Thread: lighting cosy

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Re: LED vs. Tungsten. I'm on the record as being a "Tungsten Guy", but LED's have come a long way(at least the higher end stuff). Looking back at my shoots over the last several months, and I hate to admit this, I have to go all the way back to June for the last time I pulled a tungsten instrument out of a case. Excluding HMI's, it's been mostly Astra's(in chimeras), Sola's and Hive's. I still do not use the Hive's on people, their preset 3200K is green, just like all of the other tests out there have shown. Hive needs to fix this with a firmware update. I can "dial it out" with the color mixing panel on the app, but you shouldn't have to. I have a client with a bunch of Litemats, but I wasn't overly impressed with them. At least not in the environment we were using them. Fidgety and fragile connections/cables and not enough output, especially vs. Astra's. Maybe the newer versions with the new connectors are better and if we were in a more controlled lighting environment....
    There are still issues with certain instruments leaning to a color cast as you described. The important distinction is what kind of spectrum they are pushing overall, whether they are showing significant spikes or not. If not, you can generally leave on a specific correction gel and be fine (I rejected the Kino Celebs for a long time because they were magenta, but eventually was convinced to use them with 1/8 plusgreen and they were fine). If their output is spiky then you can't fix it with gels and they are to be avoided on faces.

Litemats are indeed an evolution--having used Literibbon almost since the beginning I'm used to their quirks, but they are improving past that phase, and it's super helpful to be able to strip them down and tape the bare emitters to a wall or ceiling of a car. And their light quality is solid.
    Charles Papert

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Love it. What's it for?
    Thanks! It is for a music video I shot recently. Needed to keep the set cool for HMU. LEDs came handy for not adding to the temperature of the Joker 800 and the Tungsten 500 open face. However, maybe that is a moot point, since we weren't recording sound and could keep the air conditioning running

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Evans View Post
    Thanks! Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the lighting setup. It was crazy how many flags I had on, just to keep the light augmentation where I wanted it and also avoid the room from bouncing more than it should. Basically, I had a 500w fresnel on the left with a grid on and a flag to keep the light away from the wall and lamp. I also had a light coming from the right to light the mother with diffusion paper on the barn doors. That light was a 500w too, but with ND gel to tone it down and two flags to keep the light from hitting the ceiling and the wall, thus keeping the cosy ambience. I also had more flagging on the left side of the mother, to keep the ratio correct and avoid light bouncing on her left side.

Lights had 1/8 CTO gel to keep it nice and warm and consistent with the temperature on the lamp.

Cheers
    Good job, working with such hard lights!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345