1. Collapse Details
    UHD: Panasonic HC-X1 vs Sony AX100 or GH5?
    Hi, now I use a Sony AX100 for my UHD video documentaries around the world (look at my signature). I'd like to buy a videocamera that can give a better image quality, otherwise I will continue to film with Sony AX100. I mean better definition, chromatism, color quality, etc. My budget is around 4000-4500 euro. I think Panasonic HC-X1 is a good videocamera but it has two handicaps for me. It is the bigger and heavier than my Sony AX100. I can think to buy it only if this videocamera gives a real better and clear image quality that my Sony AX100. I watched many videos on the Internet but I can't trust them. I need your suggestions, above all if you use or used both Panasonic HC-X1 vs Sony AX100.
    But I can buy also a GH5 if it is a good camera for me. But I don't believe it.
    Thanks
    A lonely traveller looking for lost tribes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwt...ow=grid&view=0

2. Collapse Details
    Given your budget you might consider buying an ENG camera like the new Sony AX700 ( which is an improved version of the AX100 plus LOG and HLG image profiles, and it has 2 card slots for simultaneous recording or relay recording ) and the GH5 with a couple lenses. I currently shoot with the Sony X70 and GH5 cameras, and to my eye the GH5 produces a superior looking image, but it doesn't have a long parfocal zoom lens like the X70 does, so my shooting style is very different for each camera. For live event work the X70 is easier to work with because of the zoom, where things are slower to set-up and shoot with the GH5 but it's a much nicer looking image. ( 4K 10-bit is hard to beat for good color )

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for your precious suggestions. Out of curiosity: do you think GH5 can be ok for my documentaries? Or is it better a videocamera for them? Another question: if you shot at UHD or 4K 10bit you have to play those clips on a 10 bit TV. Is it right? Is a 4K TV able to play 4K 10bit?
    Last edited by FoxAdriano; 01-25-2018 at 11:31 PM.
    A lonely traveller looking for lost tribes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwt...ow=grid&view=0

4. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxAdriano View Post
    Out of curiosity: do you think GH5 can be ok for my documentaries?
    I think your talent matters far more than which camera you shoot with.

I would try looking at some of the GH5 videos on Vimeo or YouTube, like this one...

Wild Namibia (Panasonic GH5 / 422 10bits)

...to get some idea of the image the GH5 can produce.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxAdriano View Post
    if you shot at UHD or 4K 10bit you have to play those clips on a 10 bit TV. Is it right? Is a 4K TV able to play 4K 10bit?
    It depends on your TV and what format you are shooting with. The GH5 and the AX700 cameras both support HLG recording ( the GH5 does this in 10-bit ), which is a lower bit-rate format designed to play on 4K TV sets that have HLG support.

You can also create an 8-bit version from your 10-bit footage when editing, so you can still produce very high quality 8-bit work, with the option to produce a 10-bit version when you need to. Lots of options to play with, just be prepared for the learning curve that comes with this new technology.