Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    5 or 6 lens kit? redundant focal lengths?
    Debating if I "need" / if there is sufficient value in having the following focal lengths (Zeiss Milvus lens kit).

Shooting on S35 and M43 w/.71x speedbooster.

Milvus 15 f/2.8
    Milvus 21 f/2.8
    Milvus 25 f/1.4
    Milvus 35 f/1.4
    Milvus 50 f/1.4
    Milvus 85 f/1.4

The lens in debate is the 21mm. Pros for it, I keep reading the Zeiss 21 is "legendary", and it's a nice balance between being aggressively wide, and standard. The 25 is a great focal length for S35 IMO (28 might be ideal but no 28 in Milvus line, and the new 25 is f/1.4, which should be brilliant much like the new 35 1.4).

Cons against 21, it's "only" f/2.8 and it's use may be limited (do I really need a "medium" wide?). It's a lot to invest in a lens if it doesn't fill an important enough gap.

Do you see the 21 serving an important focal length in this line-up, filling a missing hole, or is it a bit of a redundant/waste of a lens purchase?

(NOTE: Not interested currently in adding more glass to the long end (girlfriend has a Canon 70-200 I can borrow if needed, and Milvus 135 is frankly too long for what I tend to use). Down the road, when needed, I will likely add the Milvus 100 macro. Plus I tend to favor using M43 long glass for dual IS, size/weight, and longer m43 reach. Bottom line: I hardly ever go that long.)

2. Collapse Details
    These are full frame lenses?

Surely that spend for s35 is somewhat questionable?

The 21 would surely be legendary on full frame?

Maybe lose the 15 and get a booster instead?

21 boosted would be something like a 15/2 which would work better as a set than a 15/2.8 when mixed with a bunch of 1.4 lenses.

Having a slow wide can make shooting hard because you need to light to 2.8 not a wider stop

3. Collapse Details
    If you're shooting narrative then yes buy the whole set. If not, I'd buy an Arri m18 and a set of nikkors

4. Collapse Details
    No narrative (currently). Documentary, live event, commercial / corporate / branding.

Why is that spend for S35 questionable? (I do want lenses compatible with Full Frame as industry keeps going larger, and the S35 crop uses the best part of the lens, yes?)

Perhaps the 21 is less legendary when 1.5x crop and not used fully wide... but is the focal length itself still valuable?

"Lose the 15, get a booster" - I have a booster for m43. EVA1 is ef-mount, no booster possible.

Re: lighting to f/2.8 I don't really work that way often as I work solo op, not on large sets, and tend to light artistically and change focal length up depending on shot. I usually only shoot at f/3-5 range, but the 1.4 comes in handy for natural light shots and low light, or artistic DOF as needed.

5. Collapse Details
    If you need to shoot a low light sequence then 2.8 at the wide can be problematic.

The fundamental problem of Ff glass on s35 is that you are paying for and carrying a load of unused glass - the extra image circle

Not a problem with cheapo glass but my understanding is that this set is not cheap.

Surely there are better options for the money in the s35 world?

6. Collapse Details
    oh I see what you mean. Well, I have a load of m43 native glass (voigtlander, leica, etc.) for my lightweight kit. I'm looking at S35 as my "heavy weight" kit. I *love* the Zeiss look and am looking for a long term set that I can use on multiple systems (BMD, Sony, Panasonic, Canon, etc.) so I am not tied to one sensor size or one manufacturer. I may pickup a Sony A7SIII for lowlight work at some point as another camera body. Or want to rent a FF sensor. Etc. I may be S35 forever (I think it's a great sensor size), or for 3-4 years. This glass, though - maybe forever? So, EF mount FF glass feels good for this investment. (always open to alt suggestions though!)

Plus, I'm not aware of any S35 dedicated zeiss glass that fits the bill (zeiss, manual long focus throw, ef). Milvus also has newest designs, weather sealing, great build, excellent long throw focus. True cine style primes are another notch up in big and bulky, and I really don't need them for what I do - and prefer to have something I can OMB and easily hand focus, or add my Edelkrone Focus ONE rings on as needed.

And, when I need lightweight, small, discreet - m43 does the trick.

All that said... what would you recommend instead for the "S35 world"? I guess I've never seen it as an inferior format to FF, rather, preferred for cinema, but with FF glass being the most universal and flexible.

[Also, still curious on my initial question on 15, 21, 25 -- or skipping and just going 15, 25. Is the gap between 15-25 worth filling with 21?]

7. Collapse Details
    In s35 - my simple cinematography wide mcu ecu mid doesn't really use a 21 to be fair.

Those sigma zooms are interesting - t2 and great range in two lenses
    Or the Fuji zooms?

Or.. Well I don't really!

8. Collapse Details
    Another thought on manual glass.. very hard to focus at 4-6k. DPAF3 (2019) may really bring AF into town and have significant depreciative affect on manual glass.

I dont know your business but personally I don't see those lenses as part of a profitable shooting package.

Personally Id go with used zeiss classics, used. (they just stopped making them and the prices may rise!)

9. Collapse Details
    For Documentary work I would go with zooms, maybe the fuji or the sigma zooms, getting the photography versions will save a lot of money also

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanWright View Post
    For Documentary work I would go with zooms, maybe the fuji or the sigma zooms, getting the photography versions will save a lot of money also

Ditto on the zooms for doc and live event work.

Also as a business purchase, my advice would be to really weigh your want vs need.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast