Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31
  1. Collapse Details
    Quirks or issues, anyone?
    #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    143
    Default
    Hello to all EVA1 owners and/or users. I am about to pull the trigger on this camera. Everything I've seen from it looks like it's unbeatable for the price range. I am well versed in all the specs and the pros and cons of things like no viewfinder and push button AF.

    I am wondering if anyone has any quirks or issues that have come up that were unexpected. The most important thing to me is to have a reliable camera (this coming from a BMPC 4K owner). I can work around the limitations, but its gotta be rock solid. I'm also aware of the handgrip issue that Panasonic has taken steps to fix. So other than that, anyone have anything else? Thanks!


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    143
    Default
    Okay . . . ! I guess I'll take that as a no. No unexpected quirks or bugs. Got it.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Senior Member soarprod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Costa Mesa /OC /California
    Posts
    1,643
    Default
    Reliability is solid - a few work around issues to deal with like assigning buttons to functions that reset every time you turn off the camera - focus peaking, brighter (Power LCD) function, center exposure marker, waveform. Other then that you are good.

    Quote Originally Posted by Galleddrim View Post
    Hello to all EVA1 owners and/or users. I am about to pull the trigger on this camera. Everything I've seen from it looks like it's unbeatable for the price range. I am well versed in all the specs and the pros and cons of things like no viewfinder and push button AF.

    I am wondering if anyone has any quirks or issues that have come up that were unexpected. The most important thing to me is to have a reliable camera (this coming from a BMPC 4K owner). I can work around the limitations, but its gotta be rock solid. I'm also aware of the handgrip issue that Panasonic has taken steps to fix. So other than that, anyone have anything else? Thanks!


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #4
    Senior Member wschmid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    201
    Default
    The grip is still an issue. After some short shootings mine has shown some kind of movement. It should be less then 1.5 degrees. But how to measure that? And they ask me to send them the total camera instead of simply exchanging the grip.

    And if you want to rig heavier parts like a Shogun - well you must not use the plastic parts of the camera to build up connections, because you will not end up with enough mechanical stability. So the built quality is a clear issue, while the picture quality is similar to the C200.

    And reserve the money for an additional Eyeviewer like the Gratical or the Zactuco Z-Finder - both not cheap. The LCD cannot be used in sunlight really.
    Kind regards,

    Wolfgang


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    725
    Default
    It's funny; back in the BMCC days, there was a fast and always engaged community of users always talking about the best way to do things and finding issues and workarounds. I think because all the cameras are pretty solid now and we're all busy just working with them, there's just not as much to talk about and that's why a thread like this isn't getting a ton of replies. Same over on the C200 forum, and these two cameras are the two biggest releases for their respective companies in years (probably even more so for Panasonic).

    Everyone already knows about the lack of a broadcast codec on the C200 and the lack of an EVF on the EVA1, and beyond that people are shutting up and just happily shooting away...


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,386
    Last edited by filmguy123; 01-05-2018 at 11:31 AM.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #7
    Senior Member wschmid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    201
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahnon View Post
    It's funny; back in the BMCC days, there was a fast and always engaged community of users always talking about the best way to do things and finding issues and workarounds. I think because all the cameras are pretty solid now and we're all busy just working with them, there's just not as much to talk about and that's why a thread like this isn't getting a ton of replies. Same over on the C200 forum, and these two cameras are the two biggest releases for their respective companies in years (probably even more so for Panasonic).

    Everyone already knows about the lack of a broadcast codec on the C200 and the lack of an EVF on the EVA1, and beyond that people are shutting up and just happily shooting away...
    That seems to take place on Facebook by now. There are a lot of people complaining about some of the mentioned points like EVF or the mechanical stability.
    Kind regards,

    Wolfgang


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Monterey, USA
    Posts
    962
    Default
    Another problem, which I've mentioned elsewhere, is the tendency for very comment, positive or negative, to turn into an argument (often voiced by people who don't actually own the camera). I always give up on forums when that s__t happens.

    In my case I already owned several EF lenses, SD cards and a Gratical X. My only additional expenses were for an additional battery and a SHAPE grip extension.

    I think it's a terrific camera. I like the fact that it can be built on, or left alone. My one and only gripe so far, mentioned elsewhere, is the fact that the variable frame rate feature is menu dependent. Otherwise it's the camera I've been waiting for.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #9
    Senior Member soarprod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Costa Mesa /OC /California
    Posts
    1,643
    Default
    Incorrect. You can assign the VFR to the user button which is middle position on the ISO / WB selector and click in the wheel. That will toggle FPS on or off which is VFR. Granted it won't switch from 10bit to 8bit automatically like a GH5.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Another problem, which I've mentioned elsewhere, is the tendency for very comment, positive or negative, to turn into an argument (often voiced by people who don't actually own the camera). I always give up on forums when that s__t happens.

    In my case I already owned several EF lenses, SD cards and a Gratical X. My only additional expenses were for an additional battery and a SHAPE grip extension.

    I think it's a terrific camera. I like the fact that it can be built on, or left alone. My one and only gripe so far, mentioned elsewhere, is the fact that the variable frame rate feature is menu dependent. Otherwise it's the camera I've been waiting for.


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    126
    Default
    IN VFR 2k 120, the iris wheel stutters, and gets hung up. In other words, changes don't happen immediately in exposure, and it comes in increments that take a second or two. This has to be some sort of glitch that is hopefully addressed in firmware updates.


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •