Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    C200 gimbal options: Looking at the Crane 2 or Ronin MX
    Was about to pull the trigger on the crane 2 but then when asking a seller on eBay he said he was selling because his c100mkii was too big for it! So now looking at maybe the ronin mx or m, but a bit gutted as the roninís seem to be a bit more of a pain in the ass

2. Collapse Details
    After using gimbals and the C200, I find the Original Ronin worked the best. Obviously, the Ronin 2 would probably be ideal.

Also, I would stick with the same size batteries to avoid rebalancing (A60s or A30s). The extension arms would help give the Ronin more range (the EVF gets in the way, unless you have the C200B). Lastly, the Canon 16-35mm is pretty much my goto lens on the Ronin.

You don't need to really get anything else as the camera and OG Ronin work right out the box. The above just makes things much easier. Balance is key!

Here are some examples of the OG Ronin with the C200 and shot with the MP4 codec:

Don't mind the edit, I just threw some clips together...
    'Because only during magic shows and navy
    working hours are the rules of logic suspended.'
    WWW.PROJECT-DEFINITION.COM
    WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM/DEFINITIONXMK

Canon C200 | RED Raven| Canon 5D Mark III | Panasonic AG-DVX100B | Panasonic G7

3. Collapse Details
    Although some users have been able to balance the C200 on a Crane 2, I wouldn't call it a proper gimbal solution as you're very limited on the tilt axis and risk potential damage to the gimbal operating it for long periods without proper balance. In my book, it seems more of a party trick than a working solution. Ronin MX will give you full gimbal functionality at the cost of some size and weight and a lot better footage most likely.

4. Collapse Details
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxzd8tnahRs

Looks like it is working properly with lighter lens. I usually use Canon 10-18 for flying, and that's very light.

5. Collapse Details
    i balanced my c100mkii with a canon 16-35 f4 IS on a rented Ronin M.
    but when i buy one i'm leaning towards the MX since the motors are stronger.

6. Collapse Details
    I tried to balance the C200 stripped down with the Canon 16-35L and it would not balance on the Ronin M so now I need to sell it and get the Ronin MX.
    Youtube.com/1sicknickel
    Vimeo.com/nickelsvision

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickelsvision View Post
    I tried to balance the C200 stripped down with the Canon 16-35L and it would not balance on the Ronin M so now I need to sell it and get the Ronin MX.
    Will it really be much better in the ronin mx?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by teamjim View Post
    Will it really be much better in the ronin mx?
    It can carry a RED so I'd expect it to carry a C200 but we will see. Maybe I will rent 1 first before pulling the trigger.
    Youtube.com/1sicknickel
    Vimeo.com/nickelsvision

9. Collapse Details
    ...Maybe I will rent 1 first before pulling the trigger.
    Smart. Gimbals have a lot of particulars and quirks about them and there is no substitute for actually shooting with one before spending the cash. I have bought three gimbals so far and not one of them has lived up to expectations for various reasons. Gimbals kind of remind me of the Model T days when buying a car wasn't the commodotized, sanitized experience it is in modern times. Each car had it's own set of quirks and shortcomings, just like each gimbal seems to. You cannot know if it's the right tool for the job until you at least shoot some extensive tests and screen them on a large screen to see exactly what the quality of movement and control are.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

10. Collapse Details
    Add Cinemilled tilt arm extensions and it should balance. I get C300mk2 w/16-35L II to balance ok with that. Limited tilt because of C300mk2 EVF can't be removed, but a very light rig overall that has advantages.
    https://cinemilled.com/product/tilt-...r-dji-ronin-m/

Other way I've made it balance is to stick a wireless audio receiver under the gimbal to lower the balance point.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast