Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    I'm still trying to decide what to do with my GoPro Karma drone, bought new just before Christmas. I like the Hero 5 Black--no complaints about the camera--and the drone is very straightforward. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the DJIs and the Yuneecs. But I worry about support in the future.

Am I being naive? Is there such a thing as long-term support for $800-consumer devices? I could fly it happily until it quits, or return it now and buy a *gulp* DJI or something. But then I'd have duplicated the camera.
    Sony FS5, A7RII

2. Collapse Details
    Is there really any support from GoPro for any of their products? Pretty much as soon as the next model comes out, you are out of luck (my experience from many years ago). Once again, I think (my opinion) was that they didn't care about any single customer because there would always be another sucker right behind that will buy a new camera. Maybe this changed, but it was taught to me (by GoPro) back in the HD days. I pre-ordered the HD (1) expecting a certain feature that I knew I needed. That feature was advertised and printed on the box. Not only did the wait time turn from 1 month to almost 4 months to get the camera, but I had to wait another 9 months for that single feature that I knew I needed (and helped me decide to buy their camera) to finally be released. Suggestions that I made came back with replies that amounted to "we know what we are doing better than you, go away". This from my 25+ years in TV. They eventually gave in to demand and put those features into newer models (I think it took until the 3 for a couple of them). Guess I wasn't so dumb after all. None of my suggestions required hardware changes, it was all software. But they decided they were going to do things their way, and if we didn't like it, we could go away. Looks like lots of people are going away from them. I guess it must be Karma (sorry, had too).

If it were me, and there was a window to return it... I'd ditch it as fast as I could. The camera will still have value, if you need an action camera. If not then you can probably sell it and not lose too much money (maybe). I need to contact Yi and see if their 4k action cams will do one specific thing. If so I'm going to buy a couple for testing (can't test with 1, need about 8 in the end, but no less than 4).

Still not sure I want to get into multicopters, my piloting skills kind of suck. Even airplanes are a bit of a challenge. And some of the things I want to do as my hobby, will look a lot like commercial use. That's the problem when you work on the tech side of TV and your hobby might be to produce some videos of other hobby activities (like motorcycle racing). The Yuneec H looks like the level of craft that would make me happy, but a lot of dough to find out that I just can't coordinate the flight controls. And if I get decent, that I get hit with FAA investigations left and right because the video ends up as part of a youtube video that makes me no money (my channel is not monetized, but I'm thinking maybe I will turn that on to help with the racing expenses). If I do this for my hobby, but I turn monetization on and get a few cents or dollars from Youtube, is that them commercial use of the "drone"? (personally I hate that word as they barely fly back to home to land by themselves)

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Manning View Post
    I'm still trying to decide what to do with my GoPro Karma drone, bought new just before Christmas. I like the Hero 5 Black--no complaints about the camera--and the drone is very straightforward. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the DJIs and the Yuneecs. But I worry about support in the future.

Am I being naive? Is there such a thing as long-term support for $800-consumer devices? I could fly it happily until it quits, or return it now and buy a *gulp* DJI or something. But then I'd have duplicated the camera.
    Can you use the Go Pro 6 in it?
    Sabyasachi Patra / Wild Tiger Productions
    Equipment Reviews:http://www.indiawilds.com/diary/category/equipment/
    Youtube channel:https://www.youtube.com/user/IndiaWilds
    Profile:http://www.indiawilds.com/about.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12