Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ollywood88 View Post
    I am in a similar boat I have a CANON 1DC and looking for a gimbal rather than having to buy a smaller camera.

What is the best solution?
    If you're in a production environment and don't mind the 'dorkiness factor', a Ronin-M + EasyRig type of a deal is my recommendation.

As we all know there are a lot more involved setups out there, including arms that might take more of the 'walking bounce' out of the equation. But I think the Ronin-M and some sort of support from above stays true to the format. The Ronin-M alone does the job, but you will get tired over time.

Will you restrict your shooting to wide angle, deep DOF? If you want to control focus and your rig starts to grow, you might want to go straight to a beefier system.

As much as I'd like to believe the Crane 2 would work with a 1D body, I'd only consider it for my XC10. I can't see how you can be effective with a gimbal of that type for more than very short bursts. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
    @andreemarkefors

2. Collapse Details
    update on 1DXmkII and other "too heavy" cameras to be able to get dynamic balance. the 1DXmkII "will not" achieve dynamic balance on the Crane 2. yes it will work sort of but the motors are working way to hard to keep it in order. in order to archive DB i bought these steel plates from a hardware store. for the 1DXmkII i need to put "3" of these below the camera platform. right now I'm just using electrical tape to attach them and it works just fine. with these 3 plates i "can" get DB. the bad is the camera has limited movement. it won't tilt back very far as it quickly hits the back motor. still its usable for lots of shooting. on my A7sII with BATTERY GRIP i need to put 2 of these plates under the camera platform to achieve DB. this camera setup "DOES" have full range of movement and is a lot less heavy vs the 1DXmkII. i love this gimbal even with its limitations. hope this helps some that are wondering about its weight / handling abilities. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...374959

3. Collapse Details
    Basically any camera with the battery trip install will be too tall for the crane 2 to be properly balance. It can work for a very short period before the motor overheat, or if u are not moving too much.

Even the Ronin-M cannot balance without installing the extension rods.

Try the Ronin-mx, which is way better.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinghusband View Post
    Basically any camera with the battery trip install will be too tall for the crane 2 to be properly balance. It can work for a very short period before the motor overheat, or if u are not moving too much.

Even the Ronin-M cannot balance without installing the extension rods.

Try the Ronin-mx, which is way better.
    i have a Ronin and a Ready Rig but is not ideal for many scenarios. the Crane 2 "will" work with the added weight on the 1DXmkII but with limited mobility but still very useable for many gigs. you need to use 2 hands but is still manageable and for lots of situations a much better choice than the Ronin and RR. its great with the A7sII as well but with battery grip still a 2 hand operation as the gimbal itself is still .7lbs heavier than the smaller Crane. the A7sII without battery grip might be better to go for the smaller gimbal so you "can" use one hand to operate. i still highly recommend the Crane 2 as you can turn on a dime where the bigger rig is much more cumbersome in tight quarters.

david

5. Collapse Details
    update...

i ordered this longer arm for the Crane 2 that holds the camera. from the time i ordered it i will be waiting at least 1 month or more. will report back when i get it and test.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

david

6. Collapse Details
    Cool. Let us know how it works when you get it.
    Jaime Vallés
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by david_p View Post
    update...

i ordered this longer arm for the Crane 2 that holds the camera. from the time i ordered it i will be waiting at least 1 month or more. will report back when i get it and test.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

david
    Amazon is conservative with shipments from China. If the part is in stock, you could get it a lot sooner than Amazon's estimate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12