Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Detail and Skin Detail Gate Tests
    Hello,

I haven't really seen any tests like the one I have done, and I have gotten so much from this community that I thought I'd like to give back and perhaps start a discussion around these.

On vimeo you can see the whole 4 mins of me changing settings and the difference it makes. I left the on-screen menus on so that we could see what I was selecting. A bit annoying but it helps me to remember and get a very quick view.

Some initial thoughts:
    I find in camera Detail at 5 looks better than Sharpening in Resolve.
    I find Crisp Setting makes no difference. - Need to Understand how it works.
    I couldn't really make the Skin Detail Gate work in a way that gave me any visible results. - Need to check with you guys if the workflow was right?

It's a pity the instruction manual is so skimpy in these sections. Hard to understand how to use these features.

https://vimeo.com/239170740

Shot with Natural Light
    Daylight WB
    Custom Mode
    10 Bit 24Pfs
    S-Log
    S-Gamut

Lens is Tair 11A with PL Mount - 135mm - No ND - Shot Wide Open

NR - Set at 30

This test is inspired by the forum pushing the camera, and trying to find out what the different menus may hide. I find CineEI mode as my default, but lately, shooting in Custom has opened up new possibilities.

Color Corrected in Resolve 14 -
    Node 1 WB
    Node 2 - F35_LC709 LUT

Here are some screen grabs:

Untitled_1.1.1.jpgUntitled_1.1.2.jpgUntitled_1.1.3.jpgUntitled_1.1.4.jpgUntitled_1.1.5.jpgScreen Shot 2017-10-20 at 4.09.24 PM.jpg
    Last edited by rbirnbaum; 10-20-2017 at 03:57 PM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    I know I am writing this on my own... but I am starting to understand the skin gate a little better. This Camera Flyer helped me get it a little more...

Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 10.23.05 PM.jpg

http://www.broadcaststore.com/pdf/mo...hure%201_0.pdf

So, for the skin detail test you can pick a hue that you want to reduce detail from. I was doing the opposite. I was adding detail.
    The other 2 options for picking hues are for adding detail or excluding hues that may have lost detail when you reduced detail on the skin hue.

Pretty interesting technology in my opinion and might be a miracle with older people. It basically means that you can soften their skin and add detail to the eyes...

I will test this out and do a video about it.

If anyone has any insights, please chip in.

3. Collapse Details
    Nice work, please keep it up and keep posting your findings. I'm sure there will be a great reference in the future. I no longer have a F35 but have a 9000PL now so I am curious to see if this applies for my camera or not. Thanks for sharing.

4. Collapse Details
    Love the initiative, however these things are so easy to do in Davinci these days, I'd find it hard to justify the efforts on-set compared to simply capturing a nice clean SLOG/SGamut image.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    Love the initiative, however these things are so easy to do in Davinci these days, I'd find it hard to justify the efforts on-set compared to simply capturing a nice clean SLOG/SGamut image.
    Did some more tests today on the skin gate. If you put it in a shortcut to your user menu, it is really fast to access and activate. The benefit vs resolve is that again we are using the whole sensor info to extrapolate these skin gates. It actually gives a very pleasing effect on the skin, so I see this as a winner with certain talent. It also softens the skin hues without any further post, so it saves a lot of time. I am actually really impressed with the subtlety of the effect. Check my crows feet and cheek skin.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Wow, where is the crows feet?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Sttratos View Post
    Wow, where is the crows feet?
    Yo!

I Just did a 200% screengrab so that you can really appreciate the detail.

Crows Feet.jpg

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rbirnbaum View Post
    Yo!

I Just did a 200% screengrab so that you can really appreciate the detail.

Crows Feet.jpg
    For the record, what I meant was, the skin detail function seems to work well, as your crows feet all but vanished. I paid attention since you asked to check your crows feet.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Sttratos View Post
    For the record, what I meant was, the skin detail function seems to work well, as your crows feet all but vanished. I paid attention since you asked to check your crows feet.
    I honestly thought that you couldnít see any crows feet on my eyes to start with... and thatís i was just being ridiculous noticing the changes. And I just thought the picture would make you laugh! Sorry if I offended you. And Thanks for spending the time to check it out. Glad to get some confirmation from someone else who can tell the difference. I think on a larger projected screen this will definitely be more noticeable.

I am shooting a short film with an actress next week who is late 30ís trying to come across as early 30ís. Since we are using pretty low key lighting, I think the skin softening will look great.

Cheers again for the feedback!

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rbirnbaum View Post
    I honestly thought that you couldn’t see any crows feet on my eyes to start with... and that’s i was just being ridiculous noticing the changes. And I just thought the picture would make you laugh! Sorry if I offended you. And Thanks for spending the time to check it out. Glad to get some confirmation from someone else who can tell the difference. I think on a larger projected screen this will definitely be more noticeable.

I am shooting a short film with an actress next week who is late 30’s trying to come across as early 30’s. Since we are using pretty low key lighting, I think the skin softening will look great.

Cheers again for the feedback!
    No offense taken at all. I just wanted to clarify because your reply seemed as if you thought I was joking. But the skin detail does a nice job. I agree that it's probably better to get it done in camera if it works that well. I can't think of a time where you would sit in post and go, I wish I could go back and turn skin detail off to make this actress look older. If you do it's not the skin detail's fault. The problem is that many skin detail features are garbage making skin look blotchy or overall just out of focus. But this looks nice.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast