Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Round trip from Vegas Pro to DaVinci Resolve and back
    For color correction and grading in DaVinci Resolve of movies edited in Vegas Pro, can this round trip be made? If yes, how?

2. Collapse Details
    I've done it in an earler version of Vegas, using .r3d files. I'd edited on probably version 12 or 13 (2014) and we tried several versions of EDL export along with a drive of all the raw r3d files. One of the methods (think it was the Premiere export) worked so that my cut could be gotten into Resolve and then he was able to link all the clips in and do his work.

Going BACK to vegas I do remember had to be done with DPX, which was pretty nuts. What I ended up doing was putting a track over each finished video track (The film was over half splitscreen with 4K originals in 2014. I think my PC plotted to murder me) Then I loaded the colored DPX files over the edit to match up - since you can NEVER play back the 4K DPX (when you tried it was like .003 FPS maybe) So when I went in and did a recut, I was able to use the proxies to work, and then just reconform the finished DPX files as I went, I only ended up needing to ask the colorist for one shot we didnt have from the original cut to be re-colored and sent to me.

So long story short, figure how to get your EDL to the Resolve, then DPX export will go back into Vegas. I do say that there may be BETTER ways now that we are nearly 4 years down the line, but that's what we did back when...

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks.

4. Collapse Details
    Why would you need to round trip? I'd just go one way, Vegas to Resolve and render your master from there. You can export your audio from Vegas as stems, bring them to Resolve and output your audio with picture that way too.

Independent Filmmaker
    BMD URSA Mini 4K/Avid Media Composer/NukeX/Blender/Mixcraft/ProTools/Resolve Studio

Feature Films
    Wulf - 2008 | Leap - 2010 | Leap: Rise of the Beast - 2011 | Surviving The Wild - 2020

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by El Director View Post
    Why would you need to round trip?
    To edit video in Resolve, manipulate audio in Vegas and finalize in Resolve.

6. Collapse Details
    Can I please ask what Vegas audio does that DaVinci 14 can't do?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
    To edit video in Resolve, manipulate audio in Vegas and finalize in Resolve.
    Are you editing in Vegas or Resolve? Either way, no need to round trip. You can edit and mix in Vegas, then go to Resolve for grading and mastering. Bring in pre-mixed stems for the audio. Or you can edit and grade in Resolve, sending just the sound to Vegas for mixing, then bring that back as stems for master. Either way, your video doesn't do round trip, just the audio.

Independent Filmmaker
    BMD URSA Mini 4K/Avid Media Composer/NukeX/Blender/Mixcraft/ProTools/Resolve Studio

Feature Films
    Wulf - 2008 | Leap - 2010 | Leap: Rise of the Beast - 2011 | Surviving The Wild - 2020

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by doubledark View Post
    Can I please ask what Vegas audio does that DaVinci 14 can't do?
    I don't know. I encountered a shortcoming in Resolve's audio mixing and someone wrote on the Audio forum here that Vegas is a full-fledged DAW.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by El Director View Post
    Are you editing in Vegas or Resolve? Either way, no need to round trip. You can edit and mix in Vegas, then go to Resolve for grading and mastering. Bring in pre-mixed stems for the audio. Or you can edit and grade in Resolve, sending just the sound to Vegas for mixing, then bring that back as stems for master. Either way, your video doesn't do round trip, just the audio.
    I'm editing and finalizing in Resolve. So, how can I roundtrip the audio between Resolve and Vegas?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
    I don't know. I encountered a shortcoming in Resolve's audio mixing and someone wrote on the Audio forum here that Vegas is a full-fledged DAW.
    So you're only using Vegas for its audio editing capabilities?

Seems kinda odd? I'd strongly recommend Reaper instead.
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast