Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
  1. Collapse Details
    I always get criticized here for saying that AF is a no go in general. Ill say it again. Looking to Auto anything as a general purpose tool is and will always be a mistake. You want to be in the drivers seat and in control of focus and exposure at all times. There is a minute fringe of shots that can be gotten with AF but for 99% of what you do as a shooter it will only screw you.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Brown View Post
    As far as the C200 and AF I would look upon it as not to be trusted. It reminds me a bit of the issues I've experienced with numerous cameras from Panasonic and AF. It hunts now and then. In fact I much prefer the smooth and slower AF on some Sony cameras. Took my FS5 today and went around the house to try out AF a bit more and it actually appears to be more consistent in what it can do. It's not fast but it doesn't go bananas either.

3 out of 5 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by icarusfilm View Post
    I always get criticized here for saying that AF is a no go in general. Ill say it again. Looking to Auto anything as a general purpose tool is and will always be a mistake. You want to be in the drivers seat and in control of focus and exposure at all times. There is a minute fringe of shots that can be gotten with AF but for 99% of what you do as a shooter it will only screw you.
    You don't know what the future will bring. Auto WB may be perfect for an entire documentary and the tech is only improving. In ten years time we may be laughing at anyone still focussing manually. Autofocus is now (if your camera allows) just another choice. And it's not just AF yes/no, we have choices between many types of autofocus. Continuous AF with no face tracking for example could definitely screw you. A combination of one push AF then manually focussing may be faster than completely manual. It all comes down to doing your homework and knowing which focus type is appropriate - full manual, different types of full auto, or combinations of both types.

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Agree with above from Rob, who knows where we will be in 3-4 yrs time, the technology is being pioneered by mobile phone companies. An average to the good camera with a substantial processing brick attached.
    Apples new security facial recognition of applied to cinema camera may even allow you to programme focus pulls when the talent reaches position, even recognising individual actors/actresses and focusing as required.
    Everything involving the pig is above board.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details

5. Collapse Details
    I wonder how many existing DVX200 owners plan on upgrading to the EVA1 ?
    It seems like the next logical step to upgrade from the DVX200, and to use the EVA1
    with the GH5 (another interchangeable camera with a similar look)
    IMO Panasonic should be pushing this upgrade path or offering customers some incentives to do so.
    Encouraging existing customers to upgrade and stay with the brand seems a lot easier than trying to win new customers.
    Just My 2 Cents.
    Last edited by tillhavis; 10-29-2017 at 10:18 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by icarusfilm View Post

I have used it on my own camera (C200), and for me your assertion that only a small amount of shots will work with it has been proven to be false in my case.

I will say that DPAF is the first (and only) autofocus tech that I've been comfortable trusting because it's that good. Times change and you'd have been right about af until dpaf became a thing.

The stills world went through this too, and now it's not uncommon at all for pros to use af on a stills camera.

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Brown View Post
    I've used C200 for a month now and I actually find AF to be unreliable many times. It hunts very much during sit down interviews and sometimes it just doesn't lock.
    What lenses and af modes are you using? I haven't gotten any hunting on a Canon 24-105 in auto/manual mode. Maybe you should make a separate thread about it over on the Canon sub so we don't derail...

But that doesn't mirror my experience with dpaf.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    I most often use Canon 17-55, 24-105L, 70-200L and I don't think it's the lenses. In most situations focus is lost now and then. It's a bit of let down as I had expected it to lock on a face always and stay locked but that's not the case with the C200. To me this makes it inconsistent thus can't be trusted as much as I would like it to and there's no indication looking at the LCD that focus is shifted for a brief moment in some cases. I use two different C200 and they both behave the same.

Compared to how some of the Sony cameras I've used they are slow to nail focus but that also makes them more trustworthy in not going totally wrong.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tillhavis View Post
    I wonder how many existing DVX200 owners plan on upgrading to the EVA1 ?
    It seems like the next logical step to upgrade from the DVX200, and to use the EVA1
    with the GH5 (another interchangeable camera with a similar look)
    Certainly agree. I'm very interested in the EVA1 as a step up in capabilities from those cameras. B&H says estimated availability is early December, so hopefully DVXuser members will be reporting their own experiences soon.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617