Thread: lighting cosy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Great tips on that Deakins thread.

I'm also thinking of changing location to this (but changing the lamp to one with shade):

Looks better for my purpose and the browned color of this room will help with light spill.

2. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    You don't have a lot of space for that instrument to the left, so I would strongly recommend using an instrument that has grids, the narrower the grid the better (you can stack two of them to help with this). The mus bounce you mentioned earlier will be too hard to control with that little space to the side. I would actually suggest you can continue to cheat the set to the right, since you won't need much extra space on the right side, to give yourself all the room to the left that you can for the possibility of flags to be set out of frame. That white stripe on the wall is going to be a bit of a PITA as it will tend to pop.

I'd suggest pulling the practical away from the wall a little, and knocking down the backside of the bulb to minimize how much light pushes onto that wall (carefully applied blackwrap, or spraying it with Streaks 'n Tips). I'd also think about playing that practical on the hot side so that it actually lights the actors a bit, it will help the realism of the shot.

One thing that will help you with the left side of the wall is that you've got the mom filling that side of the frame (I am assuming from the angle of the shot you provided that she will be on the left side of frame). With this scheme she'll be essentially silhouetted against that wall, and if you find that you need a little more level on her you could give her a liner from an instrument just to the right of the bed, up against the wall. I'd keep that dimmed down quite low, just a little kiss of it to give her face some definition. That could be a small fresnel if necessary, although I think given the nature of the shot a little softer unit would look better, like a 1x1 Litepanel again with grid (to keep it off the rest of the bed).
    Charles Papert

3. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Ah Ok, you just posted that new pic. That room will definitely look better in terms of wall color. I'd change out the bedside table if possible, the white will pop pretty hard with that practical on it.
    Charles Papert

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks Charles, great tips! I hadn't thought about the white bedside. Maybe getting a dark cloth over it will fix it. Something in the same tone as the wall and bed.

In this new set, I have a lot more space to the left and right. So maybe I could get away with bouncing mus (I love the soft light of bounced mus, I must say) and flagging it hard. What do you think of getting a 500w fresnel unit against a 4x4 frame of muslin and then two black solids cutting the light and allowing it to reach ONLY the father and daughter?

On the mother, from your tips, I would use a backlight to silhouette her from the background and a dimmed fill light from the right side of the frame? Would the fill light be CTB'd to simulate moon light?

Thanks

5. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Bounced mus is indeed lovely, but it is tough to work with when you need to make sharp cuts, and here you are trying to keep it on the subject but off the wall and the practical. That's a pretty tight cut, and you'd need at least a 4x4 sider (probably more like 6') to get it sharp enough. And while you are at it, you may want to top it to keep it from picking up the ambience in the room...and maybe another sider to regulate the amount on the mother...before you know it, you've made a really huge snoot for that bounce! It can be done but it's a lot of work and gear to control a bounce in that environment.

You wouldn't need a backlight to silhouette the mother, you'll probably have enough light on the wall from the practical that she will be silhouetted against it already. I'm suggesting something like a 3/4 backlight on her from the right. Again I'm not positive of your intended frame but it seems like in order from left to right it will be the mother, the practical and then the father and daughter, so the "logic" of her getting some edge light from the right will look correct in this instance since she is effectively to the left of the lamp as far as camera sees it. So the instrument would be just out of frame right, up against the wall, giving her a little rim. Again, keeping this very low level will make it more subtle. If you have the ability to arm this head out over the bed (essentially above the headboard), that might be nice too. Could be as small as a 150 fresnel for instance.
    Charles Papert

6. Collapse Details
    Got it Charles! So a chimera with eggcrate should be the way to go. I'll still need the solids but it'll be much easier to control the spill.

The 3/4 light on the mother... would you place diffusion paper on the barn doors just to tame it down a bit?

7. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Quote Originally Posted by David Evans View Post
    The 3/4 light on the mother... would you place diffusion paper on the barn doors just to tame it down a bit?
    Sure. As I said, I'd probably do this with a 1x1 myself. You just have to make sure that it doesn't start leaking onto the father and child (or if they swing an arm out etc).
    Charles Papert

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks for all the help!

Here are two grabs. Well, it's a bit yellow, but I haven't color corrected and graded yet. And I actually like the warm tones. I may have gone a bit overboard with the light on the mother, but it's not too distracting, I think...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Nice! Didn't realize it was happening so imminently.

Yes, you probably could have knocked down the return on the mom a half stop, a little goes a long way on that--and she does seem to be blocking up slightly on the left side of frame against the background, you did a very good job flagging over there! I think the fix for that would have been to move her closer to camera and a little camera left, making her larger in frame and blocking less of the side table and lamp. That's based purely on looking at this isolated composition--not knowing the story and how connected or not connected she is to the other two at the moment would dictate how she is presented in the shot (your version serves to connect them more than what i suggested above).

Otherwise though, looks good! Did you end up using any fill or is this just natural return from the key? (depending on the room, sometimes that just does it)
    Charles Papert

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks Charles. Yeah, I wish the rental company would have the set of scrims I asked but unfortunately they didn't have any for that particular set of lights. I was still able to use a nd gel on that light. It's not too distracting, I hope.

Yeah, it was crucial for the mother to be close to them story wise. It's a family moment.

I didn't use any fill. Right side of the frame there's a white wall that served as the perfect bounce

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast