Thread: On The Edge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    On The Edge
    In an attempt to get this section back on track to production diaries and not just "here's my short, watch and let me know what you think", I'm starting a thread for a new feature that I hope to be able to do either this summer or next.

Yes, I'm still trying to get the funding for the third part of my Leap series, but the budget is out of reach for what I want to do. Same goes for my supernatural thriller, Derek. I've been working on a lot of shorts lately but really miss doing features. I enjoy the writing, the planning, shooting and post being spread out over a year or more for one film, so I decided to do something about it.

20451740_10212713361083370_6735379797559565686_o.jpg
    34582851_10215218499270259_3038784860517826560_n.jpg

This is me. I am what many would consider to be an adrenaline junkie. Snowboarding, parkour, even aggressive in-line skating back in the day. Ever since seeing the original "Point Break" as a kid, I've been fascinated with skydiving, but I always thought you needed a lot of money to do it and I didn't think there was anywhere near me that offered it. About a year ago, I finally decided to look into the feasibility of jumping from a plane and was surprised by how affordable it is and that there was a drop zone just three hours from me. I brought it up to my friends and we agreed to go for my birthday in May.

Eventually the big day came and everyone suddenly was sick or busy. Go figure. I drove to the DZ alone and just took it all in. While waiting for my turn to go up, I began to get a sense of the culture and realized that "these are my people". When I finally got to up up and make the tandem jump, it was the best experience of my life. Freefall was the most amazing thing in the world and for the next few weeks, it was all I could talk about to anyone who would listen. In those 35 seconds, I was truly free and nothing else mattered.

A month later, I was back at the drop zone taking my "first jump course" and began the journey to getting my A license. I jumped all summer and when winter arrived, it was the most depressed I've been since losing my dog in the fire. It was then that I realized there's a story here. It's a bit autobiographical, but I thought what if there was a guy who was into all this extreme stuff, not for the rush, but because it helps him cope with some personal issues. He discovers skydiving is the ultimate way to keep things in check and commits to the sport. Winter hits, depression ensues, his issues come to light and his girl breaks up with him. Now he has to learn to cope on his own until jump season begins again. When he does get to go back, he meets a girl who used to be an addict and jumps for basically the same reason he does.

If you talk to any jumper, we'll tell you that there's never been a movie that accurately portrays skydiving. It's always sensationalized or used by thieves. I figure this might be the chance to actually make a film that represents the sport realistically. If I treat it as a drama with some skydiving rather than an extreme sports film, I think the story will have a chance to shine and I can probably shoot it for very little money once I have enough jumps to fly with a camera.

So that's my big plan right now. I've written the treatment and I'm happy with it. The overall feedback I've gotten when pitching the film has been positive and I have about six pages written so far, including an opening scene that could be done as a short to help get people on board with it. My biggest problem at the moment is figuring out what the main character's "issue" is that living on the edge helps him cope with.
    Last edited by El Director; 07-18-2018 at 11:39 AM.

Independent Filmmaker
    BMD URSA Mini 4K/Avid Media Composer/NukeX/Blender/Mixcraft/ProTools/Resolve Studio

Feature Films
    Wulf - 2008 | Leap - 2010 | Leap: Rise of the Beast - 2011 | Surviving The Wild - 2020

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    I applaud you but daresay this section is mostly dead. . .if you look at all the threads, most of them have 0 replies, and a "good" one has like 14 replies. Maybe for what you're doing ( an actual journal) it makes more sense, but people have typically been posting their films in the camera section related to how the film was shot. I made this mistake with a music video, may repost in the camera section.

3. Collapse Details
    Sounds like a promising premise for a film. I'll definitely keep my eye on this thread. Best of luck!
    Jaime Vallés
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
    I applaud you but daresay this section is mostly dead. . .if you look at all the threads, most of them have 0 replies, and a "good" one has like 14 replies. Maybe for what you're doing ( an actual journal) it makes more sense, but people have typically been posting their films in the camera section related to how the film was shot. I made this mistake with a music video, may repost in the camera section.
    I've noticed. I want to see this section get back to what it used to be. It used to be pretty popular, and I always enjoyed hearing about other's experiences getting their films made, especially features. I'm hoping others making features will be inspired to keep journals again too and post them here. Could be a long shot, but it's worth a try.

Independent Filmmaker
    BMD URSA Mini 4K/Avid Media Composer/NukeX/Blender/Mixcraft/ProTools/Resolve Studio

Feature Films
    Wulf - 2008 | Leap - 2010 | Leap: Rise of the Beast - 2011 | Surviving The Wild - 2020

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Valles View Post
    Sounds like a promising premise for a film. I'll definitely keep my eye on this thread. Best of luck!
    Thank you, Jaime

Independent Filmmaker

Feature Films

6. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    I'm glad you have an idea you're excited about. When I read such short pitches about dramas, I always think to myself, this would benefit from a stabbing somewhere in the story. It's sort of like this experiment, where it refers to novels and short stories, but transposed into a film:

And Then The Murders Began: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/and-th...-murders-began

"“And Then The Murders Began” refers to a series of tweets testing the theory that the first line of any story can be improved if its second sentence is changed to “And then the murders began.”

Origin
    On March 3rd, 2017, author Marc Laidlaw tweeted “The first line of almost any story can be improved by making sure the second line is, ‘And then the murders began.’”[1] The tweet gained over 1,600 retweets and 347 replies."

Anyhow, very amusingly, it does appear to work most of the time.

Same here - I have no idea where you're going with your story, but I figure it'll improve dramatically if you include a stabbing somewhere in there.

7. Collapse Details
    The irony is that my background is horror and Christian action. Drama is new territory for me, but I like the idea of including a good stabbing

Independent Filmmaker

Feature Films

8. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    I like your spirit! The stabbing could be anything. What if he was mugged, and stabbed, but then through some crazy circumstance befriends the stabber and finds out what led the guy to do such a terrible thing, and it leads to a journey for both of them where they discover things about themselves they had no idea - perhaps now the stabber helps our hero who falls into the depression you were describing. Anyhow, a million ways of doing it - the stabbing could be a trigger point that then takes us into your story. Best of luck, I hope you keep your excitement level high, that's a prerequisite to successful filmmaking.

9. Collapse Details
    show us your short

this isn't a discussion group

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Read the guidlines.

"We have designed the "USER FILMS" section as a place for folks to post PRODUCTION DIARIES and BEHIND THE SCENES on the making of their shorts, features, music videos, commercials, etc.

It seems as though this section has become a "catch all" for a number of threads without anything but "watch my video" or "what do you think about this clip?" (These kinds of threads should be in their appropriate clip forum). We would like this section to get back to what it was originally designed for. "

Independent Filmmaker

Feature Films

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast