Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    The D850 actually produces some incredibly nice images (with good glass) considering the 8-bit 4:2:0 limitations. I've shot a short run-n-gun handheld project and a couple of long interviews, one with green screen.

For hand-held without any stabilization, it's obviously not so great. I did have a folded monopod attached to help, and was using a couple of the rare Nikon lenses with image stabilization, but due to size/weight/form factor it was very shaky--mostly for this I was shooting 1080p120 so that of course made the shots stable. The sensor has some strong rolling shutter fx.

For the first interview I shot out ProRes HQ to an Inferno. The subject had fairly weak lighting with the background being a window on a sunny day. I was impressed with how much I was able to retrieve from the highlights in the background--again, given the 8-bit 4:2:0 limitations. Shot 1080p24.

The second interview was cut to 25 minutes, all green screen. Also shot 1080p24 out to an Inferno, running 2 mics through a zoom, into the camera and then into the Inferno (I didn't want to deal with offsetting the sync lag by going straight from the zoom to the Inferno's xlrs). Got a really nice key with 5 chroma and 1 ultra key. Footage also held up well to color grading to match different scenes.

Did some test 4K test shots but that's it so can't comment on 4K performance. It's a good camera for stix and probably gimbal, not good for hand-held or whip pans.

I've just ordered an FS5m2 to be my A Cam, with kit lens and an active adapter to utilize the image stabilization of the Nikon ES lenses. This will be used for all run-n-gun, as well as studio shots, going out up to 4Kp60 ProRes Raw. The D850 will be my B Cam.

EDIT: I should mention that the still images from this sensor are absolutely incredible.
    Last edited by Saddler; 05-30-2018 at 02:55 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the info Saddler.

Have you done much shooting with the D850/Inferno combo?

One thing I just can't get confirmation on from anywhere is whether the D850 can output the 120p over HDMI - any chance you've tested this with the Inferno?
    VIDEO PRODUCER ON THE NSW NORTH COAST, AUSTRALIA
    Sony FS700 || Shogun Inferno
    Adobe CC 2018

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by deltoidjohn View Post
    I'm not expecting the Nikon's to be proper video or cinema cameras, but I've shot on the 5DmkII & mkIII in the past and am hoping things have improved a little since then. !
    The good news is Nikon is way way ahead of Canon's old 5Dmk2/mk3 cameras! In fact Nikon had been ahead of Canon DSLRs in many areas for years and years now.

The bad news: still not going to be as great as shooting with say a Panasonic or Sony, or a dedicated video/cinema camera.

However if you at least pair it with a good camera op monitor such as a SmallHD Focus or SmallHD 502 then you'll be pretty sorted for some of your needs at least.

Oh and get a Sound Devices MixPre3 as well if you'd like a very portable/compact rig paired with an audio recorder which will be automatically triggered over HDMI.

Quote Originally Posted by deltoidjohn View Post
    - Is the 1080p slow-mo usable? Or is it pretty much the same 5DmkII-level 1080p we've had for nearly 10-years?
    Haha! No, it is better than that for sure. Don't worry, if you're coming from Canon DSLR shooting I think you'll have the potential to be perfectly happy shooting with Nikons! (aside from the lack of DPAF & ML)
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12