Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
  1. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by bfjewett View Post
    No info yet if there will be any new MFT mount camcorder (don’t think this will happen)"
    The problem with a MFT mount camcorder would be the cost of a interchangeable motorized zoom lens, which would likely put the camera in the $8K+ or higher price range. So I don't expect this to ever happen.

But I do expect an upgrade to the DVX200 with a fixed zoom lens at some point. This is what I'm hoping will be announced at NAB 2018.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    It has been a disappointing NAB for me. I have to decide whether to wait for a maybe-someday dvx200 update, or look elsewhere for something in a camcorder body. A GH5s in a fixed-lens camcorder was perhaps too much to wish for, perhaps Panasonic is ceding this to Sony? Wish the UMP was better in low light. I still have an old DVX100 and would prefer to stick with Panasonic...

3. Collapse Details
    If Panasonic put the GH5S sensor in the DXX-200 body and included in-camera ProRes Raw, how could that no become a legendary camera? The EVA1 and S35, FF crowd want their large sensors and interchangeable lenses, so Panasonic is safe there. Blackmagic is going to drop their Pocket 4K in a weird camera-style format anyway, so why not capitalize off the DVX-200 chassis and lens and create this near perfect camcorder? I’d definitely pick one up for documentary work and I’m heavily invested in an FS7, lenses, and other Sony cameras and gear.

Panasonic has a chance to take over the camcorder market by putting together Blackmagic quality with Panasonic’s durable all-in-one, full featured camera. Sony is terrified of raw, so they wouldn’t be a competitor. Canon absolutely doesn’t have the balls (or the capability that Panasonic has with their current MFT camera chassis and lens). JVC? Nope. This could be the next classic DVX.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    I think Panasonic just does not have budget to participate in the camera market like they used to. There are some obvious holes in the camera market if you look beyond all of the large sensor hype. The DVX300 and a 1" chip type camcorder at a PRO level are unique and would be a great tool to make money with. As I have stated before in this thread my choices would be:

DVX300 - GH5s sensor, small body with a 24-160mm constant f2.8 lens
    PX-180 - 1" or 2/3" sensor with dual ISO and a 20 or 22x lens

Both with 10bit and 8bit codecs. 4k60p. 120fps continuous mode with audio. IBIS. Great Viewfinder. Price em' where you need to, just make them!

5. Collapse Details
    Panasonic could get close to this by making a servo zoom lens for MFT. Updating firmware in GH5 and GH5S to manage the lens and they have close to what you want ( and I want !!! ). The cameras have the Lanc control on them, I use that with my Libec controller and Olympus 12-50 power zoom. It is simple speed control though with no ramping for smooth operation but the controls are there a nice lens like the Sony ones for the FS7 would be great. I know it would likely cost as much as the camera but if that is the case the combination of GH5S, lens and XLR unit would still be less than the cost of the DVX200 !!! Why would Panasonic put the power zoom control in the cameras if they were not going to bring out a lens newer than the old ones they have or the Olympus ?

6. Collapse Details
    Power zoom would be ok but I would guess it would not be as fast or as affordable or as good as a fixed lens. A fixed lens gives them a chance to optimize the lens/camera. Plus, you would need batteries to power the lens if it was sold separately. Either way, give us some servo love.

7. Collapse Details
    I am sure they could make it as good as the fixed lens but of course that would need integration with the camera firmware which would not make the lens attractive to any other MFT mount camera. I am sure they do that now with all their lenses managing the lens camera performance. The 14-140 for instance is around $500 but I am sure a good power servo zoom version may well be $2000. The Olympus 12-50 I have works fine off the battery and I am sure Panasonic have thought about this too since controls are in the menus both for still use and video. Not as neat a package as on integrated camcorder but with the added flexibility of choice of lens for other uses. Would of course lack ND filters add that to the lens and it would be wonderful !!!

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexLF View Post
    great fixed lens f2.8 + GH5s sensor (if rumors are true) would be a game changer.

but I like DVX200 size, I easily put it on my shoulder...
    I would also be OK with the same size, or perhaps a little smaller. I don't want something that feels/looks like a toy and that is so small that it is sensitive to the slightest bump.

I would like :
    - the GH5s multi-aspect sensor/codec/capabilities, and
    - a slightly faster lens (either later transition from 2.8>f4, or constant 2.8), and
    - a wider lens possibly with shorter telephoto end.

If I'm allowed to dream more, the BM Ursa Mini Pro layout is idea, to me: Status display, switches, and as few things relegated to a menu system as possible.

I agree with the above thoughts that there really is a market for a really good fixed lens camera. I hope Panasonic sees it that way. I'm leaning towards a GH5s but am reluctant to buy anything until I know what Panasonic is up to next so I can plan on a series of easily color-matched cameras. if I knew an updated DVX was coming, getting a GH5s and waiting on the DVX would be easy. For now, I keep glancing at the UMP but want better low-light flexibility.

But I can't wait much longer.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112