. you can just turn off the EVF by making sure it is retracted. The EVF slides in and out from the camera body to turn it on. And whenever it is not extended, then the proximity sensor is disabled and the LCD panel won't cut out unless you fold it against the camera body to turn it off. It's a great design. Very nice to never have to use a power button. You just pull out the viewfinder and/or flip out the LCD to turn the camera on, and it is ready to go in about 5 seconds.

5. Collapse Details
    Here's another video I posted a few days ago made up of demo footage I'll be showing at NAB that was shot using nothing but Auto Focus. Some of it is new footage and some of it was originally shot for my master class. I'll have to admit that the Fast Hybrid AF does a much better job following actiont hat I can do manually. In the demo footage you only see the camera slip a few times, much fewer than if I was shooting some of those birds with manual.

6. Collapse Details
    Interesting. It seems a couple of the shots the human subject (eg mr smoker) clears frame and you cut very hard.. does the AF intstantly race off - which seems, not too good.

It is great to hear an oldshool MF guy finally admit that AF outdoes one for non narative work especially long lens approches.

This camera is somewhat on our radar for lo profile work - do you think it is a 'keeper'

(I dont buy a lot of cameras and expect them to last 5+ years.. ex1 (keeper) FS100 (fail) F3 (fail) fs7 (keeper))

29mm is such a shame - if they got to 24 (even with a doubling of price!) it would really excite me.

S

7. Collapse Details
    The reason the smoker shot cuts off quickly is because I trimmed and graded that shot clear back last October -- before I knew I would want to use it to demonstrate how the AF functions. I have been on the road for a few months and do not have access to the original footage at this time, so I cannot recall what happens after he clears frame. There are several shots like that in this demo that are cut short for that reason. I could post that shot again around May 10th when I get back home, but I doubt anybody cares about it that much. In the mean time, look at the Great Blue Heron as his head goes in and out of frame (due to my not following him well enough) while snatching fish from the water. The focus does not slip in those instances. When his head comes back into frame, it's still in focus. Also, the camera has quite a few different menus to customize how quickly the focus reacts to changes like that, how much priority it gives to other subjects coming into frame, etc. Pretty complicated if someone really wants to get into it. For me, the default mode will work good enough.

The lens is a 19mm f/2.8 super35mm equivalent at the wide end, so not too bad.

Is it a keeper? It is for me right now. I sold my Z150 and will be keeping the Z90 for the foreseeable future as my little run & gun cam. I have already used it with the top handle removed in a few places that absolutely would have attracted too much attention for even the Z150, let alone the bigger cameras. For the price, I think it is a real bargain when you look at the features and image quality.
    Last edited by Doug Jensen; 03-25-2018 at 04:55 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Doug, I bought your training and it's been excellent - thanks!
    Quick question (hopefully to pass onto Sony, unless you know?) - Why can they not add wireless live streaming to Youtube like they have for Ustream?
    Ideally I'd like to connect my NX80 to my phone via wifi and stream via LTE, it seems only JVC allow this - why?

9. Collapse Details
    Doug, I’m trying to decide between the NX80, Z90, or the Canon xf400. The Z90, or NX80 are my first choice, but do they have a pre-record function? It’s very important to me for wildlife filming.
    I watched the intro chapter for your course for the Sony cams. Looks excellent.

10. Collapse Details
    Nic, I don't know anything about the XF400, but I do know that neither of those two Sony cameras offers the Picture Cache function. I would love to have that feature too, but it's not going to happen. So I generally just let the camera roll if I think there a chance something good is going to happen when I'm shooting wildlife or sports. The XAVC files from these camera are so lightweight that I don't mind just dealing with the extra (wasted) footage in post. It is pretty simple to eliminate the crap and condense the footage down to the good stuff in post very quickly with Catalyst Browse or Resolve.

However, with all that said, the cameras do offer something similar to picture cache, called "End Trigger" for use when you are shooting in the Super Slow-Motion mode. It's handy whenever you can NOT predict when the action you want to capture is going to happen. With this choice, the camera will always be buffering the video internally -- and when you see something happen that you want to save – you press the record button -- and then the camera will save the last 6 seconds of whatever was in the buffer at the moment you pressed the Record button. I cover it in detail during CHAPTER 19: S&Q MOTION.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast