Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    In retrospect,
    A7s sensor was 2014. Its been almost 4 yrs! I guess its worth to see how the a7s3 would fare with a new sensor

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by dcloud View Post
    Doesnt take a genius to tell a difference in DR side by side
    ...But you have to know exactly what you are doing to correctly set-up a camera for testing. I've seen some professional shooters screw-up simply because they got one thing wrong, which ruined the results of the test. Looking at other GH5s reviews, nobody is getting Kai's results, so I seriously think he screwed-up his testing.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by dcloud View Post
    In retrospect,
    A7s sensor was 2014. Its been almost 4 yrs! I guess its worth to see how the a7s3 would fare with a new sensor
    When it finally shows up. I will be impressed if the A7S3 has unlimited 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 recording...

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    When it finally shows up. I will be impressed if the A7S3 has unlimited 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 recording...
    I dont think a7s3 will have 10bit 4:2:2 (only HD?), it would be nice, but not essential. Maybe from marketing side. Solid 8bit 4K50p can be enough. Look at this video.

GH5s should have better low light than a7s which is awesome for me as Sony user. Since I am not huge fan of Panasonic, don't like hype around everything (since gh2?), "leaked" info before announcements, m4/3 sensor (I have some "DOF lover" clients) and lens selection. But if Panasonic pushing tech forward, other companies must too! Which is good news for everybody.

5. Collapse Details
    This is not the perfect run & gun documentary camera we have been waiting for. Without IBIS, which would have allowed us to pull focus manually, even al gimbal won't make a stabilized shot easy without extra gear. So this is a camera for big setups or very basic setups, which, by the way, could be a good thing to focus on the subject.

But it is amazing that now in 2018 prosumer cameras are surpassing the initial specs of the Red cameras. The GH5s has everything in body to shoot at Hollywood level. And there are several other cameras that do so more or less. But if you are on a tight budget and have to work with a small crew, a Olympus style IBIS and a Canon style AF would be very helpful. We still seem to be one generation away from that perfect little beast that is probably already being bred in some laboratory.

6. Collapse Details
    If the lowlight is massively improved, so that the shadows are a lot cleaner, then I'll not be surprised at all if the usable DR is increased.
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    When I spoke with the Panasonic engineers a few weeks ago at the sneak peek I was at, they confirmed that no, the GH5S doesn't have phase detection AF, that they did tweak the algorithim from the GH5 and the GH5S offers a bit better AF performance but it's not going to Canon DPAF level for sure.
    Thanks. The AF is kind of a sticking point for me as DSLR ergonomics, handholding and making on the fly camera changes is just too much for only two hands. AF imho is needed to really sing with these cameras in live filming situations. Overall, I can not understand the issues Panasonic is having with the GH AF system. I have a Panasonic LX7 which reacts just fine to putting your hand up in front of the camera, but the GH 5 just does not react??? Users of the DVX200 seem to like the AF as well as the still photogs with the GH5. What is the problem?

This cameras release is kind of falling down as more info becomes known. A new sensor seemingly would bring chances to improve upon older issues but it appears this new sensor is mainly better at light gathering and a little speed boots. The hopes of 60p in 10bit fell down. The hopes of DR improvement fell down. The AF system is similar and IBIS was taken away. From an outsider's point of view, this camera seems to have been rushed to market for some reason. Since I am not upgrading so to speak I will check it out but I am not as excited as I once was.

The new sensor is setting up for a killer DVX300 model if they want to go down that route. Lets hope 10bit 60p, DR improvements and great AF show up in that camera. It will be a tragedy if another 8bit camera is produced with such a capable sensor in the pipeline.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    The new sensor is setting up for a killer DVX300 model if they want to go down that route. Lets hope 10bit 60p, DR improvements and great AF show up in that camera. It will be a tragedy if another 8bit camera is produced with such a capable sensor in the pipeline.
    DVX300 with the new sensor would indeed be killer. Put the UX180 lens on it, and it would be even better.

9. Collapse Details
    You'd be surprised, there is not a whole lot of communctionan and synergy between the consumer group and broadcast group at Panasonic. There is some, but basically both divisions do what they want and have separate and distinct business goals. I doubt if you'll see the two offered in a package as the dealer network and marketing infrastructure for the two is completely different, but who knows? A dealer who carries both could market them as a package but I doubt you'll see the mothership do that.
    It is worse, I suspect you almost have the pro/broadcast division that is fighting/hating their little brother consumer division :-(
    (thus for example Panasonic cutting off it nose to spite its face with the EVA1 being released with a EF mount instead of locking MFT mount)

Hopefully retailers see the opportunity and offer EVA1/GH5S bundles themselves :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jaypass View Post
    I had a very brief experience using the IBIS on a GH5 I rented...I thought it worked well when using Dual I.S. with a compatible lens, but for some reason I found it to be funky when using a manual 12mm prime. Even when I had it on a gimbal I thought it was jumping around and doing odd and unexpected things. Not sure what I was doing wrong. So for now, IBIS isn't a requirement for me. Happy to sacrifice that for the low light and color tweaks on the gh5s.

Did you enter in the right focal length for the lens into the IBIS? As that is needed when using manual lenses.

10. Collapse Details
    I was shown 4K comparison footage on a 60" 4K display, shot around Osaka at night between the A7S II, the GH5 and the GH5S. I was blown away frankly at how much better the GH5S footage looked than the GH5 (noticeable) and the A7S II (looked really grainy and gritty in comparison). I was amazed at the performance they are getting from this new sensor, ironically produced by Sony.

The GH5S footage has better color science than the GH4 (IMHO, as an early adopter, the GH4 had really bad color science) and the GH5 (I agree, based upon the side by side tests, the GH5S has better skin tones).
    Great to hear about both lowlight and color science being so good! :-)

The time code hack is cool and works although the implementation with the PC port is a little wonky. I think Panasonic is really trying hard to regain their broadcast/prosumer business and the EVA-1 and GH5S both show an admirable amount of wanting to please the potential buying audience. You can't give everyone everything but both show that they are listening and responding much more so than Sony or Canon.
    Yes, just showing that Panasonic is trying can go a long way to making the fans happy :-)

How is the TC implementation "wonky"? Other than their use of a nonstandard connection. (which is why it is very good they're supplying the right BNC adapter cable with every camera! Awesome awesomeness)

Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast