Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post

I stand by the fact that the chart is a useful tool for visualizing the fact that each step of additional dynamic range is twice as bright as the previous. A lot of people don't understand that, and when they think about stops of dynamic range, they're thinking linearly.
    I agree, for this, the graph is very useful.
    Canon C100, GH4, HPX250, HPX170, GH2, Jimmy jib lite, Portajib Explorer, Advanta jib

2. Collapse Details
    Just out of curiosity how well does IBIS work with lenses that do not support dual IS or have stabilization at all? The reason I ask is I currently don't own a single lens that works with dual IS so I'm wondering just how useful the IBIS on the GH5 would be for me. I also don't plan on buying any new m43 lenses that would support dual IS. Is the lack of IBIS on the GH5s a smaller concern when one doesn't plan on ever using any lenses that support dual IS? My next lens purchase is a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 with Vibration control in the EF mount.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
    Just out of curiosity how well does IBIS work with lenses that do not support dual IS or have stabilization at all? The reason I ask is I currently don't own a single lens that works with dual IS so I'm wondering just how useful the IBIS on the GH5 would be for me. I also don't plan on buying any new m43 lenses that would support dual IS. Is the lack of IBIS on the GH5s a smaller concern when one doesn't plan on ever using any lenses that support dual IS? My next lens purchase is a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 with Vibration control in the EF mount.
    It works really well with any lens. In fact, I don't see a tremendous difference with lenses that support dual. (I'm normally shooting with full-manual, adapted cine glass, for example, and IBIS works great.)

4. Collapse Details
    It works really well with any lens. In fact, I don't see a tremendous difference with lenses that support dual. (I'm normally shooting with full-manual, adapted cine glass, for example, and IBIS works great.)
    Thanks for making this more difficult...

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks for making this more difficult...
    Ha! Sorry. Can you wait until you can rent both?

6. Collapse Details

This graph might help visualize how big a difference there is between 12 stops of sensitivity and 14 stops. I would be shocked if the GH5s can resolve 14 stops.
    Same here...this would put it in Varicam and EVA territory and as good as the image is, 14 stops DR is a very wide range...as it is to me Panasonic calls their DR conservatively...the Varicam image is very comfortable next to the Alexa, yet the Classic is rated as 14+stops by Arri and the Varicam 14 stops...and I don't think Arri exaggerates, and though of course completely subjective, I prefer the Varicam image in every way...of course it's 4K, but the DR holds up to the Alexa.

7. Collapse Details
    Yup, and both our vision and our hearing are tuned to be more sensitive to the middle. That's why we can get away with something like using a log curve to cram more info into the middle at the expense of resolution at the extremes.
    Yes!...the human eye is rated at around 20 stops, but as Thomas points out, we don't get 2 stops more image quality between 12and 14 stops, but we do move closer to the subtlety of film as the DR climbs....after about 10 stops though it's a rapidly diminishing return in IQ...most people never notice any difference at that point (not including filmmakers here)

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by fboonzaier View Post
    Yes!...the human eye is rated at around 20 stops
    That's because our eyes have irises that normally automatically adjust to the brightness of the environment. If I remember correctly our vision has about 10 stops of dynamic-range without iris changes.

9. Collapse Details
    Cool
    The Panasonic rep Matt Frazer states that the GH5s has about 14 stops of latitude at about 2:30 in this video, so 14-stops of DR might be the real deal...

10. Collapse Details
    Wait! You don't have (nor have used) a GH5 with its IBIS? This makes some of your posts about IBIS vs low-light sensitivity make a lot more sense if that is the case.

Definitely VERY effective with non-IS lenses, but that's what a lot of us have been trying to say. It's SO effective, that it's hard to go back to not having it once you get used to having it...even if you weren't looking for it in the first place.

BTW, I have a non VC Tamron 70-200. Good lens, and I can get totally usable footage at 200mm with it handheld. That's kind of amazing since even my 50mm and 85mm looked like crap on my GH4 handheld, and even on a monopod they looked worse than what I can do with the GH and IBIS. Haven't tried the 70-200 VC so I have no idea how well it compares to the IBIS. I can say that the Canon 70-200mm mk2 IS through a Metabones adapter is pretty damn good. One of the best stabilized lenses I've ever used. Haven't done a back to back A/B test with the GH5 IBIS but I wouldn't be surprised if the Canon bests the IBIS. It's that good.

Such an inexpensive camera to rent.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast