Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Let's give Canon a list of items that should be fixed in the next firmware update!
    Hi all:

Nice that Canon just issued the latest firmware update to allow functionality with the CN-e 70-200 T4.4 lens, but...simple game here, just list the operational issues/flaws/opportunities you have found with your Canon C200 that Canon could/should and hopefully will fix via firmware. Canon C200 owners only please. Post below and I will keep updating this list so the first post in the thread contains the whole list. Please no pie in the sky, "enable 10-bit 400Mbps XF-AVC" type issues, interested in real world things that the engineering team overlooked that make the C200 more difficult to use efficiently than it should be. The C200 is my first Canon cinema camera where I feel it really was released prematurely, it feels as if the software/firmware needed one or two more rounds of revisions and refinements to be as bullet proof as my C100 and C300 MKI were upon release.

1. Camera Frame Rate Fix
    Fix the camera's default state after switching media formats. If you are shooting 23.98 fps to the SD cards in the C200 and switch to CFast, the camera defaults to shooting 60p. After changing it to shoot 23.98 fps Cinema RAW Light, then switching back to shooting .MP4, the camera will again default to recording 60p. The camera should keep the existing frame rate and raster size constant when switching media.

2. Camera Default State/Factory Setting sends magnify function through HDMI output
    Not sure about the SDI output but the camera, from the box, factory settings, sends the Magnify function out through the HDMI. This completely hosed me on one of my early shoots, as I was recording 1080p to an Atomos Ninja Blade and was paying much more attention to the camera's touch screen than the Blade screen and ended up recording the Magnify output to the Blade. The factory default should be to NOT send Magnify out through HDMI.

3. Allow the user to assign a LUT to the HDMI output.
    There may be a hardware limitation here but there shouldn't be. How come the C200 can assign a LUT to the SDI output but not the HDMI? I have a Ninja Blade, and a Zacuto EVF Pro, both HDMI devices. So if I want to shoot RAW and or .MP4 using C-Log 3 for instance, I cannot assign a REC-709 LUT to the output to help judge exposure. If I had a Zacuto Gratical or a Shogun Blade, I could use BNC and get that REC-709 LUT. Enable LUTs to the C200's HDMI output.

4. Enable HDMI and SDI output simultaneously
    Is the fact that the C200 cannot output video signal to HDMI and SDI at the same time a hardware limitation, or an artificial marketing limitation to differentiate from the C300 MKII?
    It can be incredibly frustrating to be recording 1080p to the Ninja Blade via HDMI and to NOT be able to hook up an SDI client monitor. With two new processors that are MORE powerful than the previous generation used in the C300 MKII, logically, there should be NO reason the camera cannot output signal from both. The C300 MKII is almost extinct, the C200 will not be stealing it's market share too much longer before the C300 MKIII or C400 is out so realistically, there is no reason for Canon to not enable this function.

5. Enable UHD recording to Cinema RAW Light and 1080p dual proxy recording to SD cards
    4K DCI is cool but for many users, being able to choose to shoot the same format in 16:9 UHD versus 17:9 DCI would be incredibly useful. Most people deliver UHD or 1080 to clients so having to blow up/crop or live with black bars in their deliverables means also another rendering/output pass to deliver final product. Same with the 2K proxies, many would prefer 1080 proxies.

6. Align file naming scheme with Cinema RAW Light and Proxies
    Not even sure this is possible but it would be nice if the file naming structure of either the Cinema RAW Light or the proxies could be set up to emulate each other, other than the ".MP4" and ".CRM" suffixes

7. Allow the same 35Mbps 2K proxy recording as a stand alone format
    This one seems like an easy fix. Many, many users would like the ability to record 2K .MP4s without having to roll Cinema RAW Light. This function, in no way would impinge on the C300 MKIIs 2K 12-bit XF-AVC recording. Come on Canon, just give us this.

8. Better slow motion capability and control
    No, not more fps, just better implementation. I did a shoot last week where the client wanted to shoot a pile of records falling past the camera in slow motion. I set up the camera at 120 fps and shot, we played back and client was relatively happy, even with the softer quality. But then they asked if we could shoot it at 60 fps instead of 120 fps. When I had to tell them, yes, we can shoot it at 60p but I can't play it back for you at 23.98 because the camera doesn't allow it, that was disappointing. Also, why only one speed of slow motion?!? Why not implement VFR that allows from 1 fps to 120 fps? That can't be that difficult to implement, heck even my ancient HPX-170 can do it from 1-60 fps.

9. Make interval/time lapse recording possible in Cinema RAW Light
    Right now, this is only possible with .MP4, which is prone to artifacting due to it's relatively low bit and data rate. Why not give users the ability to record time lapse and or interval recording at the highest quality 12-bit DCI and or UHD?

10. Make the joystick select function on the C200 the same as the C100
    Many of us own or owned a C100 before we bought the C200. With the C100, you can use the grip joystick to both activate and select quick menu function shortcuts like WB, ISO, etc. with one touch of the joystick pushed in to activate the menu and then using the joystick to select the function you want to change, it's MUCH better when operating shoulder mounted. On the C200, you must activate the quick select menu using the "+" button on the left-hand side of the body, then you can select function to change with any of the three joysticks. Please allow any of the three joysticks to activate this quick select function merely by pressing in on the joystick as you did for the C100.

11. The viewfinder display when aperture values are set to increment in 1/3 stop, they display in 1/2 stops.
    It can be seen in 1/3 adjustments are indeed being made as I turn the dial, but it would be nice to see the 1/3 stops indicated in the viewfinder.

12. HDMI monitoring output is inconsistent
    Many have tired outputting signal from the C200 to various outboard monitors and there seems to be no way to display anything other than 50p and 59.94p on many many, but not all monitors. Canon needs to evaluate the C200's HDMI output with at least the most populat outboard monitors on the market and ensure that 23.98, 25p and 29.97p will display over HDMI.

13. Ability to turn off LCD Touchscreen
    It would be nice to have the ability to turn off the LCD to save power when shooting with critically low power. You can just unplug it but it would be nice to be able to have a digital option to turn it off (like an energy saving standby mode or something).

14. Ability to use one XLR input while assigning the other input to internal microphone
    You cannot input an XLR microphone to Ch1 and still have internal mono mic assigned to Ch2. Assuming that is fixable in firmware, that would be hugely convenient.

15. Users are seeing streaks of light in ISO 640 shadow areas but not in ISO 800
    On page two of this thread, two users confirm they are seeing light streaks in the imager at ISO 640 in shadow areas but not in ISO 800. If possible, a firmware fix for this light streak problem would be good.

16. When C200 is in dual recording mode, file name and numbers are not identical
    When dual recording, the footage from slot A is off by ten file numbers from slot B. They should be identical as that is the whole idea behind dual recording, you can have two editors working on the same footage or could have one backup to replace footage if the card or media becomes corrupted. n dual recording i would expect that i get a duplicate in slot B of what is recorded on slot A. The naming of the folders are different in slot A and B for example 106-1212 and 107-1212 , 106/107 are the folder/reel numbers and 1212 the date recorded this makes slot B a different reel not a duplicate! The file numbering inside the folders is off by 1 as well. Ie; if the first of 5 clips in 106-1212 (slot A) is named MVI_0001 followed by 0002,0003,0004,0005, the clips in folder 107_1212 (slot B) are named MVI_0002 followed by 0003,0004,0005,0006. so the clip in A that is named MVI_0001 is named MVI_0002 in slot B, the clips are the same just named differently.

Please add your firmware requests below and I will update this master list with them.
    Last edited by puredrifting; 11-02-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    1: Improve encoding to get rid of the ugly macro blocking.
    2: Fix face detection so that it doesn't get lost when someone blinks.
    3: Do a proper S&Q style way of getting 60/50fps baked into 24/25p in camera.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post

3. Allow the user to assign a LUT to the HDMI output.
    There may be a hardware limitation here but there shouldn't be. How come the C200 can assign a LUT to the SDI output but not the HDMI?

4. Enable HDMI and SDI output simultaneously
    Is the fact that the C200 cannot output video signal to HDMI and SDI at the same time a hardware limitation, or an artificial marketing limitation to differentiate from the C300 MKII?
    Great suggestions. I don't want to hi-jack your thread, so I'll keep it brief. Just to point out the obvious: C200 has 4K/60P & 4K HDMI, C300mk2 has 4K/30P & HD HDMI. When Canon enabled Magnify Out while recording on C300mk2 they also disabled some power/processor hungry focus features to keep things inside processing and thermal envelop. I seriously doubt the new processors in the C200 can handle twice the amount of the processors in the C300mk2 without any increase in heat. So my best guess is that this is hardware limited. Or at the very least Canon is starting out carefully with features making sure they don't hit the processing/thermal limit.

Might be a good idea to add a priority list & list of compromises you are willing to make for the features that could be processor/thermal limited. F.ex. if you could have dual SDI & HDMI output, but HDMI dropped down to HD rez?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Brown View Post
    1: Improve encoding to get rid of the ugly macro blocking.
    Need more specifics about this if we are to include it in the list. At which format, raster size, frame rates? I have shot most of the formats the camera is capable of and this has not been apparent to me at all. Are you underexposing and seeing this only in the darks or ? Are you seeing this in Cinema RAW Light or only in .MP4? Only at 1080 or at UHD also? Do you see it in 2K proxy?

1:
    2: Fix face detection so that it doesn't get lost when someone blinks.
    Same question here, I just shot a bunch of dancers for a new YouTube RED show, on a white on white BG no less and experienced amazing face detection with Hip Hop and J-Setting dancers who were moving really fast, even exiting and entering frame and the face recognition nailed it, I was so impressed. I had one interview with weird ambient lighting where the face detection wandered a bit but generally, it's been pretty great for me in a ton of different, tough conditions. So are you saying that your face detection actually stops working when a talent blinks or is that a saying or metaphor? if we want to include this in a firmware update, we need specifics, like "In this lighting, framing, lens, with this subject that looked like this, face detection fails." I can tell you that face detection on all of the EOS camera fails when subject has bangs, glasses, hats, but have not had problem with blinks.

1:
    3: Do a proper S&Q style way of getting 60/50fps baked into 24/25p in camera.
    Agreed, and let's take this a step further, there is no reason why the C200 should not have VFR in 1-120 fps with frame intervals like every other slow motion camera has. Only having 60p with no slow motion conform or playback and 120 fps is obviously better than nothing but kind of limited.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Parrot View Post
    Great suggestions. I don't want to hi-jack your thread, so I'll keep it brief. Just to point out the obvious: C200 has 4K/60P & 4K HDMI, C300mk2 has 4K/30P & HD HDMI. When Canon enabled Magnify Out while recording on C300mk2 they also disabled some power/processor hungry focus features to keep things inside processing and thermal envelop. I seriously doubt the new processors in the C200 can handle twice the amount of the processors in the C300mk2 without any increase in heat. So my best guess is that this is hardware limited. Or at the very least Canon is starting out carefully with features making sure they don't hit the processing/thermal limit.

Might be a good idea to add a priority list & list of compromises you are willing to make for the features that could be processor/thermal limited. F.ex. if you could have dual SDI & HDMI output, but HDMI dropped down to HD rez?
    I agree with what you are saying but I think it would be up to Canon to grace us with any of these, with their own caveats, whatever they will be. If limitations are hardware-based, oh well, tough for us but that's the breaks. But if they are crippled for marketing, we should pressure Canon to give us features that will make the C200 a better value and to fix dumb things like many of these items are that the camera never should have shipped with in the first place.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Macro blocking and other artefacts is present in all MP4 recording to some extent. It shows most on lower exposed parts of the frame but can be seen here and there even when exposing is good.
    Face detection does get lost when someone blinks. It might be overlooked on a quick glimpse but looking at the background it's obvious it does momentarily jump in focus.

7. Collapse Details
    Make interval/timelaps recording available in rawlite now it only seems possible in mp4

8. Collapse Details
    Puredrifting, I didn't understand how Canon will fix this problems, did you wanna send to them a petition on Changeorg? Or do you have any contacts with them? I'm seriousely thinking to buy one, but all this problems worried me.
    https://www.behance.net/DaniloDelTufo

Camera:
    ---------
    Canon EOS C200, HPX170

Lenses:
    ---------
    Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM
    EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS NANO USM with Power Zoom Adapter PZ-E1
    EF 50MM f/1.4 USM STANDARD
    EF-S 24mm f2.8 STM

Workstation:
    ---------
    iMac Pro - 2.5GHz 14-core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.3GHz
    128GB 2666MHz DDR4 ECC memory
    4TB SSD
    Radeon Pro Vega 64 with 16GB of HBM2 memory

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Danilo Del Tufo View Post
    Puredrifting, I didn't understand how Canon will fix this problems, did you wanna send to them a petition on Changeorg? Or do you have any contacts with them? I'm seriousely thinking to buy one, but all this problems worried me.
    I do have some contacts in Melville Marketing. Believe it or not, Canon will see this thread. Loren Simons with Canon lurks here and occasionally posts and others as well. Change.org, IMHO, is pointless as would be a petition. While the Canon C200 is selling well from what I hear, having a petition with 50-60 names on it isn't going to do much.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by avian View Post
    Make interval/timelaps recording available in rawlite now it only seems possible in mp4
    I agree, this would be worthwhile. Added to original post.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast