Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    Why not get Cardellini clamps etc. and just shoot where there are available mounts?
    I don't mind bringing a couple in case that works out, but I can't plan on that. Ultimately, I don't want the look of the location to be dictated by availability of mounts.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    No matter how light a stand is, if you extend it all the way up and someone bumps it the thing is a hazard. You can buy empty sandbags with zippers from several manufacturers. They're cheap and they store flat in any bag. I too like to use pea gravel, pebbles or shot, and I can send a PA to the home improvement or gardening store. And if not then I guess I could stick rice in the bags, but the weight is not nearly the same. For that matter water is not very heavy either so I wouldn't rely on that too much.
    Mitch, normally I would agree, but here we're talking about a light fixture weighing a 1lb on a stand with a max load of 9lb. Given, it's the type of kit that is used on solo shoots there's unlikely to be a PA on hand who can go shopping, even if you are in a location where there is a garden centre. Gaff tape, a battery strapped to the leg, or an accessory bag will work fine. You have to improvise on the road sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by ozmorphasis View Post

I went ahead and ordered a set of these water weights as a backup plan, but water is not ideal around cables and ballasts.

http://inspiredphotog.com/water-weight/
    These actually look good. Let us know how water tight they are.
    Last edited by Liam Hall; 01-15-2018 at 04:44 PM.
    www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @wordsbyliam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

3. Collapse Details
    In a pinch while travelling we brought unfilled sandbags and put full water bottles into them. Worked ok and kept us hydrated at the end of the trip!
    "That's what happened to this friend of mine. So he had a lobotomy. Now he's well again."
    http://www.robmneilson.com

4. Collapse Details
    Whenever possible I rent G&E locally, & pickup some crew to deal with it, but for those times that’s impractical I usually use accessory bags with water bottles inside to weigh down MERF stands if needed. Producers sometimes get annoyed that half a case of water is suddenly missing, & occasional I find someone on the Crew has pilfered a few bottles out of the accessory bags leaving the stands less stable then I imagined, but for the most part it’s worked fine.

And while I don’t always travel with them, I also own Fly-Away Sandbags, & some old Photoflex ‘Counterweight Bags’ that can be filled with water (or sand).

Didn’t trust the Photoflex so left one filled with water hanging in my office for over a year, & it never leaked. Only recently did I have a job where we had to operate so under the radar that these finally made their debut, & they worked admirably, but considering their age I went ahead, & ordered a half dozen of the WaterWeight(s) being discussed. May rarely use them, but considering the low price ($17 on sale), hopefully they’re a sound investment.

The Fly-Aways get filled with whatever’s practical, but like Liam I find there’s rarely time to send someone to a home improvement store, so often they’ve been stuffed with Zip-Lock baggies containing dampened clay Cat Litter, which is picked up from a convenience store.
    Last edited by Bern Caughey; 01-16-2018 at 10:14 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123