Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    For doc and live work you want zoom lenses.

As far as the Fuji zooms(MK's), I believe the OP is buying, or just bought, an EVA1, so they won't work.

2. Collapse Details
    When I first started doing this and learning about everything (in this case lenses), I could never understand why people invested in focal lengths such close to each other...and I still don't agree with the 'lens set' ideology.

Personally, if I went with the Milvus', I would just get the 15/35 or 21/50. You can do everything with those two lenses based on what you say you do and absolutely do not need any more from that set, IMO. And adding a nice zoom as mentioned is always a good idea for the other work that requires zooming like the live events because you'll probably find yourself psychically too far away from many shots. You can always rent for those times where you need that special lens.

It's your money of course, but even if I had 100 million dollars, I would never buy a full set simply for the reason because I would never use all of the lenses in it and I don't want to have it lying around, ha.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Assuming the OP wants some low light ability/narrow DOF and has some cash I would be really looking at the two sigma cine zooms.

18-35 and 50-100

If the OP has to shoot really fast I would be looking at the Canon 18-80.

--

If I had the cash Id trade all my primes for the two sigmas because life on set would speed up no end.

4. Collapse Details
    Lots of good thoughts and inputs. Let me bounce a few thoughts back:

- Sigma cine zooms - heavy, big, bulky (even compared to the biggest milvus). Hard to handhold or shoot in a lower key setting. Seem designed and suited primarily for on-set mattebox use, which I have yet to do (I use lens hoods, xume adaptors for filters, built in ND). S35 circle only, so no use on full frame cameras (sony a7s, future sony or canon FF, etc.)
    - zooms vs primes - can you tell the difference in glass? I really like the look of primes
    - Zeiss vs other - that zeiss aesthetic is gorgeous to my eye, and I realize the other lenses will also look fantastic... but I've always been drawn to zeiss look

For live event / docu I've shot primes for the last 4 years, with the mentality "quality over quantity" - unless I'm in a scenario where I can't miss a particular shot. So a zoom could come in handy there. But most of the time I'm not trying to capture a specific moment, but rather a specific feeling made of moments and condensed into an edit.

So a few thoughts in response:

- S35 only glass seems to limiting for my more indie-style approach with a variety of camera bodies and form factors, and not as strong of an all-around, long term invest
    - True cine style lenses are something that seem overly large and bulky with features I won't genuinely utilize, and which may actually get in the way, for my workflow (open to feedback here).
    - I'd be surprised if DPAF invaldiated the value of high-end manual Zeiss glass, as the Milvus line is also very popular with photograpehrs where AF is already very mature

But what I am hearing is that the EF Milvus glass may dissapoint in terms of a long term investment / resale value in 10-20 years, or a protiftable lens package if I was hired as a DP based on gear. I am also hearing a 5-6 lens set of Milvus glass sound like an excessive investment with questionable practical or long term value?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    I believe the OP is buying, or just bought, an EVA1, so they won't work.
    Correct!

GH5, EVA1
    GH5s depending on Jan 8th announcement

Future: unknown. Maybe Sony A7SIII for extreme lowlight. Maybe a canon or sony sub $10k body in future, depending on EVA2. S35, or FF.

Most often OMB solo op + PAs as needed, some exceptions.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    For live event / docu I've shot primes for the last 4 years, with the mentality "quality over quantity" .
    It's been a very long time since I've used a zoom which wasn't at least equal to the quality level of a prime. Sure things were different when I started shooting some 40+ years ago. But times have changed. In fact I could post 2 photos, one taken with a Zeiss prime and the second taken with a Zeiss zoom at the same focal length, and there is no way you would be able to tell which one was which except for guessing.

Sure there are specific instances where a zoom, especially on the lower end of things shows a marked decrease in the quality level obtainable from a prime at the same focal length. But in 2017/18 professional level modern zoom lenses are very very nice. Matter of fact one of my favorite lens looks, especially on people, is an older Cooke 18-100 zoom. The way it renders skin is just very pleasing to the eye. And I would gladly trade the 1/2 or 1 stop difference I would lose with the zoom, in favor of having multiple focal lengths available without have the downtime of swapping lenses. Especially when shooting a documentary.

7. Collapse Details
    Good point David. Some of this may be coming from my discovering of how how much better primes looked on AF100/GH4/GH5, and I can see how that may not hold up much in the high end market. Good stuff.

I will say, the Sigma Cine zoom 50-100 looks insanely bulky and heavy though which would steer me away from it. The 2.7-2.8lbs on some of the Milvus glass is my limit. Even the sigma cine zoom 18-35 looks quite large. I also really like the long focus throw and buttery smooth focusing that I can do without follow focus, mattebox etc. on a Milvus or other similar lenses. That said, thoughts on the photo focused Sigma ART 18-35 + 50-100 or a Zeiss equivalent? (one more thought - if I added a zoom, it seems going canon might be a better pick because at least then it would also give an AF option especially for future use in improved DPAF, etc.)

Also surprised no one has mentioned the Leica-R glass. Such as Summicron R f/2. I guess these are hard to find, require adaptors, and are an older design... but still a bit magical and quite cinematic...

All in all I often tend to focus more on the art side than the practicality side. I just don't enjoy shooting for utility and pragmatism, every shoot for me is an adventure into getting a "wow" shot and so most of my work has started to focus in on things that suit that. And I don't shoot on big sets with big crews. But it's hard to argue with having a good practical zoom when things start moving fast.

What smaller/lighterweight zooms might suit me well?

Also, any thoughts on Milvus VS Leica-R in terms of a prime set?

I will say, I am pretty open, but skeptical about replacing primes with zooms VS adding a couple pragmatic zooms to a prime set (and perhaps just scaling back the prime set as 6 lenses may be excessive -- and my feeling was the 21 would be the first to go from the list, but not necessarily).

Also feel free to pushback if regardless of what I am saying above for shoot style, a cine-style lens kit or zooms would be better. I just haven't seen the utility when I can throw on my Edelkrone Focus ONE to the Milvus lenses easily for follow focus and add a mattebox if I want. Outside of large sets where people expect cine-style glass, why?

Also prefer the option of having a FF lens set to use with different sensor sizes and camera bodies, unless that's foolish and a huge trade-off if I am shooting S35/m43 80% of the time.

Thoughts on Milvus were: love zeiss. basically a set of quasi mini cine primes if I add follow focus, but flexibility to strip down and be low key. EF mount becoming more and more common and likely a long term standard. zeiss should hold resale. most modern design, weather sealing, matching set. long focus throws.
    Last edited by filmguy123; 12-13-2017 at 12:34 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    EF mount becoming more and more common and likely a long term standard. zeiss should hold resale. most modern design, weather sealing, matching set. long focus throws.
    P.S. The Nikon versions have de-clicked aperture rings. You'd probably use electronic adapters/SBs with the EFs, but having an all manual piece of glass that is usable with no additional electronic hardware needed is a great investment IMO.

I'm sure the EFs would work out fine for you, but just maybe something to consider during your quest.

Also, it should be maybe noted that even though these lenses are great for video, you would be buying primarily stills glass...just something to also keep in mind when evaluating the worth of your package down the road as a DP.

9. Collapse Details
    Something that I haven't seen brought-up, yet, in the still vs. cine. lens discussion on this thread: Physical aperture ring/adjustment. To me, I absolutely hated having to adjust the iris via the camera in my early days on the C300 with native EF still lenses. It's a PITA to begin with, but especially annoying/limiting if you are shooting something(like in a doc/live event situation) where you have to adjust the aperture "live". Enough can't be said about being able to adjust it without really having to think about it.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    I disagree with the suggestion of sigma cine lenses, even if you have $$ to burn. That EVA needs to stay small!

If you think you'll end up with the the sigma 18-35 and 50-100 anyway, why not buy them first then see which focal lengths you use the most and decide if you need the primes?

For under $2k, it's about as good as it gets concerning value for money. I also echo David's advice to not let your wants carry as much weight as your needs. If you notice the difference and love the zeiss look for personal projects and that's important then fantastic. But unless you're being rewarded (paid more) because you shot with the Milvus glass I wouldn't go with the set. That same amount of money, if pumped into different aspects of production will increase your ability to create different looks i.e. add production value more than the lenses.

I think if you see yourself seriously moving into FF then the Milvus argument becomes more interesting but moving forward the pair of sigma stills zooms, along with the EVA can always be demoted to B or even C camera duties.

PS Maybe David could part with some of his collection of several dozen lenses...could be its own thread!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast