1. Collapse Details
    Color Matching D7000 & D600?
    I've been a stills shooter for 20-odd years and have always gone out of my way to 'get it right in-camera' as far as both exposure and color are concerned to keep post work to a minimum.

Having been shooting video now for a couple of years, I always have an issue with there being color differences between my D7000 and D600 under identical lighting conditions (when shooting a two-camera corporate interview, for example), even when both cameras are set to the same exposure & Kelvin. Is there a reasonably easy and consistent way to color match in-camera versus trying to grade-match them in post?

I've just learned that Davinci has a feature that can utilize a color chart for white balancing after the fact (haven't tried it yet), but I'd really like to see if there's a way to have the two cameras as close as possible right out of the gate.

2. Collapse Details
    Try setting a custom white balance off an 18% gray card or white balance cap/filter on both cameras. You might be able to tweak one camera's color settings to better match the other body, I can't remember how to do it though. Some sensors can be more light sensitive than others, so identical exposure settings might not yield the same exposure on each camera.

3. Collapse Details
    I went out and bought a Lastolite XpoBalance collapsible calibration target ($120) and ran some tests with both cameras and without a ton of effort, ended up getting the two cameras very closely matched which will now (obviously) save me untold time in color-correction in post.

The top frame in the bottom image is a video frame out of the D7000 with the bottom frame coming out of the D600. This thing is my new 'don't leave home without it' tool.

uuid-1800px-inriverimage_380077.jpg

comp.jpg

4. Collapse Details
    I forgot to mention that you can also get charts to tweak the color in post.

5. Collapse Details
    I have one of these that I use for shooting artwork and portraits;
    1448298494000_465286.jpg
    My challenge has been getting content from two cameras to match when shooting video, in no small part because I don't think the color correction tools available in FCPX are consistent across a timeline - and the color balance & match color features are significantly underwhelming.

6. Collapse Details
    You could export an XML and do your color correcting in Resolve.

7. Collapse Details
    It sounds so easy when you read that sentence back! Of course the exporting an XML part is easy; it's the actually doing the color correcting in Resolve (which I just installed on the weekend) that makes my head want to explode; pretty steep learning curve in the little time I've been able to give it so far.

I'll spend more time looking for some online tutorials that don't, like most of those I've looked at so far, assume I have previously spent hours using the software already; they fly over steps which are very likely second-nature to those who've used the package before, but have left me asking my computer wtf did he just do...?!

Quote Originally Posted by Imamacuser View Post
    You could export an XML and do your color correcting in Resolve.