Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 61 to 70 of 70
  1. Collapse Details
    #61
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Brown View Post
    Have you measured them with no difference in light output?
    I have measured both the 4x (Daylight) and 6x (Daylight) with a lightmeter as various distances and found the max light output to be same on both of them. So I find the marketing claim that the 6x is 50% brighter than the 4x to be a lie, and very frustrating since the only reason I bought the 6x was because of this marketing claim.


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,810
    Default
    Well that means I should have bought the 4x when it was cheap vs paying more for the 6x. Unless there is an output difference in the bi color versions. Or unless the 4x had the board frying problem and the 6x doesn't.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #63
    Senior Member puredrifting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Posts
    9,265
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by markfpv View Post
    I know lots of folks on these boards bash them, but the Dracast 1000 panels have worked well for me over 4 or 5 years now. I have the V-mount bi-colors.
    My producing partner bought a couple, they are okay for cheap lights. A LOT of people had bad ones when they first came out, I think that hurt their reputation amongst a lot of potential buyers.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #64
    Senior Member JPNola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    New Orleans USA
    Posts
    1,140
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by MattWilliams View Post
    I have measured both the 4x (Daylight) and 6x (Daylight) with a lightmeter as various distances and found the max light output to be same on both of them. So I find the marketing claim that the 6x is 50% brighter than the 4x to be a lie, and very frustrating since the only reason I bought the 6x was because of this marketing claim.
    Their marketing states " It is now 50% brighter than the first generation Astra and 6 times brighter than the original 1x1. " 50% brighter than the first generation Astra. The 4x came after the first generation Astra. There are many iterations of the Astra, but generally speaking there was the "first generation Astra" ( the Astra 1x, if you will ), the Astra 3x, the Astra 4x, and finally the Astra 6x.

    Love the 6x or not, it is currently the workhorse 1x1 LED panel in the video production industry. It has become the 1x1 LED panel for news gathering / shooting stand-ups. I've also seen Astra 6x's working on feature films with a multi-million dollar budget. Productions that could afford to rent any light but the DP is still choosing to use Astras. The Astra is working on major filmsets alongside Arri Skypanels, Litemats, Celebs, and its brother the Litepanels Gemini. That isn't the case for the Dracast, Cello, Aputure, Brightcast, Timpani, or other "also ran". Is the Astra flawed? Yes, it is. But like the Sony Fs7, the Astra has become the "workhorse" despite the flaws. Funny how some of the complaints about the Astra are the same complaints we heard about the Fs7- it's plasticky, it has engineering flaws, the color isn't the best, you have to buy accessories to complete it, yadda yadda yadda. The fs7 went on to become the most widely used pro video camera anyway. Likewise, the Astra has become the most widely used 1x1 LED panel despite its flaws.

    As for the striking issue, I own two Astra 6x's and it is rare that I encounter the issue. Maybe 1 out of every 20 strike attempts? So far it hasn't been frequent enough of an issue to cause me to seek remedy. A second attempt at striking usually fixes things. I've never had either one of my Astras outright refuse to strike after a second attempt.
    Big sources matter.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    696
    Default
    JP, I suspect that you've been lucky with your Astra's . There is a long thread on "cml lighting" right now that mirrors the complaints here. Quite a few long experienced shooters have had to repeatedly send in their Astra's for repair.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #66
    Senior Member puredrifting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Posts
    9,265
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNola View Post
    Their marketing states " It is now 50% brighter than the first generation Astra and 6 times brighter than the original 1x1. " 50% brighter than the first generation Astra. The 4x came after the first generation Astra. There are many iterations of the Astra, but generally speaking there was the "first generation Astra" ( the Astra 1x, if you will ), the Astra 3x, the Astra 4x, and finally the Astra 6x.

    Love the 6x or not, it is currently the workhorse 1x1 LED panel in the video production industry. It has become the 1x1 LED panel for news gathering / shooting stand-ups. I've also seen Astra 6x's working on feature films with a multi-million dollar budget. Productions that could afford to rent any light but the DP is still choosing to use Astras. The Astra is working on major filmsets alongside Arri Skypanels, Litemats, Celebs, and its brother the Litepanels Gemini. That isn't the case for the Dracast, Cello, Aputure, Brightcast, Timpani, or other "also ran". Is the Astra flawed? Yes, it is. But like the Sony Fs7, the Astra has become the "workhorse" despite the flaws. Funny how some of the complaints about the Astra are the same complaints we heard about the Fs7- it's plasticky, it has engineering flaws, the color isn't the best, you have to buy accessories to complete it, yadda yadda yadda. The fs7 went on to become the most widely used pro video camera anyway. Likewise, the Astra has become the most widely used 1x1 LED panel despite its flaws.

    As for the striking issue, I own two Astra 6x's and it is rare that I encounter the issue. Maybe 1 out of every 20 strike attempts? So far it hasn't been frequent enough of an issue to cause me to seek remedy. A second attempt at striking usually fixes things. I've never had either one of my Astras outright refuse to strike after a second attempt.
    In the larger sense JP, your post perfectly illustrates what I have encountered in this industry for two and a half decades, the "industry standard" often turns out to be a compromised piece of gear overall. While there are often better, different, more flexible solutions available, Producers, uninformed clients and Directors often pigeonhole users, mostly at the low to medium end of things into HAVING to buy/rent/use something that is sub-par based upon vague name/advertisement recognition. Inrterestingly, this doesn't seem to happen at the high end as much, most DPs/Ops I know are happy to shoot with any high-end camera, I know I am, as long as it's the right tool for the job at hand. This "industry standard" thing often reflects the Lemming-like behavior that we see driving the FF craze, the 8K craze, the uncessary or detrimental use of anamorphic craze.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #67
    Senior Member Erik Naso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,344
    Default
    The ASTRA's has served me well. Yes the plastic casing sucks but the simplicity of use is a big deal. No ballast hanging. The battery attaches to the fixture. It's clean and fast to setup.


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,810
    Default
    Astra e 1x1 daylight on sale for $299 for 14 more hours at adorama.
    https://www.adorama.com/lpa1x1ed.htm...a-57e887ea86e9

    Not sure which generation this is.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #69
    Senior Member puredrifting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Posts
    9,265
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    Astra e 1x1 daylight on sale for $299 for 14 more hours at adorama.
    https://www.adorama.com/lpa1x1ed.htm...a-57e887ea86e9

    Not sure which generation this is.
    That's the first gen light but good deal!
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #70
    Sound Modulator MattinSTL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    STL, Missouri
    Posts
    6,486
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by MattWilliams View Post
    I have measured both the 4x (Daylight) and 6x (Daylight) with a lightmeter as various distances and found the max light output to be same on both of them. So I find the marketing claim that the 6x is 50% brighter than the 4x to be a lie, and very frustrating since the only reason I bought the 6x was because of this marketing claim.
    Boy I've been missing this site. I came here today to see if there was any discussion on adapting softboxes to 1x1 panels and I see this thread is current again.

    JPNola already addressed this above (in greater detail) but yes, LitePanels doesn't claim the 6x to be 50% brighter than the 4x... All the "x" factors are based on the original LitePanel (honestly, they should bail on this as it's a goofy way to measure stuff... although we still use "horsepower" so... *shrug*)... however, I have verified that the 6x and 4x are nearly identical output. I see 200lx more from the 6x at 7.5' (arbitrary distance between two fixed objects in my house, so the light and meter are in identical positions).

    Considering the cost of the snapbags, I find it surprising that nobody has done a DIY (or a factory product) to adapt 1x1 panels to standard softboxes.

    B&H has had really good prices on Impact Duo boxes (with free grids included)... so that's what I'm working on now.
    LIGHTING and SOUND AVAILABLE FOR DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OR ON DVD

    LIGHTING for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel.................................................. ............................. SOUND for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •