Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 319
  1. Collapse Details
    #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,310
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by jbregar View Post
    The GH5 is like half the size of a 1DX Mark II... and weighs less than half of what the 1DX Mark II does (725g vs. 1530g).

    Yes... a GH5 is closer to the size and weight of a 1DX Mark II than the 1DX Mark II is to the size of a shoulder-mount ENG rig... but the difference is still pretty massive. It's even more massive for the GH4.

    I can get a GH5 and three large M34 zooms (Oly 7-14, 12-40 and 40-150 f/2.8 trio) and four small primes (Oly 12/2, 17/1.8, 25/1.8, 45/1.8) in a Think Tank Citywalker 10 with some space to spare... which is a pretty small shoulder bag. That same bag can carry a 5D Mark IV and 2-3 lenses if I stuff it full. The difference in kit size is real.
    That is not a massive difference. You can literally hold both in your hands like a bowl of cereal.

    A massive difference is a 32lb ARRI rig that may run 3-4 feet vs. a 7lb GH5 rig that may max out at a foot.

    In what world would a few mms and grams make a difference to a professional filmmaker or photographer? When real money is on the line, that is the last thing anyone is worried about. As far as filmmaking is concerned, it's brought up when you have to stick a camera under a car or outside of a plane, etc.

    If someone is worrying about their kit size then I'm sorry to say they are probably not where they want to be in their career either.

    If you're by yourself then you make it work. You'll have your GH5 with a Think Tank on one shoulder. And I'll have my 1DX Mark II with one Think Tank on each shoulder. What's the problem?

    Maybe I'm in the minority but I think as a generation we've become a little soft. People had it much more difficult in the past.

    IMO, when one is worried about how many grams or millimeters they might save on their still camera for their video work...priorities need to change.
    Last edited by NorBro; 12-05-2017 at 04:00 PM.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,010
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    That is not a massive difference. You can literally hold both in your hands like a bowl of cereal.

    A massive difference is a 32lb ARRI rig that may run 3-4 feet vs. a 7lb GH5 rig that may max out at a foot.

    In what world would a few mms and grams make a difference to a professional filmmaker or photographer? When real money is on the line, that is the last thing anyone is worried about. As far as filmmaking is concerned, it's brought up when you have to stick a camera under a car or outside of a plane, etc.

    If someone is worrying about their kit size then I'm sorry to say they are probably not where they want to be in their career either.

    If you're by yourself then you make it work. You'll have your GH5 with a Think Tank on one shoulder. And I'll have my 1DX Mark II with one Think Tank on each shoulder. What's the problem?

    Maybe I'm in the minority but I think as a generation we've become a little soft. People had it much more difficult in the past.

    IMO, when one is worried about how many grams or millimeters they might save on their still camera for their video work...priorities need to change.
    Who is actually where they want to be in their career?

    Anyway there's no point discussing bodies alone, the differences like you say aren't as obvious. The measurement has to be the total size of a complete system ready for shooting. It can be the difference between fitting in a small carry on, one less type of battery to worry about, or even smaller support set ups. It all depends on the type of production - the 32lb Arri can be a terrible choice. Similarly, going with m43 can the wrong choice too. While not being as extreme a decision to make, a 1dx m ii/two think tank bags vs one think tank bag, again depending on the project, could be a huge burden. Once I used a gh4 for its tiny package which meant ease (speed) of shooting. Image quality was nearly my least important criterion.

    At the end of the day, you have to let the m43 crowd keep their size argument!


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,310
    Default
    Initially, I was just talking about physical dimensions of the stills bodies alone and nothing else. Once we start talking about lenses, additional accessories or change factors based on circumstances, it's all out the window.

    P.S. I don't have anything against MFT (I was a hardcore BM pocket/BMCC shooter at one point in my life).


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    728
    Default
    Spoken like someone whoís never had to hoof gear up a trail or ride with it up a ski lift. Iíll take every pound of savings I can get for a chunk of my shooting.

    My buddy shoots for a ton of outdoor (hunting) programs. Heís not gonna carry a 1DX and a full compliment of lenses if he can help it. A GH5, a couple of light primes and speed booster gets him the same look in a third of the weight... and he can plop it on a gimbal if needed too. When he needs distance or shallow DOF look isnít required, he can use the native m43 zooms he carries.

    Panasonic has a 100-400mm m43 lens. Thatís a 200-800mm equivalent FOV. Imagine what itíd take to carry that for a 1DX. Just not practical for outdoors stuff.

    Not everyoneís shooting with a 15 person crew and a full compliment of gear sherpas.

    Not to mention shooting with a GH5 and 12-40/2.8 is a heck of a lot more discreet than a 1DXII and a 24-70/2.8.

    And yes, all DSLRs are tiny compared to a 32 lb ARRI kit... but thatís silly. Theyíre also tiny compared to an IMAX rig. Or a Volkswagen Beetle. Or a space shuttle. The 1DX weighs over twice what a GH5 does and one thatís kitted out with a lens is going to be even heavier. Thatís a big difference when weight and size matter.

    The point is, a m43 body has significant size/weight advantages... and itís not just ďsoftnessĒ that makes those advantages desirable.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,310
    Default
    I cannot relate, but I hear you.

    Nevertheless, I'm interested to see what December 15th brings.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    4,328
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    In what world would a few mms and grams make a difference to a professional filmmaker or photographer? When real money is on the line, that is the last thing anyone is worried about.

    If someone is worrying about their kit size then I'm sorry to say they are probably not where they want to be in their career either.

    Maybe I'm in the minority but I think as a generation we've become a little soft. People had it much more difficult in the past.

    IMO, when one is worried about how many grams or millimeters they might save on their still camera for their video work...priorities need to change.
    I feel pretty happy with my career, and kit size is important to me. National Geographic photographers who travel the world telling stories solo are many people's dream careers... (until they hear about the modern day low pay!). But I don't see how being in a well paying career position where you're doing a lot of work where size/weight matters (plane hoppers, puddle jumpers, vans up mountain roads, hikes into remote areas, small jungle boats in tribal villages, staying discreet to acquire natural shots, etc.) is somehow less than.

    IMO, as tech advances, the benefits of small/light will become increasingly clear and desirable to all... for me it's about creative freedom. I definitely experience that more when my gear becomes more and more invisible. I recognize that for large production teams, this is non issue, but I think there's an awful lot of awesome work and satisfying career to be found in cinema outside of that context.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    437
    Default
    If the GH5s will be even more video centric camera than GH5 I hope it can show exposure information (A,SS, iso) in all video modes.


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #88
    Senior Member TheTrickster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    394
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesku View Post
    If the GH5s will be even more video centric camera than GH5 I hope it can show exposure information (A,SS, iso) in all video modes.
    And take a few of the new things on the G9 also, like the ability to lock all the dials using an Fn button.
    Rich
    -
    Underwater BMPCC4K and Lumix GH5/Atomos User


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,310
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    I feel pretty happy with my career, and kit size is important to me. National Geographic photographers who travel the world telling stories solo are many people's dream careers... (until they hear about the modern day low pay!). But I don't see how being in a well paying career position where you're doing a lot of work where size/weight matters (plane hoppers, puddle jumpers, vans up mountain roads, hikes into remote areas, small jungle boats in tribal villages, staying discreet to acquire natural shots, etc.) is somehow less than.

    IMO, as tech advances, the benefits of small/light will become increasingly clear and desirable to all... for me it's about creative freedom. I definitely experience that more when my gear becomes more and more invisible. I recognize that for large production teams, this is non issue, but I think there's an awful lot of awesome work and satisfying career to be found in cinema outside of that context.
    Plenty of PAs out there ready to help...

    Photographer.jpg


    3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    443
    Default
    If the December 15th announcement is a new GH5 (I don't believe it is) , I'll do something radical like not buying any new lenses in 2018....a FW upgrade does not count!...I still think it's a lens!


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •