Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132
  1. Collapse Details
    I'd say more than half of potential GH5S buyers whine about the lack of IBIS, that has cut out a lot of potential buyers. Panasonic badly underestimated how much that feature is valued and they are paying the price in leaving money on the table for potential buyers who will go Sony. But it seems that most pros are going to put the GH5S on a gimbal or mount it to a tripod or remote location, so perhaps IBIS isn't as important to those users? I know for me, I couldn't care less that the GH5S lacks IBIS, it wouldn't matter for how I use it (gimbal or tripod). But the GH5S is in an interesting place price-wise. For pros, $2,500.00 is borderline disposable while for hobbyists, it's a lot of money. Never has a consumer camera had so many pro features and appeal to pros. But the pro market is tiny compared to the consumer market. I haven't had time to use it on more than one shoot so far, but on the surface, it's a really nice little camera.

But overall, I have heard that sales have been healthy for the GH5S. As to the amount of truth to that statement, only Panasonic knows if its meeting sales expectations.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2. Collapse Details
    Yup, IBIS is what will hurt sales, not softness. And Puredrifting is spot on. For a lot of pros, the GH5s is an impulse purchase and at that point, so they could just as easily buy bigger if needed for superior lowlight. For hobbyists, it's pushing the envelope and many of them will demand IBIS. I think Panny would have been better served to make the GH5s just slightly less sensitive in order to accomodate IBIS... but that will very likely balance out on GH6.

There's a decent in-between market though.

I just got mine today and ran some quick tests. The low ISO is very very good. A lot of the online tests focus on extreme lowlight which is never what I have been interested in. It's that awkward indoor medium light for live event coverage or natural light indoor coverage. Shooting around home with standard indoor light, or lights off, looks EXCELLENT. It's something the GH5 could do ok with at around ISO 2500/3200 with a few lights on, but the GH5s excels. Super clean at ISO 6400 and this opens a ton of doors for great looking footage, or indoor slow motion shots without supplemental light, etc.

I have a GH5, GH5s, and EVA1. I have a .71x speedbooster and Milvus primes, native lumix glass, and a voigtlander set. My schedule is a little insane for in the coming weeks but if/when I get a chance I will try and do some tests comparing these using the same glass. I don't do scientific tests though because I find them annoying, I'd likely just shoot the same content 3 times over with similar settings and compare for overall impression.

3. Collapse Details
    Looks like GH5s is starting to appear with special bundle offers worth over $300 already. See link.
    Last edited by Firstbase; 03-20-2018 at 09:34 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    The margins vary on cameras...and it depends on the company and the camera. But for the most part, there is still money to be made for the people selling them even with those bundles. I haven't bought a camera for its MSRP in 5 years. You have to find people who will negotiate with you. Some may never entertain the thought while others will.

5. Collapse Details
    I'll be waiting for them to pop up used. I was a bit disappointed at first with the announcement but the low light performance is beyond impressive. I was bummed about no IBIS but the more I use it the more I find the use of it is limited and actually on the niche side of things.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by sgttom View Post
    I'll be waiting for them to pop up used. I was a bit disappointed at first with the announcement but the low light performance is beyond impressive. I was bummed about no IBIS but the more I use it the more I find the use of it is limited and actually on the niche side of things.
    It's great for vintage lenses. Makes my Contax Zeiss feel modern and old at the same time. So nice! I think I'm going to keep mine and sell the GH5. It's a better fit for my work plus the improved color science & cleaner high ISO are bigger pluses than loosing IBIS.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Naso View Post
    It's great for vintage lenses. Makes my Contax Zeiss feel modern and old at the same time. So nice! I think I'm going to keep mine and sell the GH5. It's a better fit for my work plus the improved color science & cleaner high ISO are bigger pluses than loosing IBIS.
    Agreed on all accounts.

The C/Y lenses look sweet on the GH5.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

8. Collapse Details
    pay attention guys some cy lenses ruin the speedbooster baffle

9. Collapse Details
    It is certainly a nice feature. I shot a whole short using it combined with vintage glass. I've found it can't replace a gimbal though. I get weird Jitters with too much movement.

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132