Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    GH5 to Alexa Conversion
    Lightbulb
    "GH5 V-Log or Hybid Log-Gamma is transformed to precisely match the color science of the Alexa, without compromise."

EmotiveColor.com

PDF

Updated to V2 Reference Grade:

GHa Tungsten (Main) V2 - No other color alteration
    Last edited by Sage; 05-07-2018 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Pdf, hlg

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Turn up the volume, choose 2K, and fullscreen it

(Edge/Explorer or Safari recommended for most accurate color; Chrome/Opera Ok; Avoid Firefox)

Vimeo

Youtube
    Last edited by Sage; 05-07-2018 at 03:52 PM.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Been playing around with some of my past GH5 footage and the GH5a transformations this morning, really liking it so far!

These were graded with the 'main' transformation then finished with a touch of a Kodak film print LUT and some grain:

Looking forward to trying them out some more on some upcoming shoots!
    Last edited by ryancglover; 11-20-2017 at 09:06 AM.
    ryancglover.com - filmmaker, cinematographer
    HILLS GREEN - a feature film. USER FILMS thread.
    yellyfish films

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ryancglover View Post
    Been playing around with some of my past GH5 footage and the GH5a transformations this morning, really liking it so far!

These were graded with the 'main' transformation then finished with a touch of a Kodak film print LUT and some grain:

Probably the best colour from GH5 I've seen so far. I was on the fence about buying this camera, but I think these shots just sealed the deal!

5. Collapse Details
    The "Emotion II" color grade is pushed way beyond the breaking point. (I downloaded the source to make sure Vimeo wasn't introducing the artifacts.) Were those samples pushed beyond what the LUT does, or are they representative of the "out of the box" look of the LUT?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    The "Emotion II" color grade is pushed way beyond the breaking point. (I downloaded the source to make sure Vimeo wasn't introducing the artifacts.) Were those samples pushed beyond what the LUT does, or are they representative of the "out of the box" look of the LUT?
    You are quite right; I was looking at it this morning in the light of day, and came to the conclusion that on some shots I pushed the black levels especially way too far. I added a lot more 'punch' to the images on top of the conversion, in a raced grade going late into the night yesterday. All shots were 8-bit slow motion, and the 1080p 120fps shots in particular break down when underexposed with an extreme grade. *10-bit footage is notably free of artifacts/color blocking, no matter the grade on top of the conversion
    Last edited by Sage; 11-20-2017 at 09:59 AM.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    You are quite right; I was looking at it this morning in the light of day, and came to the conclusion that on some shots I pushed the black levels especially way too far. I added a lot more 'punch' to the images on top of the conversion, in a raced grade going late into the night yesterday. All shots were 8-bit slow motion, and the 1080p 120fps shots in particular break down when underexposed with an extreme grade. *10-bit footage is notably free of artifacts/color blocking, no matter the grade on top of the conversion
    Cool. Thanks for the response. Yeah, 8-bit V-LOG is extremely fragile. A few questions if I may:

1. Your site mentions "8-Bit V-Log Preparation". What exactly is this?
    2. How big (points) is the LUT?
    3. Can you speak any to the creation process? Eyeballed or measured? Resolve or 3D LUT Creator or something else?
    4. Is this a Rec709 LUT ready for finishing, or does it match V-LOG L to Arri LOG C?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ryancglover View Post

They look outstanding Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTaran View Post
    Probably the best colour from GH5 I've seen so far. I was on the fence about buying this camera, but I think these shots just sealed the deal!
    From Bmc:
    "Its wholly different from other color conversions.. I had to create a system that would allow me achieve the level of accuracy I was after, because what I needed was not commercially available." In particular, to achieve it I needed to track a considerable number of data points throughout the color spaces, accurately.

9. Collapse Details
    One more question, do you include a version for in-camera monitoring (.vlt)?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Cool. Thanks for the response. Yeah, 8-bit V-LOG is extremely fragile. A few questions if I may:

1. Your site mentions "8-Bit V-Log Preparation". What exactly is this?
    Its effectively a separate conversion from the color space of 8-bit V-Log to the color space of 10-bit V-Log. indeed, they are different enough to warrant a preparation conversion, and the result is considerably improved skintone (among others).

(Titled a [PRE] file, which is intended for use in line before the conversion is applied)

2. How big (points) is the LUT?
    33x33. I can provide any size or format upon request. Though 33x33 is the best in terms of performance/quality/size tradeoff, and tetrahedral interpolation can be enabled in Resolve if desired.

3. Can you speak any to the creation process? Eyeballed or measured? Resolve or 3D LUT Creator or something else?
    Measured, all the way. This was considerably more involved than a Colorchecker match ;) The process took about six/seven months.

4. Is this a Rec709 LUT ready for finishing, or does it match V-LOG L to Arri LOG C?
    Both; included are 'Main' and 'Soft' full contrast/saturation conversions, and a V-Log to LogC color science conversion (not simply a shift in known format parameters, ala Lattice/LutCalc). They are detailed in the included PDF.

And yes, a .vlt is included with each light source set. These are considerably better than the standard 709 profile in camera.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast