Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by vlodeck View Post
    I got an offer to exchange my codex for Sony SR-R1 recorder with 4 256gb srmemory cards and card reader (it also does 12bit 444). If anyone would prefer that, let me know.

Attachment 127077
    The SR-R1 is in my opinion the best recorder for the F35. Besides allowing the recording of the highest quality the F35 is capable of, it offers enough different recording options to fit any demand, easy straight forward workflow without any transfers, drag and drop in Resolve and nicely completes the F35. Although by far not the cheapest.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaveum View Post
    The SR-R1 is in my opinion the best recorder for the F35. Besides allowing the recording of the highest quality the F35 is capable of, it offers enough different recording options to fit any demand, easy straight forward workflow without any transfers, drag and drop in Resolve and nicely completes the F35. Although by far not the cheapest.
    I'll have to disagree as SR-R1 is more power hungry, doesn't dock, needs IFbox to output the SDI signal and doesn't do select fps and ramping.

3. Collapse Details
    But so why are you selling it? Selling the F35 too?

4. Collapse Details
    Codex sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Sttratos View Post
    But so why are you selling it? Selling the F35 too?
    No, keeping the F35, just going with odyssey 7q. Also my BM video assist with aja 3gm multiplexer is up for sale if anyone's interested.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by vlodeck View Post
    I'll have to disagree as SR-R1 is more power hungry, doesn't dock, needs IFbox to output the SDI signal and doesn't do select fps and ramping.
    Some of that is accurate, some of it isn't.

The SR-R1 is not more power hungry. Both draw 30W. But if memory servers me well, the Codex increases to 40W when doing higher frame rates. Regardless the Codex set up is larger and considerably heavier. The Codex recorder alone is heavier than the SR-R1 with a media card. When you add the big Codex magazine bricks the weight difference is substantial.

The SR-R1 can be docked to the F35 quite easily. Not in stock form but easily achievable. I don't have a picture of my set up at hand but this illustrates it very well:

Compare the compactness of the above to the bulkiness of the Codex.

Yes you need an interface box. Not necessarily the Sony IF box. The Codex basically just has the IF box built in as well. The added weight of an interface box to the SR-R1 still won't make it as heavy as the Codex. A solution is uncomplicated enough.

It's true the SR-R1 can't do the variable FPS or speed ramping. It's a firmware limitation rather than a SR-R1 limitation. But those are really the only solid advantages of the Codex.

Since ramping from and to 50fps and from and to 24fps is so narrow, this is a feature which sounds better than it really is. The difference is so small that at times it may go unnoticed. It just doesn't have the dramatic effect one normally expects from ramping.

As for variable FPS, the majority of shooting happens at 24fps. Undercranking is easily accomplished in post for the very few times you need it. Since the F35 tops at 50fps, for real slow motion you need a high speed camera anyway. So despite these advantages over the SR-R1 I put them as nice to have features rather than must haves. They sound more useful than they actually are in my opinion. At least in a real production scenario.

So given the easier and faster workflow, the excellent recording format offering, the smaller and more up to date media and technology, the all around smaller size and weight and considering it will cover all the important needs of the F35 like 50fps and 12-bit 444, the SR-R1 is a more sound choice in my opinion. All this makes for an easier to use and more uncomplicated experience in the real world, not off set by having variable FPS and ramping.

Even the recording trigger in the Codex won't have a substantial impact in my opinion. The F35 is not a solo camera. You normally have an AC which can easily start and stop the camera for you. The 7Q which is the most popular option for the F35 doesn't have a trigger either. It's not something that is very missed with this camera. Having said that, I made my own which I normally have with my hand-grip but can be moved anywhere. I never had a problem with the fan while recording in closed quiet quarters. Neither have I had a heat problem. So having the fan on manual works well.

Opinions will naturally differ. This is just mine after closely considering all the options and personally testing them with the F35, including the Codex Onboard M recorder.

If you notice, the Codex seems to be the most passed along piece of equipment within the F35 community. I personally know two F35 users who bought it because of how nice the features sounded, and then sold it because in practice it wasn't as useful as what the specs would suggest.

It's quite archaic tech at this point. Even older than the F35 itself. The V-mount battery sized media bricks, the transfer station workflow, which is Mac only by the way and may be a downer for some, all just makes it more cumbersome and slow to work with.

It is still a great piece of gear and may be exactly what somebody is looking for. I just wanted to present another option, which in my case made more sense. But needs are a very personal thing. I for example don't like monitor recorders. Definitely not with the F35. The camera seems incomplete and feels unbalanced. I also despise touch screens.

To each his own as they say. There is no right or wrong. As long as you get the shots you want.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    how much these goes for ?

7. Collapse Details

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dhessel View Post
    I am not entirely sure what you are talking about but I can assure you the Codex does indeed do 50P 10 bit 444.
    I meant the Sony Recorder... yes the Codex does 50p 14bit 444

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CamNoble View Post
    how much these goes for ?
    If you google it: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...order_for.html

I'm sure you could find it for less than that used.

10. Collapse Details
    Sold.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12