1. Collapse Details
    Need Compositing FEEDBACK on Scene
    Hey guys, looking for feedback on this scene I'm compositing. Does everything blend well? I am still working on sound effects for now.

https://youtu.be/4GkKWADWqWE

2. Collapse Details
    Nice. The light and shadow of the laser zapper doesn't match the scene at all and so does not look like it is in the scene, but looks more like a 2D overlay. It's vanishing also looks very 2D; not sure why.

The spider is much better but it's too sharp compared to the scene, which is soft. So it also looks artificial. Soften it up a bit. Its shadows are also unconvincing.

The guy in the white shirt (and everything for that matter) has camera pan blur and the spider does not.
    Last edited by Paul F; 10-09-2017 at 10:25 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Ok cool, thanks! I will adjust that today and repost. After staring at the screen for so long it gets hard to be able to distinguish a lot of the details like that lol

4. Collapse Details
    Agree on the depth blur and motion blur to match scene.

Also the lighting doesn't seem to ever change on the alien objects so it makes them look pasted in. You have some reflective changes, but not model lighting. Even if not fully accurate, some subtle lighting changes on the objects as they move could go a long way. Like the spider doesn't look as if it's standing under a tree when the tree isn't casting any shadows on it, or no shadows change as it walks, etc.

The sound FX don't always match or feel scaled to the scene correctly. Like when the spider lands its a weird and unexpected hit on the ground, timed wrong. Also his noises seem too loud for the scene. They should be fainter and panned to the left to start. There are also should be sounds in the city street. I know that all may come later in post but its a big part of making something feel part of the scene.

When the spider jumps from the wall the timing seems off, he looks like he crossed over the same plane as the guy. Spider should jump sooner, or perhaps teleport with a cool little effect.

On the floater, check how the lens flare cuts off as it crosses the person. And should I see a reflection in the window?

Finally, check the scale on the uterus scan. That spot it looks like the floating alien object is proportionally scaled wrong (suppose to be in front, but size/depth wise appears to just be sort of flat and to the side).
    Last edited by filmguy123; 10-10-2017 at 12:48 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

Filmguy123 - I actually was intending on making the spider teleport off the wall so the fact that you mentioned this was ironic

For now I softened up the spiders a bit and made some subtle lighting adjustments to move slowly while it's under the tree and also in the alley. I also adjusted their shadows even more to try and match the ground they're walking on.

Let me know if this works better.

https://youtu.be/W-3RHQMN3k0

For now I have cut the drone portion out because I will need to rework that portion with the scanning of the uterus, etc.

6. Collapse Details
    Coming from a lighting / photography background, what takes me out of the illusion is that the lighting is off... The animation works for me, but if I had to do it, I would probably when lighting those spiders, recreate the buildings around them, so the light follows the environment in the plate and then turn their visibility off in the render.

Fx in the alley... before it reaches the homeless girl, the lighting is soft because you only have a big soft source that is the sky coming down between the buildings and then when it comes closer and into the directional light from the street the drop shadows would make sense.

The same with under the tree, you'd have droplets of light hitting the spider through the tree.

Animation gives it a soul, texture and lighting gives it realism.