Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Conjecture is fun.

;-)
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    Conjecture is fun.

;-)
    This isn't conjecture. This is product design.

We're doing your job for you, Mitch. ;-)
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    A constant f/2.8 10x parfocal lens is going to have cine pricing, where we are talking at least $20K+ for the lens alone.
    While I do not know, I find $20,000 hard to believe. Like a stated earlier in the thread, an RX10 II (yes, it is a smaller sensor, but not that small) can have a 10x f2.8 lens for camera price of ~$1300. I guess I have more faith in technology, but it seems like there can be improvements to what the DVX200 has now. F2.8 up to 100mm would help a lot. Kind of a struggle between - is this a convenient cinema type camera or a larger sensor event camera? The faster the lens gets the more it can be used in both camps. The slower the lens the less it can be used in any camp .

4. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    While I do not know, I find $20,000 hard to believe.
    What you are asking for is a "junior" version of a lens like this...

Like a stated earlier in the thread, an RX10 II (yes, it is a smaller sensor, but not that small) can have a 10x f2.8 lens for camera price of ~$1300.
    That lens covers half the size of the GH5 sensor, it's way too small.

...This is highly speculative, but try and find a zoom that covers S35 for the same zoom range and speed you want, and then cut the price in half.

5. Collapse Details
    There is no interchangeable lens with this zoom range outside of the broadcast world. Retail pricing is always going to be huge due to the low number of sales. The use of internal fixed lens designs is where these types of focal lengths are possible at a lower cost. So no comparisons can really be made. I know the RX10 II's lens is too small to cover the m4/3rds sensor but as a point, the RX 10 II lens is quite compact. If you factor in the larger format of the DVX200 you might have a middle ground. At least something that can be better than what is basically an f4+ lens on the DVX200 now.

Can you imagine a 10x broadcast lens selling for under $1,300? They are only 2/3" chips.

6. Collapse Details
    At least something that can be better than what is basically an f4+ lens on the DVX200 now.
    Are there any other zooms that will properly cover the GH5 sensor with the specs you are looking for that do not have "cine" pricing ?

Everything I've seen is either made for a much smaller sensor, or has pricing that approaches "cine" pricing.

7. Collapse Details
    My point is that the fixed lens versions can not be compared to a retail lenses with the same focal length. For example, a 10x 2/3" broadcast lens would be very expensive yet an entire camera with a 1" sensor and 10x lens can retail for $1,300. One could argue the broadcast lens is better but the lens on the RX10 II is no slouch.

Panasonic has the Lx100 camera which has an f1.7-f2.8 24-75mm eq lens and can fit in your pocket. There are no m4/3rds zooms faster than f2.8 in the retail world but one showed up on this fixed lens model. Just trying to point out that fixed lens designs seem to offer more than retail lenses. I want to hope this benefits us video folks who favor the fixed approach. Will is show up? You are probably more on target than I am but for me to buy one, I need a more versatile lens.

8. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Panasonic has the Lx100 camera which has an f1.7-f2.8 24-75mm eq lens and can fit in your pocket.
    But a 3:1 zoom ratio is very different than a 10:1 ratio. All of the faster Panasonic m4/3 zooms have a similar small zoom ratio.

Personally I have no problem with the DVX200 lens as long as it keeps focus and can maintain a constant aperture across it's full zoom when set to f/4.5. ( given a choice I would rather have a shorter zoom that did not go past f/4.0 on the long end )

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    Realistically, I think Panasonic could give us a refined DVX200 camera with internal 10-bit 4:2:2 recording and the same fixed lens as before. ( i.e. a hybrid of the DVX200 + GH5 )
    I would be GREAT with this. Current DVX200 capabilities - onboard audio, HDMI etc - put in GH5s sensor/electronics for better low light - and I'm there. If the DVX200 was just a bit better in low light I'd own one today. I don't want to franken-rig a GH5/GH5s.

10. Collapse Details
    The EVA1 form factor would seem to be the logical size and weight for any new DVX. It also makes sense fo Panasonic to re-use existing components.
    If they manage to make an F4 parfocal lens with a little wider zoom and range and
    include a new sensor with added features such as internal 10bit 4K 4:2:2, potential Internal 2k Raw,
    5 axis IBIS, and kept all the connections and wireless/bluetooth features then they should be on to a winner.

The improved low light sensor would make the f4 lens (or hopefully even faster) good for low light conditions.
    I do feel the current lens could be a good bit wider however.
    Also a 4”-5” daylight viewable touchscreen LCD would be a great advantage.

IMO it would also be good to see Panasonic get the camera into the hands of existing customers to test and evaluate first.
    I trust long term and real world (small time users) who have experience with a camera over celebrity endorsements any day.
    Plus I like to see the small guys/gals and those trying to create getting an opportunity to improve their set-up.

Fingers crossed Panasonic throws everything at any new DVX and out perform and spec the competition.

EDIT: I hope Panasonic keep most of the physical buttons from the DVX. Like the 48V phantom
    power/ chanel 1-2 switch, gain etc, some of the controls appear to be included in the menu of the EVA1 rather than on the body,
    also the AF/Manual, push auto, focus assist buttons are extremely useful with a fixed lens run and gun camera.
    Basically, keep the best features of the DVX while upgrading the body and internals.
    Last edited by tillhavis; 12-07-2017 at 04:14 AM.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast