1. Collapse Details
    Are there more female actors than males?
    Someone claimed there is TWICE as many female actors as males on another filmmaking forum. Couldn't find anything interesting on google, just gives results about male actors getting paid more.

The few times when I've been doing casting calls, it's been a lot easier to find women than men, but then again I'm a small player. So, how is the balance?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Have you ever done casting sessions? With a casting director? Generally, I agree with that statement, at least in Los Angeles. I always get more choices for female roles than males.
    Gear matters. But just a little. Story is everything.

3. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    I don't know about TWICE, but from my totally anecdotal experience, it does appear there are more female than male actors, and aspiring actors - but that's not a scientific poll or count or anything, just my impression.

4. Collapse Details
    Cary Grant said an actress is regarded as more than a woman. But an actor is often considered as less than a man.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

5. Collapse Details
    Some truth at least in certain age categories. Twenty years ago when I did some work for a casting company I was told the hardest to cast was males from forty to fifty. The reason being a lot of guys who are good actors but are not making it financially would leave and find something that pays better. Older than that and you'd have early retirees who would do it as a hobby. With many female actors you will have successful spouses or rich parents or its more of a social experience that they want to continue and will continue to work flexible jobs that might not be fulfilling.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lambert View Post
    Some truth at least in certain age categories. Twenty years ago when I did some work for a casting company I was told the hardest to cast was males from forty to fifty. The reason being a lot of guys who are good actors but are not making it financially would leave and find something that pays better. Older than that and you'd have early retirees who would do it as a hobby. With many female actors you will have successful spouses or rich parents or its more of a social experience that they want to continue and will continue to work flexible jobs that might not be fulfilling.
    This makes a lot of sense.
    Gear matters. But just a little. Story is everything.