Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    I have had great success removing focus pulsing by applying warp stabilizer in premiere pro.

interested what the reaction from canon will be.
    C100,ninjablade,3 xc10's,ef 24-70L2,8, ef 24-105L is f4, ef-s 10-22 , ef 70-300L is 3,5-5,6 , ef 17-40L f4, samyang fisheye 8mm, sigma Art 18-35 f1,8 , ef 100mmL is f2,8, sigma Art 50-100 f1,8

2. Collapse Details
    Canon said they have never seen that issue before. They are having me send it in for service. Very helpful on the phone. Only had the camera for a week, hopefully the issue is resolved.

3. Collapse Details
    Have you tried this without wearing glasses? Just a shot in the dark, but a majority of the time I've found facial recognition doesn't initialise when subjects are wearing eyeglasses on my C300ii. Doesn't pulse unless my focus box is over something plain with no detail/contrast.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NMSK View Post
    Have you tried this without wearing glasses? Just a shot in the dark, but a majority of the time I've found facial recognition doesn't initialise when subjects are wearing eyeglasses on my C300ii. Doesn't pulse unless my focus box is over something plain with no detail/contrast.
    Yea - had a few different shots the day prior with talent not wearing glasses. Same thing.

5. Collapse Details
    I have a C100mkII and a C200. It seems to me that you have two issues that interact. First, focus hunting and second focus breathing.

The issue of hunting has already been discussed in this thread and, yes, the C100 only uses DPAF in the centre (so, not for face tracking). However, the complaint is about focus breathing: where the angle of view changes when the lens is focussed. This will happen on any camera.

So, try this test. Set up a scene with a focus point in the foreground and another farther away. Put each of your lenses on the camera and rack focus between them while watching the composition. Focus breathing will be more or less evident depending on the lens (and if it is a zoom, the focal length).

So the problem is likely in the design of the lens (not the camera) and any focus shift will need to have this effect masked. The fact that the camera is fixed and autofocus is hunting just makes the problem visible.

Your solutions are to use a lens that breaths less (or not at all $$$), to keep a fixed focus for this kind of shot using DOF, to introduce camera movement so the edges of the scene are moving and the breathing is not noticed, or to try to fix it in post. You will need to do one of these any time you want to rack focus.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemilton View Post
    I have a C100mkII and a C200. It seems to me that you have two issues that interact. First, focus hunting and second focus breathing.

The issue of hunting has already been discussed in this thread and, yes, the C100 only uses DPAF in the centre (so, not for face tracking). However, the complaint is about focus breathing: where the angle of view changes when the lens is focussed. This will happen on any camera.

So, try this test. Set up a scene with a focus point in the foreground and another farther away. Put each of your lenses on the camera and rack focus between them while watching the composition. Focus breathing will be more or less evident depending on the lens (and if it is a zoom, the focal length).

So the problem is likely in the design of the lens (not the camera) and any focus shift will need to have this effect masked. The fact that the camera is fixed and autofocus is hunting just makes the problem visible.

Your solutions are to use a lens that breaths less (or not at all $$$), to keep a fixed focus for this kind of shot using DOF, to introduce camera movement so the edges of the scene are moving and the breathing is not noticed, or to try to fix it in post. You will need to do one of these any time you want to rack focus.
    Canon actually took a look at the video and they had never seen anything like it. They tried to reproduce with the same camera/lens setup and were unable so they think it's software or hardware related. They had me 2 day air it in for service as it's a brand new camera. I'll keep the thread updated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12