Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    few questions as a new UAS owner
    Jus got a P4a, about 2 weeks ago and ive been doing some tests and getting used to flying it, bought an extra battery, new camera bag to fit the drone and my gh5. ect.

Ive seen few reviews / videos on youtube were people use these special lipo bags for their p4p batteries ect. for tsa purposes so they can tell they are stored correctly, ect.
    Are those very necessary for traveling with the drone when passing through tsa?

Also When I try to change the settings to fly higher or farther it asks me to agree to their terms saying that they are not liable ect ect. Do you guys turn that off obviously? depending ?
    Thanks for any advice. loving it so far it is amazing.

I have taken it out of beginner mode too btw.
    Last edited by Lindquist; 12-30-2017 at 08:05 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Use of battery bags would depend on what each airline wants as far as I know. The FAA has a general rule that batteries be “protected from short circuit” which the bags would provide & they say LiPo can't be in checked bags. I've yet to see any FAA mandate for use of the bags.

As far as I know, DJI has that "sign off" in the controller as a safety measure which is not unlike the annoying password entry required by Apple for any addition of software on their computers. It's just a way of saying "are you sure you want to do this."

3. Collapse Details
    The message to go above 400 feet is because you arent allowed to fly above 400 feet according to faa rules without a specialty waiver. If you arent licensced and dont have that waiver, dont do it.
    Cameras: 2x - Sony FS7, 2x - Sony A6500, Canon 5D IV, DJI Mavic Pro, Canon 5D II, Canon 60D, Canon G16, Canon Rebel XT, GoPro Hero 7, Gopro Hero 6 (RIP), 6x - GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, Canon XL2, iPhone 4, iPhone 6, Ricoh KR-10, Fed-2, Fujica Half Frame, Canon ZR-100, Sony DCR-TRV 310.

4. Collapse Details
    My wife took her Phantom 4 Pro in a hard shell case as carry on luggage on Japan Airlines this past August with zero issues. The case has three inserts for spare batteries, which she also carried, plus one in the drone. Airlines and TSA seem to be used to these things now.
    Best regards,
    Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
    www.MWHDVideo.com
    HD Video Productions

5. Collapse Details
    I've done about 40 flights with my DJI Mavic Pro. The drone occasionally gets some attention at security but not once has someone asked me about the batteries. Always carry them on though.
    New Website: www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

6. Collapse Details
    Gaff tape over the terminals is what I do.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by egproductions View Post
    The message to go above 400 feet is because you arent allowed to fly above 400 feet according to faa rules without a specialty waiver. If you arent licensced and dont have that waiver, dont do it.
    False.

You can go up to 400' AGL or 400' above a structure within 400' of that structure under Part 107 rules. It's quite easy to end up in a situation where you need to (and legally can) go above 400' over takeoff point (which is what DJI's software setting is).

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jbregar View Post
    False.

You can go up to 400' AGL or 400' above a structure within 400' of that structure under Part 107 rules. It's quite easy to end up in a situation where you need to (and legally can) go above 400' over takeoff point (which is what DJI's software setting is).
    There is an interesting debate going on at DPreview where someone is making an interesting claim that 400' AGL is a guideline, not a law. From my reading of the FAA site, they make it sound like it's is a law, but someone on DPreview made some interesting counter arguments that it doesn't apply to recreational flyers and that fixed wing model aircraft regularly fly above 400' too. The restrictions are said to apply to part 107 pilots only.
    Best regards,
    Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
    www.MWHDVideo.com
    HD Video Productions

9. Collapse Details
    It depends on whether you're flying under hobby rules (Part 101) or anything other than hobby rules (Part 107).

For hobby/recreation flights (no "business purpose" at all, even if you're not directly charging for the flight), the 400' AGL is a guideline. For non-hobby (nearly anything that's not just flying for fun) it is a regulation and needs to be followed. You can also obtain a waiver to fly higher.

10. Collapse Details
    I thought hobby rules came under Sect 336?
    Best regards,
    Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
    www.MWHDVideo.com
    HD Video Productions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast