1. Collapse Details
    An idea that requires a wood doll.
    Hello guys,

I'd like to create a Youtube channel with some short comedy videos.
    The thing is, my idea includes a wood doll that also needs to move.
    What do you think it's the best way to achieve this? Should I do it the cheap way and put someone moving it? Without showing the person obviously. Or should it be more like an animation?
    I'm a little confused because I'm not sure how I'll do it.
    Thank you.

2. Collapse Details
    I've done stop motion. Unless you really enjoy it it's a pain in the arse. CG/3D model the doll, animate it, integrate into the live action? Or a marionette, as you've said. Probably could use software to remove the strings/wires from the shots.

3. Collapse Details
    Thank you for your reply Josh.

I understand how stop motion is done, but it would be so time consuming that I wouldn't have the time to keep with weekly videos.

How does CG/3D really works? We shoot everything like the doll was there and then it's added in the post production? Sorry to ask this but this is really way out of my knowledge.

About using it as a marionette with strings or wires, I dont even know if that will be possible, because it's a very specific doll, its something very similar to this : http://photo.foter.com/photos/pi/275...atue-decor.jpg

4. Collapse Details
    CG/3D would mean creating a 3D (computer generated) model of the doll using 3D software and rigging it to ben and move at certain points, added shading, texture and finally animating the movement. It's complex and you have to be an artist to make it look real (and even then it take a lot of computer power)

If you need a solid wooden doll to bend in a certain way that is normally isn't possible in real life without breaking then you have to go the CG route. Otherwise stop motion could be less time consuming. If the doll actually bends then I like the idea of marrionate against a greenscreen (or holding it from behind in some way with a green glove) and keying out the hand/background in editing. No matter what it's tricky so you should run some tests to see what works best for you.
    Cameras: 2x - Sony FS7, 2x - Sony A6500, Canon 5D IV, DJI Mavic Pro, Canon 5D II, Canon 60D, Canon G16, Canon Rebel XT, GoPro Hero 7, Gopro Hero 6 (RIP), 6x - GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, Canon XL2, iPhone 4, iPhone 6, Ricoh KR-10, Fed-2, Fujica Half Frame, Canon ZR-100, Sony DCR-TRV 310.

5. Collapse Details
    I'd even say that if you don't know CGI, it's still more complex to make a believable result in CGI than in a strings doll....

And basically... CGI is pretty much just very nice looking stop motion made in a computer. You are still dealing with frames and understanding the minute microactions that make a character look alive.