1. Collapse Details
    HVX200p audio issues
    I've been filming with my hvx and when I review my clips in post, my audio is very low and dull. It really only catches the pop and the land of the trick i'm filming.

If anyone has any insight on what's going on here/ how to fix this that'd be great!

Thank you.

2. Collapse Details
    Post #1! Welcome. Maybe I can help.

Now the questions begin:

Is this the first time this has happened or are you new to the cam?

Are you using an external mic? If so, which one? Is phantom power on?

If you are using the built in mic, which records to tracks 3-4 on the HVX, is automatic gain control (AGC) set?

How are you monitoring the audio?

Offhand thoughts:

AGC can be a real enemy when levels change suddenly, it is almost always best to set levels manually.

If you are using an external mic, it may require phantom power supplied by the cam. If the mic needs it, and it isn't turned on, your levels will be very low.

The way you monitor audio during and after recording can vary wildly depending on an entire chain of parameters, so work through each one to make sure your hearing what has actually been recorded. i.e.: is it a monitoring problem or a recording problem.

Hope this will get you far enough to ask more questions.

Grant

3. Collapse Details
    1. I'm new with the camera, the audio has been dull since the first usage of the camera.
    2.I'm just using the built in microphone.

Thank you for the reply.

4. Collapse Details
    I'm not trying to punt here, but will make a suggestion: Do you have a copy of the HVX book by Barry Green? He is one of the founders of DVXuser and wrote the definitive book about the HVX among several other Pannycams. Not sure if it is still in print, but maybe Barry has some or eBay for sure. This book delves into the minutia of the HVX cam and covers virtually every feature. Highly recommended and is a good reference in general.

Ok, so I dug my copy up and I was reminded that the cam doesn't actually have auto gain control, only a limiter. You cannot control channels 3 or 4. You can point the internal mic to channels 1 and 2 by flipping the audio select switch to "int" for internal. That will allow you to control the audio with the volume controls recorded by the internal mic to channels 1-2. You may want to record those tracks at two different levels. You can activate metering on your flip out to see what is happening. In addition, using headphones to monitor the audio would be highly recommended. And more; don't have high expectations of the internal mic or you will be disappointed most every time. Using an external mic is almost always better and get the mic off the camera and close to the source would be much much better.

That should give you a little to chew on.
    Grant

5. Collapse Details
    Thank you very much for the insight. It's greatly appreciated. In addition, what external microphone would you suggest?

6. Collapse Details
    I actually just figured out my audio settings. Thank you very much!!

7. Collapse Details
    There can never be just one mic, said with a knowing smile. It depends so much on your needs; one mic isn't right for everything. And of course budget has a lot to do with it also.

Suggest starting a thread in the audio forum and you'll get lots of diverse thoughts. Clarify your needs and budget though or someone will suggest a $2000 mic.

A great starter mic is the short shotgun Audio-Technical AT875. When needed, it's a good on-camera mic since it is short and will be a significant improvement over the internal. It will work indoors OK in all but the worst rooms, and is a very decent wider pattern shotgun for outdoor work. It hits above its weight at around $170. You will however also need cables, a shock mount, probably some wind protection and maybe a boompole. Some of the retailers will have bundles for all these items together, but make sure the bundled items aren't just a pile of cheap junk.

After that, you might consider a lavalier and or a small cardioid condenser which will meet more specific indoor needs. A phrase often repeated here is that good video is 55% audio.

Grant

8. Collapse Details
    I still use my AudioTechinca 835B shotgun mic. Cost me about $300 ten years ago, not sure if they still make that particular mic anymore but i'm sure they have a replacement. AT stuff is pretty good and fairly inexpensive.