Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jbregar View Post
    I just don't get this idea that the 35mm stills "full frame" sensor size is somehow a requirement. It was (and is) very uncommon as a "look" in cinema.
    Alexa's 65mm and RED's VV Weapon contain big boy sensors, 54.12mm x 25.58mm and 40.96mm x 21.6mm, respectively.

If anything, cinema is moving towards a world with bigger sensors.

---

As far as lenses go, I think the MFT offerings are some of the nicest options available. Super fast and amazing glass out there from Voigtlander, Panasonic and Olympus. The Veydra cinema line is my favorite on that end.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgeedigital View Post
    I'll have to take issue with this part of your comment.

My APS-C Fuji lenses for my XT-2 are all metal beasts, and are much more durable than the plastic-housed full frame Nikon glass I got rid of when I switched.
    I loved my Canon L Primes and have used a variety of Nikon E and G primes but yeah, the Fujifilm lenses build quality is amazing, plus I'm happier with the optics of the glass. At least in the focal lengths available. Both Canon and Nikon have more variety but the build quality doesn't seem as tough or as polished as Fujifilm's.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Morillo View Post
    I loved my Canon L Primes and have used a variety of Nikon E and G primes but yeah, the Fujifilm lenses build quality is amazing, plus I'm happier with the optics of the glass. At least in the focal lengths available. Both Canon and Nikon have more variety but the build quality doesn't seem as tough or as polished as Fujifilm's.
    Agreed, the Fuji glass is some of the sharpest I have used.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

4. Collapse Details
    Make sure you are all tuned in on January 8. I'm under NDA but let's just say some very cool stuff is going to be unveiled.

And I agree, the Fujinon XT-2 is a sweet little S35 imager and the glass is superb. Tried shooting with my friends on my Crane gimbal and for some reason we couldn't get the 16mm 1.4 to AF but the kits lens would (18-135, I think?) Even the kits lens looked really good. Blew away my 80D with the 10-18 or 28mm 1.8. I'm going to probably buy the XT-2 eventually.
    Last edited by puredrifting; 12-09-2017 at 03:03 PM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

5. Collapse Details
    Noice.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Make sure you are all tuned in on January 8. I'm under NDA but let's just say some very cool stuff is going to be unveiled.
    Looking forward to it. For some reason I always want to support Panasonic. Something just makes sense for me and all of their cameras I have owned over the years.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Alexa's 65mm and RED's VV Weapon contain big boy sensors, 54.12mm x 25.58mm and 40.96mm x 21.6mm, respectively.

If anything, cinema is moving towards a world with bigger sensors.

---

As far as lenses go, I think the MFT offerings are some of the nicest options available. Super fast and amazing glass out there from Voigtlander, Panasonic and Olympus. The Veydra cinema line is my favorite on that end.
    I dunno. Compared to Super35, bigger stuff is still incredibly niche.

8. Collapse Details
    Well, most mortals can't afford those tools mentioned above besides Hollywood, ha.

S35 is for the working man.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post

And I agree, the Fujinon XT-2 is a sweet little S35 imager and the glass is superb. Tried shooting with my friends on my Crane gimbal and for some reason we couldn't get the 16mm 1.4 to AF but the kits lens would (18-135, I think?) Even the kits lens looked really good. Blew away my 80D with the 10-18 or 28mm 1.8. I'm going to probably buy the XT-2 eventually.
    "Panasonic is going to blow your minds but I'm going to buy a Fuji". Mmmmm... XD
    I'll stay tuned, anyway.

Personally, what I hope for from Panasonic is that they add onboard RAW recording. The most recent Panny I have used was the GH4; it is a very nice camera, but the DR is just awful. No need for a side-by-side comparison either: I would point the camera to stuff that I can easily shoot with my RX100 IV in slog2, and found myself having to decide between clipping to black half the image, or clipping to white half the image. We added all the fill we could (on a very small production, that means using the biggest reflector we had), but still the sky would always be just white.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    "Panasonic is going to blow your minds but I'm going to buy a Fuji". Mmmmm... XD
    I'll stay tuned, anyway.
    Not instead of, in addition to.

It’s pure. He’s always purchasing more gear, it’s a sickness.

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast