Thread: Ces 2018

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Love the post Pure. Especially poignant after what has just come to light with Sean Parker of FB. Nothing surprising, but direct confirmation of the engineering towards addiction and how it is affecting all of us.

I turned off all notifications on FB and Instagram, though I haven't deleted accounts, and that has been freeing. But it's technology and the internet as a whole. There is always a new product, tech, piece of news, etc. that it is impossible (and endlessly entertaining) to stay on top of. Perhaps we all need the discipline to realize that we don't need more information, more tech, more shares, more news, more likes, or anything of the sort.

We need more time, and it's been and is being robbed endlessly by consumer electronics, social media, materialism, and an endless stream of news, information, and new tech.

2. Collapse Details
    We are social lemmings, especially in our youth. When you are young, it feels imperative to be connected; to know the latest thing that is happening, to be in the know. So one must know everything that is going on your tribe's facebook, twitter, and instagram pages. You would be a loser if you aren't on top of things.

I don't use any of those things. I think its a ridiculous waste of time. But if I was in my teens or twenties, I can't imagine not being buried in those applications.

In the '50s, Rock and Roll was going to destroy our society. It did, along with several other social changes. The way of life completely changed. The '60s were very revolutionary. So what. Here we are fat and happy with a whole new set of things to complain and worry about.

By the way, for those of you not on my facebook page, I had tomato slices and egg whites for breakfast.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    It's valid to be worried about what social media is doing to society, but I think this is just a temporary phase. VR was mentioned earlier and I think the end of the line for social media is having it take place in a virtual space, or an augmented reality, where it will be people interacting with other people as though they are physically present. People may still be anonymous, but VR reintroduces things like body language, vocal intonation and eye contact. The illusion of intimacy can be very startling in VR if you've ever experienced it. People are generally nicer to each other in real life than on social media, and VR, while still an illusion of real life, will allow more nuanced communication than can be had on current social media platforms, where people mostly just scream hyperbole at each other. Yes, people will be withdrawing further into a fantasy virtual life, although ironically it will be so they can experience genuine human connection again.
    People will still be on their phones in the VR world

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    People will still be on their phones in the VR world
    LOL...they'll be looking at their VR phones in VR.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    By the way, for those of you not on my facebook page, I had tomato slices and egg whites for breakfast.
    My instagram is 100% pics of food.

6. Collapse Details
    I have no idea what you guys are talking about

water.jpg
    Everything involving the pig is above board.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Great observations here guys, much appreciated. I must say, we have some fine thinkers here on DVXUser, the discussion in this thread has been intellectual, well thought out and nuanced. And we all did it via a form of social media ;-)
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Not much else to say without being viewed as a luddite. I agree once again with puredrifting.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    I just have to say thank you for the posts puredrifting. I couldn't agree more!
    Last edited by pulpfiction007; 01-12-2018 at 08:46 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    It's really more of the posting and responding to comments while in nature, on the trail that irritates me ;-)
    We're in an age of increasing ADD. Your comment makes me think of the posts I see in Blu-ray forums from people who write "Wow, I've been waiting for forever for the studio to release this. It's my all-time favorite movie. I'm 20 minutes into it and this disc is fantastic!" Jeez, dude, put down your phone and enjoy the freakin' movie! You can tell us what you think about it afterward.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast