Thread: Nano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Nano
    Hey all!

It's been a HOT minute since i've posted here--or even visited the site! I used to be super active and participated in some of the fests.
    But I thought I'd share a short I made... It's a proof of concept that we're looking to sell as a series to the likes of Amazon/Netflix/HBO.
    Check it out and let me know what you think. I'll post some BTS stuff below...

A Sci-Fi proof-of-concept short film, directed by Mike Manning.

In the near future, nanotechnology administered into the bloodstream can sync with computer apps to augment the human genome. A new law mandating and regulating this once elective procedure meets resistance from hacktivists who are conspiring to thwart the impending roll-out of “Nano version 2.0.”

#nanothefilm | http://nanothefilm.com | http://imdb.com/title/tt4970024/

BME FILMS presents “NANO” • starring BROOKE BUTLER SEBASTIAN VALLENTIN LAURA JAMES BAYARDO DE MURGUIA BRITTANY RICHARDS and LINDSEY GINTER • casting by KEVIN MOCKRIN, c.s.a. & KARINA WALTERS, c.s.a. • supervising sound designer MARK CAMPERELL, m.p.s.e. • visual effects supervisor JOHN STEWART • music by DANIEL WALTER • costume designer BRITTANY GUILLOU • edited by MIKE MANNING & HANNAH LONG • production designer JEREMY CISNEROS • director of photography KEVIN ZANIT • executive producers MIKE MANNING TOM ANDERSON WESLEY BARKER SEBASTIAN VALENTIN DANE NAIMY • produced by WESLEY BARKER • written by MIKE MANNING & TOM ANDERSON • directed by MIKE MANNING

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Great!

I love Scifi.

3. Collapse Details
    IMPRESSIVE Work !
    Good luck and hope it gets picked up.

4. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    I tried really hard and lasted just under 5 min. and my reaction is - this is super scary. I mean, this is really well made, technically. This is not amateur hour. I'm not talking about the artistic side, just purely technically, this stuff is on the level! Wow. I broke out in cold sweat, just thinking about the sheer amount of money and enormous effort this took. This is, no kidding, months of work, by a ton of people. This is the result of a lot of dedicated resources. So that's reality #1.

Now, reality #2 - I pride myself on being super tolerant (maybe I overestimate my abilities in that department). I really will watch just about anything if it has some area of interest. And this definitely does for me - DEFINITELY. I'm very interested in this, because I'm trying to get a series going myself. As anybody who has tried, knows, it's very, very hard. It's lottery odds. Especially if you have no credits in TV, are not a showrunner etc. And especially if you are doing original material rather than something based on IP. In other words, how people do it - or try to do it - to get it off the ground is a very, very interesting thing to me. So I will watch/read TV stuff like this, pilot proposals etc., like an animal.

So when I put #1 and #2 together, this is super scary. Because what does it mean? It means that a ton of people looked at the idea and decided, "hey, this is something we think is worth staking a lot of time and effort and money on". I mean, I barely manage to get a few people to read my stuff, and here we have a serious effort "Nano", that has had huge support from a ton of folks.

I am going to be super interested to see how this fares going forward. Maybe I'll catch it on netflix

My takeaway from this is to be extra critical of my own stuff. I thought that I was pretty ruthless with my material, but seeing this, I am going to double down on being self-critical. Wow, watching this gave me a serious scare.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Publimix View Post
    Great!

I love Scifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLove View Post
    IMPRESSIVE Work !
    Good luck and hope it gets picked up.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
    I tried really hard and lasted just under 5 min. and my reaction is - this is super scary.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you! I hope you were able to finish watching!

And for what it's worth... I didn't have 50+ crew because they believed in the project. I paid most of them. But the core people, dept heads, etc... Those are longtime friends and colleagues who absolutely believed in me and the project. Find those people and everything else follows!
    Last edited by Mike Manning; 09-25-2017 at 03:12 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Fantastic gripping stuff. Pace just right and very nice VFX. Nice to see a strong story line without over reliance on the effects. Would love to see a behind the scenes, specially the SFX side.

Really hope your successful with the network folk, please post if you get anywhere.

Richard
    www.dualpeaks.co.uk

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Riks View Post
    Fantastic gripping stuff. Pace just right and very nice VFX. Nice to see a strong story line without over reliance on the effects. Would love to see a behind the scenes, specially the SFX side.

Really hope your successful with the network folk, please post if you get anywhere.

Richard
    www.dualpeaks.co.uk
    Thanks. Not sure I have any BTS material for the SFX specifically. The sound design was done by Mark Camperell. He does the sound effects editing on CW's THE FLASH. Check out more of his work on his website, Empty Sea Audio.

As for the VFX... Your comment makes me smile because of how reliant the film actually is on its effects. There are 165 total VFX shots in the film (over 50%)! A lot of that is obvious, like the phones and veins and stuff. The silent killer was actually the set--We shot during the day and blacked out the windows. The city skyline in the background is a composite.

Last edited by Mike Manning; 09-30-2017 at 12:19 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Mike, stellar work mate! Thanks for sharing some BTS shots as well. Very cool

9. Collapse Details
    Hey,

If anyone Los Angelenos wanna come out and see what the film looks like on the big screen (DCP with 5.1 mix), we're screening tonight in Marina del Rey at the AMC 6 at 9:30pm. Also screening in Glendale at the Pacific Theaters Americana next Saturday. Info for both at the following link: http://www.nanothefilm.com/blog/2017...ano-screenings

10. Collapse Details
    Wow-zuh! THe work, the work, the work, jeez, I'm impressed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast