1. Collapse Details
    Do you write solo or are you part of a writing group/network ?
    When you guys write do you do it solo or part of a group/network?

I've been writing for the past year solo and sometimes I wish that I had a group that I was writing with. It's hard to get motivated sometimes, you know?
    Drone Pilot at Drone Trilogy
    www.DroneTrilogy.com

2. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Solo here. I've done both, written solo and with partners. Writing solo works much better for me. To be fair, I've only written with two different partners when I was collaborating, but neither was particularly rewarding. At this point I vastly prefer working solo. Motivation - there are two. (1) Love (2) Terror. If you love what you are doing - and I love writing down crazy stuff I imagine, it's just a kick. If Love does not motivate you on a particular morning, which can happen sometimes, I always have Terror. I know time on this earth is short. Every day that I am not accomplishing something I am that much closer to the grave with that much less to show for my life. So I try to accomplish something every day, no matter how minor. It can even be - shamefully - as little as doing research. But if I am not actively writing for too long, putting words down, in 2/3 weeks, the Terror becomes overwhelming, and I get going on something. Personally I get stuck at my lowest motivation level right after I finished a screenplay. I'm done, and I'm sort of "recovering" and thinking about what I want to do next. Even when I do know what I want to do next, it sometimes takes me days/weeks to feel ready to do it. And then I do it. But that's just me - for others writing partners work wonders. A writing group on the other hand, I honestly cannot even picture how that would work. Usually, when you have a group of aspiring writers, 9 out of 10 are going to be utterly hopeless - why would I want to listen to a bunch of hopeless folks yammering on? Nothing to learn there, and a waste of time, IMHO. Of course, maybe it does work for someone, I don't know, I'm not gonna knock it if it works for you. I'm just sayin' for me that would totally not work. And ultimately, I find stuff works for me best solo. Now getting FEEDBACK, from competent readers, that's a whole other ball game, and I think super important, but that's different than a writing partner. YMMV.

3. Collapse Details
    I've written with a partner a couple times, with good results. Both were comedies, which I think benefits from collaboration. Hard to sit in a room by yourself and know what's funny, but when you're making another person laugh it's easier to gauge what's working. The partner was also my best friend, which made it easy. For the most part though, I write solo. Never had a problem being motivated, mostly because, when I'm writing, and it's really flowing, there is almost no greater happiness for me.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

4. Collapse Details
    Solo, though I've bounced ideas off my friends. We tried a writing group once, but it was an uneven distribution of labor and didn't work out.

5. Collapse Details
    I wrote my first pilot years ago with a partner I met at an improv class. It almost got produced, but...he was a liar! Things went down, the pilot didn't go anywhere, and now I work solo (when not on a development team).

My best ideas come from bouncing things off my gf. I show her my pages every day. She's an actress, so her opinion is helpful especially with dialogue.
    Screenwriter
    Los Angeles Center Studios Offices