Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Had it for a week now and done some technical tests against my 702;
    Gain - using pink noise from a monitor to a fixed mic position the MP-6 needs about 8db more gain to get the same signal level as the 702. This is measured by importing the sequences into Adobe Audition and viewing the frequency analysis plots. The specifications say the MP-6 has more gain (76 vs 67.4) but it seems to be only a few more db
    Noisefloor - using a 150ohm metal film resistor as a load on the inputs and the same gain settings as above the noisefloor of the MP-6 is about 4 db higher.This is still way lower than any mic's noisefloor and is of no practical consequence.
    Battery life is pretty weak with 4x AA energiser 2300mah - likley will get a Hawkwoods NPL adapter.
    Pre amps sound very good but as yet I've not had a chance to do real side by side recordings.
    USB interface sound quality - amazing!. I've got a Focusrite Forte and Scarlet 2i2 but this is another league through my PreSonus ERIS E5's. I'm greatly enjoying myself just listening to my music collection and could go as far as saying if anyone wants a good USB audio interface then this is it!
    Interface - obviously a bit more complicated than the 7 series but once you get it set up it's pretty flexible and have had no trouble setting up my M+S mics.
    Faults - Confusion over Gain and Fader operation. In basic mode what appears to be 'gain' is actualy the fader + gain 'ganged' together to create extra range. I'm not sure how this arranged internally and I assume gain is analogue and fader is digital?? ( Sound Devices won't tell me....) In advanced mode you can set fader to zero and just use gain but it 's not set by the front knobs and has to be set in a submenu and then via the side controler so it's a bit fiddly.

2. Collapse Details
    The gain controls the preamp gain to the ISO tracks. The fader function is an internal digital mixer for monitoring and the various outputs.

3. Collapse Details
    I tend to use the basic mode for the gain on my mixpre3 if I am just using it as recorder. Fader control is for mixing, which is something I don't intend to use a mixpre unless I am sending a wireless hop to camera.

I agree that it appears that basic just uses the analog gain in series with the digital gain.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123