Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    considerations, considerations...

hmm... all that said, it seems like the answer to my question from most participants was that "the whole set is redundant!" ;)

But I'm still curious of my original question, which centered on "15, 21, 25" focal lengths. Is the 21 too redundant, or does it fill a nice hole? (S35 sensor)

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    considerations, considerations...

hmm... all that said, it seems like the answer to my question from most participants was that "the whole set is redundant!" ;)

But I'm still curious of my original question, which centered on "15, 21, 25" focal lengths. Is the 21 too redundant, or does it fill a nice hole? (S35 sensor)
    My initial feelings would be, "unnecessary/redundant". But I felt that way about the 35 when I bought my set of CN-E's(it was just coming out and not widely available). But I had several shoots this summer that I needed it and have had some requests for it in rentals, so I added it about a month ago.

3. Collapse Details
    Filmguy I think it's safe to say that only you can answer this question. 15mm, particularly for wide exteriors would come in very handy. Keep using the 25mm then if you feel like you're lacking add the 21mm! In non-narrative you can get away with way more without having that middle focal length. In narrative you may be up against a wall and the 21 gets you out of jail, or the director, if that's their style, may call for it specifically.

4. Collapse Details
    PS I mean a literal wall where only the 21 will grant you the appropriate framing.

5. Collapse Details

6. Collapse Details
    Cinematography/Lighting Mod Ryan Patrick O'Hara's Avatar
    A little off topic, but when I read documentary and events, I immediately thought zooms too. However, some documentaries aren't all spontaneous, and you can use prime sets and more traditional filmmaking techniques.

Back to the original topic, I think the 21mm is great to have. Not only is it a great focal length, but if the 25mm isn't wide enough, the next lens down is a bridge too far. There is no way a cinematographer is going to be scratching his (or her!) head thinking "Oh man, this 25mm looks good, but I just need it wider...." and then finding the 15mm acceptable. No way. It's either 25mm or 15mm, and if you want a little wider than 25mm, you're out of luck.

I say do it! I have an 18mm and 25mm in my lens kit, and I still bought my 21mm! It's a luxury in my situation but I love it. Would consider dropping the 18mm for it. Maybe.

If cinematography wasn't infinite, I'm sure I would have found the end by now.

7. Collapse Details
    Cinematography/Lighting Mod Ryan Patrick O'Hara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    Picture is worth 1,000 words, or in this case, the amount I was spewing to make the same point. lol.

If cinematography wasn't infinite, I'm sure I would have found the end by now.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234