Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The current state of Nikon DSLR video?
    Hi all,

I've had a call from one of my big clients, and due to some possible sponsorships, they might be required to shoot everything on Nikon cameras moving forward (they do print & web as well as video/tv so it makes sense in the broader context... just not really for video!).

It's been a while since I paid any attention to the DSLR video world, and even back when I shot on DSLR's it was never on Nikon. So I have a lot of catching up to do in the world of Nikon-for-video.

So far my biggest concern is shooting with the reversed focus rings of Nikon lenses, but is there anything else I need to be aware of? What is the best Nikon camera for video (price not an issue, as it'd likely be loaners anyway)? Does the D850 best the higher-up D5?

A couple of things I'm particularly curious about:

- Is the 1080p slow-mo usable? Or is it pretty much the same 5DmkII-level 1080p we've had for nearly 10-years?
    - Is there any benefit to an external recorder? I'd likely add one if for nothing else to get XLR audio inputs & better monitoring.
    - What are the colour profiles like? Is there anything close to a log profile?
    - Any quirks with manual control? (If I recall correctly the early Nikons worked better with fully manual lenses otherwise you didn't get accurate DOF or exposure preview)

I'm not expecting the Nikon's to be proper video or cinema cameras, but I've shot on the 5DmkII & mkIII in the past and am hoping things have improved a little since then.

Looking forward to being schooled on all the ins and outs of shooting with Nikon!
    VIDEO PRODUCER ON THE NSW NORTH COAST, AUSTRALIA
    Sony FS700 || Shogun Inferno
    Adobe CC 2018

2. Collapse Details
    I can't offer you any sensible advice; other than to say that after 30yrs of using Nikon for stills, I hope they go the way of the dodo

For a company that has NO professional video lines to protect; they are the most arrogant in their failure to understand that many of us want/need video features.

5 yrs ago, all 3rd party manufacturers only cared about Nikon & Canon. Now, they make their products to also suit Panasonic & Sony; theres a reason why those two have become hugely popular.

3. Collapse Details
    The Nikon D5/D500/D7500 all pretty much have the same video features. I think there's a crop on top of the crop for the D500/D7500, so you may want to research that.

The big one is the D850, which has the full-frame 4K. (Hard camera to find for the correct price.)

They all have a headphone and microphone input, and Nikon's 'FLAT' profile (it's not LOG).

I haven't spent time with any of them, but these are the only Nikon cameras worth considering for video. They are missing a lot of modern day features other cameras have, but the colors have always been beautiful IMO.

Some videos:

NIkon D850 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMgbYEc6Sjk&t=58s

Nikon D5 - https://vimeo.com/161794693

EOSHD has a nice write-up on the D850 too: https://www.eoshd.com/2017/10/nikon-d850-vs-everything/

4. Collapse Details
    Yes, the D850 is the one to get. It's not up to par with Sony (in terms of DR) or Panasonic (codec), but it's not bad at all.

5. Collapse Details
    Another vote for the D850 if Nikon is the requirement.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks, so it looks like I'll be asking for a few D850's then.

I'd already read that post from EOSHD, but to be honest, I take anything he says with a grain of salt.
    Adobe CC 2018

7. Collapse Details
    I mainly use it for stills, but the D750 video has nice colors and DR. Quite soft though. Flat profile seems to have a legit 12 stops or so. Codec is decent for how tiny the bitrate is.

8. Collapse Details
    850's pushing a kit now:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ker_s_kit.html

Of course it's in stock (as of right now), but the body hasn't been available anywhere I've been checking for the last 4 months (besides eBay).

9. Collapse Details
    Looks like I'll be getting a few D850's in July.

Until then, is there anyone with a D850 who can help answer the following questions:

1) How is the 1080p? Is it better than the 5DmkII/III? Close the to A7s? Or is this cam only really only useful when shooting 4K?
    2) Can it put the 120p slow-mo out over the HDMI? Or is HDMI limited to 60p?
    3) How do you normally grade the FLAT profile? Any good LUTs for a REC709/standard look?
    Adobe CC 2018

10. Collapse Details
    Here's a video I came across when researching the 850. There is more info in the description, but in short it was mostly shot in 120p (some 4K) with a tweaked FLAT profile (graded in post too)...maybe you can get an idea of what the camera can do.

I use the FLAT profile from a D7500 and it's actually really nice. These newer modern DSLRs are producing some nice images (video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFzECPYBv_0&t=2s

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast