1. Collapse Details
    12-35mm 2.8 NO FOCUS past 12mm?
    Hi all,

I was testing out my GH5 with the first gen 12-35 2.8, then out of no where it just stopped focusing in all modes, including manual. To figure out if it was a body or lens issue, I grabbed my other two lenses 25mm 1.4 Leica & 45-10mm and no issues, both worked fine in all modes. Focus completely stops working past 12mm, when I zoom out everything gets blurry, the only thing that bring thing back into focus is if I zoom back to 12mm and wait a few seconds to refocus, so as of now, my 12-35 2.8 is a 12mm 2.8. I've search online for hours and could only find one instance of this. I've, reset the camera, tried re loading the lens soft ware and camera, changed the focusing options in the menu system - nothing. Has any one here seen this happen? I emailed Panasonic and opened a case a few minutes before posting this, the lens or camera for that matter hasn't been subject to any trauma so I'm assuming the focus by wire issue motor issue - bad way to build a lens, especially at this price point Panasonic.
    "it's not what or whom you use, it's how you use them..."

2. Collapse Details
    I would still try it on another Panasonic or Olympus body if you have access to one, also make sure the lens contacts are clean. I use the same lens with my GH5 on a gimbal and have never had any serious focus issues. Like you said maybe the motor has gone bad, how old is the lens?

3. Collapse Details
    I've had it for over a year, I checked the contacts - clean. This is the first time I had a issue with it. I have a gf2 tucked away somewhere I'm gonna try it on...

4. Collapse Details
    This just started happening to me, and I assumed my lens was simply broken, because it is rather old. Identical issue, however, makes me think maybe something else is going on.
    Stuart Hooper

5. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I don't think the lens being old is the issue... Spoke to someone else that had the same experience, had to sent in to Panasonic, their lens was still under warranty. Panny fixed it and sent it back ( took forever) I think the lens has issues they must know about. This fly by wire focusing system is not reliable. No good, if it craps out on a shoot.

6. Collapse Details
    Apologize if this is off topic, but my 12-35 (original) only focuses after pressing record (on AFC). Won't focus without recording a clip. Perhaps it's a setting but I haven't found it, any tips?

7. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by rokkor View Post
    I was testing out my GH5 with the first gen 12-35 2.8, then out of no where it just stopped focusing in all modes, including manual.
    I bought my 12-35mm f/2.8 with my GH3 camera, and it has been going strong for 4+ years now.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    I bought my 12-35mm f/2.8 with my GH3 camera, and it has been going strong for 4+ years now.
    Same here for about 3+ years.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Sorry no tips on that matter...

10. Collapse Details
    (UPDATE) Whats up folks, to keep this short, after sending the lens to PANNY service center, they replaced it with a new unit in warranty. They found a couple things wrong from the focus mechanism not working and coating issues on the glass. If you have or do come across this issue in the future, best bet is to send it in, mileage will vary though.