Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    I am (as of 30/11/2019 ) still waiting for my ATEM Mini to arrive....

Re the HDMI output that is shown as a monitor for the operator or to a recorder. None of the workflows showed it as an audience screen.

2. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Quote Originally Posted by jamedia.uk View Post

Re the HDMI output that is shown as a monitor for the operator or to a recorder. None of the workflows showed it as an audience screen.
    Yes, got it. I have been using their switchers for five years for an entirely different workflow than they market so I'm used to thinking outside the box with them. I would just expect that this switcher would fit the bill for users who only have HDMI sources and are on a budget who will use it for things other than streaming. I think we are all agreeing that lack of multiview was an oversight, even for the exact workflows they show. One more HDMI out that has a multiview option would have been a good choice. Arguably it could have cannibalized sales of the Television Studio HD, but then again this is a company that sells a free version of Resolve that has at least 90% the capabilities of the $299 version.

One extra note: if one is planning to do chromakeys with this unit, you need to switch the HDMI feed to Preview to properly set up the key, as the color qualifier window is only visible in that mode. Took me quite a while to figure that one out. As a result I will be leaving it monitoring permanently in Preview for my purposes.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPapert View Post
    Yes, got it. I have been using their switchers for five years for an entirely different workflow than they market so I'm used to thinking outside the box with them. I would just expect that this switcher would fit the bill for users who only have HDMI sources and are on a budget who will use it for things other than streaming. I think we are all agreeing that lack of multiview was an oversight, even for the exact workflows they show. One more HDMI out that has a multiview option would have been a good choice. Arguably it could have cannibalized sales of the Television Studio HD, but then again this is a company that sells a free version of Resolve that has at least 90% the capabilities of the $299 version.
    I think the ATEM mini is aimed at YouTubers but for a lot of us this fits the bill 90% plus. The problem is we all want "just one more" different feature added :-) BMD have done that but it is one of their >$1K ATEM's.
    Well we can live with it. I think the multi preview could be a FW upgrade. Though hopefully a switchable option for those who want to use the HDMI as a main output or audience monitor.
    Though we can't really complain at 255 (about $255 ex tax)

4. Collapse Details
    Yes. I was hoping this device would help me as a one man band to offer some small streaming products. I do not know if I will buy it as the switching will be kind of off kilter if I am still operating a camera or two. I would need it to be very simple as in a button press per camera. So I am not in the market for a $1k ATEM, but would buy this if... The real value of this device is the encoding which is done in the ATEM. This takes the heat off of your laptop to send the stream. So many great features for this smaller market. I hope the company at least gives us a solid yes or no so we are not limbo/hoping land forever.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Three SDI inputs (two with loop out) and SDI out for program. Last box is a USB power hub for powering the converters. It's going into a rack cart otherwise I would be refining this further (the power hub could be replaced with a less bulky inline 5v stepdown and cable harness to the converters)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Hey there. Could you post more details about modifications ?

7. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    As seen in the picture above, I'm using Blackmagic SDI to HDMI micro converters on the first two inputs, and a Blackmagic bi-directional converter on the third input which is also converting the HDMI out to SDI (for my purposes I only need three inputs). The fourth box is an Anker 5-output USB hub. 6" USB A to micro-usb cables power the Blackmagic boxes and also an HDMI splitter (not shown) which will split the HDMI output two ways so I have it in both HDMI and SDI versions. This whole thing is mounting into a rack, I'm not using the top panel at all, just the software version of the panel. It certainly could still be used as intended with the top panel--the converter boxes only raise it a couple of inches and it stands almost flat--the USB hub is very slightly taller, but that could be fixed with a couple of layers of tape shimming up the BM boxes. Waiting for a bunch of 6" and 12" HDMI to arrive tonight to finish it off.

It will be a bit messy with all of the cables behind it, but again it's going inside a cart so I won't see any of that, just the front surface as seen above. I think if this was going to be used as a desktop switcher I would use longer HDMI cables and put all the extra hardware into a separate assembly, maybe 3D print an enclosure for it to make it tidier.

The cost for all of the above is around $200.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234