Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Btw. I suggest that when ready, you should post this to the User Films section for more visibility !

2. Collapse Details
    That's a really interesting observation and I have had some of the same feeling myself. I think there might be several causes, the biggest being inexperience! This is only my third film in total, so I've had to learn hard and fast, and sometimes make mistakes along the way. I think it's also to do with the cinemascope cropping. If I had "cropped" the viewfinder or monitor with masking tape I suspect I would have instinctively pulled back a little. A schoolboy error I suppose, another lesson learnt. This was very low budget and not much time in what were sometimes some very small spaces, so some shots I knew were a little cramped. No excuse, just a statement of fact.

Thanks for your insights and kind words! All best wishes.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frost View Post
    Hi Rob,

I used FilmConvert Pro as an emulation plugin. I applied it to each indivudual cut, and whilst I tended to gravitate towards one particular preset for most shots (I can't remember which preset but could find out if you're interested) it would vary a bit from shot to shot.

I used the Voigtlander 17.5, 25 and 42.5 (is that the complete set?) also a Canon FD 100, which matched the voigtlanders pretty well. Finally I used a 14mm panasonic pancake which I didn't much like but needed it to put the camera inside a very confined space for one particular and important shot.

I'm not particularly experienced in these matters to be honest, but I did a huge amount of research, not least here on dvxuser which played a big part in my decision to go with the GH3 and the Voigtlanders. I was looking for something that was a) within my budget and b) created an image that told my story in the past tense, if that makes any sense.

I'm very glad you liked what you saw! Thanks and best wishes.
    stephen-

thank you for the quick reply.

again, thumbs up.

completion is indeed perfection so double thumbs up ;-)

without being too much of a bother, if you could perhaps could dig up which specific filmconvert pro emulation you employed, i would be most appreciative.

if you are ever in new york city, a cup of coffee/tea/or stiffer beverage awaits as a thank you!

be well.

rob
    smalltalk productions/nyc
    the story is never black & white
    it takes Smalltalk to reveal the color

smalltalk.productions

4. Collapse Details
    Hi Rob,

The Film Convert Pro preset was usually KD P400 Ptra. It can sometimes make the image a bit dark so on those occasions I lifted the exposure within the preset, but not much. I would sometimes tweak the colour temperature too. I also turned down the film grain emulation to zero. The grain might be beneficial with a higher spec camera, but I felt it didn't help for me. I suspect Film Convert Pro is not really meant to be used this way, but rather more as a finishing grade using one preset for a complete sequence or film, but it worked for me using it for each shot. As I said, this was my go-to preset, but I did use others from time to time.

Thanks for the offer of a beverage of some kind. If I ever find myself in New York (and would love to!) I'll definitely look you up.

All best,

Stephen

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frost View Post
    Hi Rob,

The Film Convert Pro preset was usually KD P400 Ptra. It can sometimes make the image a bit dark so on those occasions I lifted the exposure within the preset, but not much. I would sometimes tweak the colour temperature too. I also turned down the film grain emulation to zero. The grain might be beneficial with a higher spec camera, but I felt it didn't help for me. I suspect Film Convert Pro is not really meant to be used this way, but rather more as a finishing grade using one preset for a complete sequence or film, but it worked for me using it for each shot. As I said, this was my go-to preset, but I did use others from time to time.

Thanks for the offer of a beverage of some kind. If I ever find myself in New York (and would love to!) I'll definitely look you up.

All best,

Stephen
    stephen-

thanks for the sharing!

i have bookmarked your vimeo page.

please update when more footage is released.

again, congrats.

be well.

rob
    smalltalk productions/nyc
    the story is never black & white
    it takes Smalltalk to reveal the color

smalltalk.productions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12