Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    I found the same thing when I did this with GH4 Cine-D and V-LOG L footage, the Logarist system instantly fixed the horrible yellow-greens I always saw with other color systems when shooting grass or tree leaves.

Can't wait until the Logarist system supports GH5 V-LOG L footage.
    I'm already using Logarist for my GH5 V-Log L footage, and it works great - including the PQ (HDR10) output LUTs from @Balazer.

Piotr
    Camera: Sony PXW-FS7 (plus A7Rii & GH5 B-cams), Shogun Inferno; lenses: Sony 28-135mm F4, FE 28mm F2, FE 50mm F1.8; Canon 16-35mm & 24-70mm F4 on Speed Booster; MFT Leica 35-100mm F2.8
    Editing System: DaVinci Resolve Studio; Asus X-99 Pro/USB31; i7-5960X CPU; 64 GB RAM; 2x GTX 1080 8GB GPU; 480 GB SSD system drive; 4x 3TB WD Black in RAID 0; 1TB M.2 NVMe cache drive; Decklink 4K Extreme 12G driving calibrated Samsung SUHD grading/delivery monitor

2. Collapse Details
    Report from the guy who started this thread:

I ended up testing a bunch of LUT's made in LUTcalc both with Slog3 shot on FS7 usually around 800-1250 ISO and also stuff shot on A7Sii with SLOg2 and the ISO on camera set to 1600 but overexposing another 1-2 stops to keep noise floor clean.

I've been having good luck with LUT's made Data in and Legal OUT (also turned off all clipping). Generally it works well when the ISO's I set in LUTCalc are a little higher than what I thought I was exposing for. The LUT's of course are just starting points and images still need tweaking re Saturation & Levels of course but they generally look pretty good and the color is usually spot on. ( I get carried away with secondaries also, but that's another story.)

I've had mixed results with Logarist and especially with the overexposed SLog2 A7Sii files. Here I found it had a tendency to clip highlights as was noted elsewhere. However I can't say I've worked with it carefully so don't want to be too critical.

One thing I've noticed in Lumetri/PP is that there isn't a good tool for bringing back the extreme highlights. I used to do these easily in FCP7 with a 3rd party highlight/shadow filter that was terrific. Apparently there was also something like that in premiere but it strobes on output and has never been replaced. Too bad. Especially when using Slog 2 way overexposed on the A7Sii there is clearly material left in the highlights that I can see in the log view but I can't seem to hold it once I add a LUT no matter what I do in Lumetri. My guess is this would be easy in Resolve.

I haven't had time to dig into Resolve yet but I can see right away that it will probably be a lot quicker and more intuitive than Lumetri just because you can clearly see and change what filters you've applied in what order . In Lumetri its just a lot easier to lose track of what you have or haven't done. Plus in Resolve it would be easier to make changes in more targeted area and levels.

3. Collapse Details
    I suggest using Premiere's RGB Curves when you have highlights you want to bring down. Apply the curves before the LUTCalc LUT or Logarist output LUT. RGB Curves does a better job than the curves built into Lumetri, I've found.

BTW, what ouput gamma and gamut are you selecting in LUTCalc?
    Last edited by balazer; 09-26-2017 at 06:26 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks i'll try that Balazer.

Target Gamma has been either Varicam 709 for more punch or 709A.
    Target Gamut has been 709A

I haven't experimented with target Gamut at all. Feels like a black hole to me.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyLevy View Post
    I haven't had time to dig into Resolve yet but I can see right away that it will probably be a lot quicker and more intuitive than Lumetri just because you can clearly see and change what filters you've applied in what order . In Lumetri its just a lot easier to lose track of what you have or haven't done. Plus in Resolve it would be easier to make changes in more targeted area and levels.
    Finally you are discovering the answer to your own question. Stop farting around with Premiere and just get going with Resolve right now, because sooner or later you are headed there anyway. Do you know any professional colorists who grade in Premiere, Avid, or FCP? I hope not. If you're going to shoot S-LOG or RAW you need to grade in Resolve, Baselight, or some other dedicated grading application.

I'm not saying that experimentation and finding out things for yourself is a waste of time, but I know you'd already be well on your way to figuring out Resolve if you had just gone there in the first place instead of spinning your wheels on other workflows. Here's the little secret about Resolve: It actually makes grading easier, not harder, once you see how simple it really is.
    Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
    http://www.dougjensen.com/

6. Collapse Details
    Doug, you are so quick to judge.

I had to start with Premiere because the editors of my projects are using Premiere and part of what I've been doing is getting them color corrected files & window dubs to work with that are integrated into their flow.

7. Collapse Details
    So quick to judge? I'm offering you support and encouragement that you are headed in the right direction. Never mind, I will stay out of it.
    Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
    http://www.dougjensen.com/

8. Collapse Details
    Doug

We have to be across both methods.

1) be able to tell clients how to do a basic de-log and ISO change so that our clients get to the point that they saw on the location monitor

2) make the best of our footage using the best tool

If we can't nail (1) then clients get driven away from log and we are forced to shoot baked and clamp reduce the potential of our cameras in camera - this procludes 2 ever happening

2 is clearly the way to go in the long term

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    So quick to judge? I'm offering you support and encouragement that you are headed in the right direction. Never mind, I will stay out of it.

It's the bedside manner, Doug. Your knowledge and opinions are valued. The delivery isn't always.
    Big sources matter.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Don't take me too seriously Doug, and definitely don't take that to mean you should bud out. I've been reading you for years , occasionally arguing with you and more than once been incredibly pissed off at your manner, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate your input a great deal and haven't learned a great deal from you as well. Keep it coming, i'm a big boy!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678