Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Disconnecting the power to the ccd unit causes all the fans to run at full but if your ccd unit is giving image, it’s not a loose cable.

Are all fans running?

It is true that running camera off 12v will cause power supply to work harder than 24v, but who has 24v batteries these days.

My guess is temp sensor on fan board is reading wrong. Replacing temp sensor will fix but we need to know which one it is.

Inside the ccd unit are massive capacitors, these caps will one day pop and leak, it will most likely be the issue that kills all our f35’s. Could be 30 years from now but with heat you could pop them in minutes. Mac covering the vents to prevent dust in the desert was a very dangerous idea IMO.

I have a f35 with melted caps, I can post the crazy errors it gives but I can tell you it’s not pretty. Hopefully I will replace and get working again.

If temp sensor is bad but fans are running you are safe to keep using. If any of the fans are dead, don’t run thout camera too long.

2. Collapse Details
    Fear, not Yachaca. There are people out in world wherever you may live that can fix the leaky capacitors on a component level! I saved an old Sony BVW50 repairing myself once. ( very time consuming) I also had a camera tech work on an old Sony 400 (Betacam) The boards inside these older analog cameras and decks were full of these capacitors. I think the caps started leaking around 12 years into their life on the used Betacam product. Sony also carries a lot of replacement boards, but how old are those? You can identify a leaky cap with your bare eye, or if the caps are tiny with a magnifying glass, you’ll see a brown leaky mess at the top or bottom of the capacitor when it leaks, when you remove the old capacitor make sure no damage was done to the board where the cap sits, sometimes you need to repair that as well, the leaky capacitor is very corrosive.

3. Collapse Details
    Very helpful, thank you all!

This is where I am at right now:
    1. all fans are spinning and pumping air.
    2. no vents are covered
    3. dust build up on fan blades has been removed
    4. camera has cine ei mode - there is a sticker on the back of the camera that reads: V1.46
    5. running via the 4pin xlr off of Anton Bauer Cine batteries. Camera reads 14.8 volts.
    6. when camera is first on, I can still run auto 1 and 2 "quiet" fan modes
    7. all other functions seem normal.
    8. image is good, and clean from what I can tell.

It would be great to meetup and problem solve together.

4. Collapse Details
    Did you go to the maintenance menu and switch to minimum fan from the options? Auto Modes are for when SRW1 is attached. Read version 6 of the manual if you haven’t.

5. Collapse Details
    Ok, I am realizing, I have not done as much reading as I should have.

I am realizing, now, and this may seem ridiculous, but I am just now realizing that there is a Cine mode and a Cine EI mode. My camera only has the Cine mode. Maybe I knew it at one time, but the camera was sitting on the shelf with the broken cboard and the fan max issue so long, that I have forgotten most of what I read from this forum and the bits of manual (which I believe I was reading an old version from manulslib, rather than the most current one on the official Sony site.)

The manual fan setting of "MIN" can only be activated for a split fraction of a second, then the camera overrides that and near instantly reverts to MAX.

Looking at the version history on the camera, this thing hasn't been updated since 2009. Nearly a decade. Haha.

I took some screenshots of where I was at.
    SHD_IMG_0032.jpg
    (Cine mode and CUSTOM yes or no. No Cine EI option?)

SHD_IMG_0025.jpg
    (ROM version page)

SHD_IMG_0029.jpg
    (Fan settings)
    Last edited by James0b57; 10-11-2018 at 05:33 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    For those that are not signed, the "ROM version" page on my camera reads:

MAIN : V1.46 DEC/22/2009

NET : V1.42 JUN/09/2009

BOOT : V1.20 JUL/16/2008 F35

7. Collapse Details
    According to eddavid's post there is at least a V2.12 out there somewhere. My camera would then be outdated. So, I am seeing getting it updated will be my next step. Looks like finding another downloadable firmware file will be more than a simple google search. And perhaps finding a bigger Memory stick card.

This thread used to have the latest firmware, but the link no longer works to the download:
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...firmware-v2-12

8. Collapse Details
    Here it is James:
    Latest Firmware
    Documentation
    Latest Manual Rev. 7

Download all from the link, because yep you are OLD firmware bro. Last one was 2.12... so go figure... Hopefully it resets your fan issues. And read the manual again. Lots of clues in there. But you knew that already, Ha!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z5rnu0u5w...pmbGvCFea?dl=0

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rbirnbaum View Post
    Here it is James:
    Latest Firmware
    Documentation
    Latest Manual Rev. 7

Download all from the link, because yep you are OLD firmware bro. Last one was 2.12... so go figure... Hopefully it resets your fan issues. And read the manual again. Lots of clues in there. But you knew that already, Ha!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z5rnu0u5w...pmbGvCFea?dl=0
    Thank you so much!

Any advice in the process? Anything that might trip someone up?

( I may start a new thread after doing the update, explaining the process as I saw it)
    Last edited by James0b57; 10-12-2018 at 09:26 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Firmware update complete. It was surprisingly easy, but not straight forward, in the least. So, thank you @rbirnbaum for the download links, and a big thanks to @yachacha for loaning me an Memory Stick!

However, the firmware didn't fix the issue. So, I have Cine EI and 12bit but still running fans on max.

Generally takes a couple minutes before the fan error shows up, and in that first couple minutes I can manually change fan speeds. But after a little while, the fan revs up and an error message "SHUTDOWN/FAN MAX" overlays the top of the menu and the sub display.

I may be building a custom case, but it will end up being a sound blimp case for these fans! lol.

Anyway, on ward with the tinkering and may have to level up my cursory knowledge.
    Last edited by James0b57; 10-12-2018 at 11:49 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast