Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Weird noise coming in on voice recording - how to remove?
    Question
    Here is a snippet of an audio recording captured today: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2eyqoocnjh...Sound.mp3?dl=0

This was recorded with a pair of Sennheiser G3s routed to a Tascam DR-40.

There's room tone - sounds like air - that rises and drops in volume along with the speaker's voice. I tried different levels of Low Cut on the field and it didn't remove the sound. In post, I used "Capture Sound Print" and "Remove Sound" in Audition - no luck (I had recorded 15 seconds of just room tone). Adaptive Noise Reduction in Premiere didn't work.

Any idea what this might be, and how I can remove it in post? And how I can I avoid this in the future?

2. Collapse Details
    Just out of curiosity, did you properly gain-stage everything in the chain? Transmitter, receiver, and recorder? How hot was the signal in the transmitters?
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex H. View Post
    Just out of curiosity, did you properly gain-stage everything in the chain? Transmitter, receiver, and recorder? How hot was the signal in the transmitters?
    Not hot in the transmitter, receiver, or the recorder. Everything looked normal, no peaking. The highest it peaked in the original recording was - 9db, so I added gain in post.

4. Collapse Details
    Sounds like a bit of distortion along with some heavy gating. I'm not really familiar with the DR-40, but think in general Tascam makes decent stuff. Did you have an Automatic Gain Control (AGC) or Auto Level feature engaged? I think there's like a "feature for recording a lecture" setting that "ensures" you don't get heavy clipping or really quiet passages, but at the expense of audio fidelity.

Not sure exactly what to recommend (since Alex already pointed to gain staging). Maybe you can gather some tips from this review? I just skimmed it, but the writer, Jeff Towne, knows what he's talking about.
    https://transom.org/2011/tascam-dr-40/
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Feeley View Post
    Sounds like a bit of distortion along with some heavy gating. I'm not really familiar with the DR-40, but think in general Tascam makes decent stuff. Did you have an Automatic Gain Control (AGC) or Auto Level feature engaged?
    This is what my initial thought was also. Sounds like a poor example of AGC that's gating and distorting.

DR-40 should do better than this, so I'm not sure where it's coming from. I'm also doubtful of this coming from the Sennheiser G3s; I've never had sound like that from my own Sennheiser G3s. So... I'm lost. I don't know what to suggest, other than careful gain staging and proper mic placement.

As to fixing it in post... if you could, it would probably be way more work than it would be worth to me. Fixing gating issues is a PITA, and a few seconds of it in a recording takes me hours of work in the DAW, all for mediocre results. Seems like cruel and unusual punishment.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Movie_Dude_3 View Post
    Not hot in the transmitter, receiver, or the recorder.
    But how hot, especially in the transmitter? What’s your AF Out level setting on the receiver, and how much gain did you have to add in the DR-40?

I ask because this sound is not uncommon when the audio level is low in the transmitter. I’ve heard it in systems from other brands as well. Low transmitter gain can be adversely affected in a wireless processing and signal chain. I use G3 systems often and don’t have these issues, but I’ll try to see if I can recreate yoir issue tomorrow. Were you using the stock lav, or something else?
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

7. Collapse Details
    It sounds like companding artifacts from the radio mics and could even be the two of them interacting if their frequencies are summing on second and third harmonics that is potentially producing a third frequency interfering.

Try different frequencies on one of the radio mics and see if it improves. It may also be worth checking that the TX and RX are exactly on the same frequency as slight de-tuning would still give a signal but cause the same artifacts.

The sennheiser RF guide is well worth finding as it explains how radio mics can interact with each other to cause problems.
    Over 15 minutes in broadcast film and tv production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352
    /

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex H. View Post
    But how hot, especially in the transmitter? What’s your AF Out level setting on the receiver, and how much gain did you have to add in the DR-40?

I ask because this sound is not uncommon when the audio level is low in the transmitter. I’ve heard it in systems from other brands as well. Low transmitter gain can be adversely affected in a wireless processing and signal chain. I use G3 systems often and don’t have these issues, but I’ll try to see if I can recreate yoir issue tomorrow. Were you using the stock lav, or something else?
    AF out was -6 dB, no gain added to the DR-40 (set to 0). I used the stock lav.

Should the AF out be higher than it is?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryNattrass View Post
    It sounds like companding artifacts from the radio mics and could even be the two of them interacting if their frequencies are summing on second and third harmonics that is potentially producing a third frequency interfering.

Try different frequencies on one of the radio mics and see if it improves. It may also be worth checking that the TX and RX are exactly on the same frequency as slight de-tuning would still give a signal but cause the same artifacts.

The sennheiser RF guide is well worth finding as it explains how radio mics can interact with each other to cause problems.
    I'll have to check out the RF guide. Thanks for the tip!

10. Collapse Details
    I replicated all my settings here in the office and I'm not getting the same results. I'll keep messing around but that's what I have so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast