Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Documentary, live event, commercial / corporate / branding.
    I do a lot of this type of work. Well, not live event, but the other four.

I have zoom lens coverage from 11mm to 1200mm and primes from 15mm to 105mm. Mostly, I shoot on primes. Mostly on a speed booster. Most used lenses are 35mm, 20mm and 85mm.

Next most used lenses are 50mm, 150-600mm and 70-200mm.

My least used lens is 24-70mm. My macros get more time on the camera than that lens.
    New Website: www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

2. Collapse Details
    Thanks Liam! Glad to hear I am not the only one to do this type of work and still favor primes.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    My least used lens is 24-70mm. My macros get more time on the camera than that lens.
    This is interesting to hear! I guess it makes sense and I'd be the same. It's my most used focal range, and I thus generally prefer it on primes as well. And can usually read a situation well enough to know if I'll need medium or wide (or a situation requiring a zoom).

To me, the Sigma 18-35 range on a crop sensor such as S35 isn't very compelling. It's nice enough, but a 15-50 ballpark would be far more useful and "talk me into" using the zoom over one of my beautiful primes (I think it's more that I'm not sure I'd feel the zoom range of the sigma warranted not being on a Milvus).

3. Collapse Details
    Talking about me.. which is not you. Simply we all only know our own position and really only discover when getting stuff in our hands at a rental house, show or off a chum.

Given $10k to spend on glass and owning an EVA..

Id get the 18-80 canon zoom and a couple of used prime contax leica, whatever.

Or I would consider the two sigmas or at least get them in hand to feel. (better for less Rng shooting)

Or .. considering you like ziess and like to be quite wide Id have a look for the Cine Zoom LWZ 1 - which is 14-40 I think.. Ive seen a couple of them cheap and they seem like lenses that will be legit for cinematography for ever.. especially as they are perfect for high end gimbal systems.

It may sound glib but my $150 used prime lenses are just not a stress to own because if I scratch/drop on or get it stolen it is just not the end of the world. They are also small and light. (I use nikon and canon FD - neither are good for Canon mount) -

Actually given $10g, Id buy probably more LED or keep it in my pocket!

I just dont have a problem with cheapo primes from the 80s until you step onto a formal cinema set where the A/C will want to remote pull and take marks.. they work for that but just not as good as true cine glass.
    Last edited by morgan_moore; 12-14-2017 at 03:55 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Milvus' are seeing some decent price drops; up to a few hundred depending on the lens.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Milvus' are seeing some decent price drops; up to a few hundred depending on the lens.
    New or used?

They just had a big black Friday sale where I picked them up at BH for significant discount, + 4% back in B&H rewards, with return until Feb 1st if needed.

I am curious the long term value. Frankly, things like the GH5s and A7S III, and DPAF, have me wondering if everything is downsizing so rapidly and going higher-end electronic so quickly that large manual focus lenses may be dinosaurs by 2025 in favor of small, light, fully IS/AF lenses that look 90% as good to pros, and indistinguishable to nearly every client on earth...

6. Collapse Details
    New, at B&H and Adorama (maybe other places). Every Milvus lens...the cheaper ones have $100-$200 or so off, and the more expensive ones like the 15mm has $405 off.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._2_8_zf_2.html

No offense, but your lenses will be worth nickels and dimes in 2025. We'll be lucky to have jobs if robots haven't replaced everything. It's not like how it once was...the industry is rapidly changing.

7. Collapse Details
    I see, yes, those are the prices they had them at during Black Friday sale, that's what I paid.

Nickels and dimes?! Perhaps the assumption that the Milvus line will hold value as well as the Contax, classic, summicrons, canon L series, etc. is flawed?

What lenses do you see holding value?

8. Collapse Details
    Nickels and dimes?! Perhaps the assumption that the Milvus line will hold value as well as the Contax, classic, summicrons, canon L series, etc. is flawed?
    ha, not literally...but you know. Not sure how much you're expecting them to hold, but by 2025, they could be down a lot IMO. Especially with the stills industry. What if everyone is shooting 10K stills and there are 10K lenses out there. How much will your 4K lenses be worth if they can't resolve that much resolution?

And on the video side, what if as you mentioned everything is AF/IS/etc. Or what if new camera technology will dominate like those Lytro light cameras.

I just think you shouldn't buy for the future but buy for now. I'm sure you will be super happy with your lenses now and make amazing work. And pay them off quickly. It's a lot of money but it's not A LOT of money, you know?

What lenses do you see holding value?
    None. Maybe we haven't seen much change from 2007 to 2017, but I think we will from 2018 to 2025.

9. Collapse Details
    NorBro be honest. Are you a robot sent from the future?

10. Collapse Details
    haha, I like to think I am, but I'm not...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast