Thread: Used F65?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    There is literally almost no point in going beyond 4K for delivery and if that 4k is a high quality non chroma subsampled down sampled from an 8k like the F65 there is nothing to be gained with 8k other than increases file sizes, higher memory requirements and longer render times. There is barely an appreciable difference between HD and 4k and there will be none with 4k and 8k other than maybe VR. The whole resolution race is pointless and I wish they would focus more on better quality sensors than higher resolution ones.

6 out of 6 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
    Mine sold last year for $22K
    Hi David,

Mind me asking why you sold? In another thread you mentioned looking to purchase an Alexa Classic, what is the preference of the Alexa over the F65? I've shot heaps of Alexa (Classic, Mini and Amira), but never F65.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Pears View Post
    Looking at the System Associates website they have 9 F65's for sale, though being in Australia I have no idea if they are trust worthy.

System Associates is Otto Nemenz based out of Los Angeles. Its technically a company they bought many moons ago, but for the most part its just their ebay store. If you pick anything up instead of having it shipped, you'll go to Otto in Los Angeles. I've bought from them before and they do a full service on anything they sell like it was going out on a feature. They're clearing out the F65s cause 1 no one wants to deal with them when the F55 is easier and 2 the Venice are on their way in, if not already in

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Pears View Post
    Hi David,

Mind me asking why you sold? In another thread you mentioned looking to purchase an Alexa Classic, what is the preference of the Alexa over the F65? I've shot heaps of Alexa (Classic, Mini and Amira), but never F65.
    I purchased the F65 because of a client requirement at the time. It's a great camera capable of delivering a fantastic look. Unfortunately said client ran up a huge bill, then filed bankruptcy. One of 3 that pulled the same stunt with over $300K in losses. I sold the F65 along with most of my higher end gear to pay my freelance crew what was owed.

I was thinking about picking up a used Alexa Classic for the car shoots I still do because I like the look and they are dirt cheap now.

Dave

5. Collapse Details
    I purchased the F65 because of a client requirement at the time. It's a great camera capable of delivering a fantastic look. Unfortunately said client ran up a huge bill, then filed bankruptcy. One of 3 that pulled the same stunt with over $300K in losses. I sold the F65 along with most of my higher end gear to pay my freelance crew what was owed.

I was thinking about picking up a used Alexa Classic for the car shoots I still do because I like the look and they are dirt cheap now.

Dave
    Hi David,

Thanks for the reply, and sorry about the dirt bag client.

If you don't require 4K and don't mind a heavy camera, the Alexa Classic is an amazing deal.

6. Collapse Details

Dave
    Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch... That's horrible Dave.

Alexa always looks gorgeous, and is rock solid. I'd say it's a very safe bet for a while yet.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    Alexa always looks gorgeous, and is rock solid. I'd say it's a very safe bet for a while yet.
    Plus I expect the Arri Alexa Classic is going to drop in price slower than the Sony F65, because sadly the F65 just doesn't have the same brand recognition thus I bet it will continue to slide down in price faster than Arri will.

However all bets are off once Arri launches their new sensor, who knows how big (or small) the impact on Arri secondhand prices that will mean.
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    At this point the Alexa Classic is much cheaper used than the F65.

I'm sure they will both continue to drop in price. But I have looked at a couple of used Alexa's for half of a used F65 price.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Very good price indeed. Wish the F65 had been the 4K F35 the name implied. I would be jumping on these deals. But it never matched the F35 mojo and pleasant images. At some point I will have to replace my Alexa with something 4K. But so far there is nothing 4K or beyond which beats the F35 and Alexa. Cameras come and cameras go and the mojo of these 2 is still unmatched. The only thing I'm seeing which could do that at all is the Venice. But it's still unproved and it will be a while till I can justify the price of a Venice.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dhessel View Post
    System Associates is fine I have purchased from them a couple of times. Everything I purchased from them belonged to and was shipped directly from Otto Nemenez.
    System Associates is new to me. And speaking of sellers that are new to me, lately my google searches are returning this seller:

https://bogorcinema.com

Their prices are significantly lower than just about anyone else. Bogor has a selling price of $9974.00 on a 100mm ARRI Ultra Prime. That price is about 66% of the price on B&H. What am I missing here? Are the Bogor prices a result of the exchange rate? Until recently I'd never heard of Bogor...but now Bogor regularly comes up under the "shopping" header whenever you enter cinema and photo products into a google search.
    Big sources matter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast